It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Kristol: 'It Won't Kill The Country If We Raise Taxes' On Millionaires

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
So does raising taxes on the rich pay down the debt?

Nope all it does it prop up already bad spending habits which is the first part of the BS second part of that BS is your cutting spending there is no need to raise taxes.

But hey why let common sense enter in to the coversation GO ON TAKE EVERY CENT OF THOSE EVIL RICH!!!

GO ON!

As if it is going to fix anything but keep an already bloated government more "fat" as in those DC fat cats. I an honestly sick to death the tax stupidity, and it is stupidity.

Abolish the freaking income tax and never let it be heard from agian that way it can not be used as a wedge issue to "win elections".

Taxing the rich is far from a solution for our debt. But it does help...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is very concerning to me. I have been hearing a lot of people on the Right begin to change their tune, as I'm sure many of you have heard as well, but the tax issue was one that I never thought I would see them bend on.

Why would they even begin to "compromise" on the tax issue if trickle-down economics was such a great economic driver?

Either they are not as fervent in their beliefs as we thought, or even they know trickle-down is the biggest lie ever perpetuated on the American people and are beginning to switch the party rhetoric for political purposes.
edit on 11-11-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Taxing the rich is far from a solution for our debt. But it does help..

No it doesn't the simple fact a minority is paying for that majority who is going around saying tax the rich just not me:

Those people who are taking more out of that system than paying in to that which is why they are going around saying tax someone the rich just not them.

If those programs were solvent in the first place of which they are no where near even close to being there is absolutely no reason to tax that minority one cent.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Cut the debt by how many trillion? I'd love to see the actual plan for that.

I beleive the amount being discussed was $6 trillion of total debt over 8 years - and read here - Bowles-Simpson plan.

I beleive there were other plans that would have reduced debt by $1.1 trillion over a similar period - obviously not as much, but also not as harsh and still at least getting spending under control.

But whether such a plan exists and is actually feasible doesn't matter because they clearly are not following that plan.

no - it was never agreed - it was part of the on-going budgetry impass.

So with that, no matter what plan you've read that may work probably won't because 1) they won't implement it because 2) they constantly spend spend print borrow spend.

Washington DC is incapable of solving this debt problem. Washington DC is the reason we have this debt problem.

I disagree with both of those statements.

Washington is perfectly capable of solving the problem - whether they do so is another question of course - but the debt is NOT so high as for there to be no possible solution.

and secondly, the debt is so high because the USA, as a whole, has overall been happy to run it up - with agricultural subsidies, artifically low tax rates and high spending, and the like

You as an individual might not like it - but it has only actually happened over the last 11-12 years.

A high-school home-economics student could tell you what happens if you increase spending while lowering income!!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by mr10k

Taxing the rich is far from a solution for our debt. But it does help..

No it doesn't the simple fact a minority is paying for that majority who is going around saying tax the rich just not me:

Those people who are taking more out of that system than paying in to that which is why they are going around saying tax someone the rich just not them.

If those programs were solvent in the first place of which they are no where near even close to being there is absolutely no reason to tax that minority one cent.

No. See there isn't anything wrong with the poor being taxed. That's the problem with what most of these conservatives are thinking. It's not "I don't want to pay money, tax the rich guy". It's "the rich guy isn't paying his fair share". And it may sound like whining, but it is the truth, the rich just aren't paying what they should.

I don't know where you got your info, ぶt It's not tax the poor less and the rich more, it's leave the poor tax as it is and tax the rich more to make it fair. 

I mean common sense can tell you it is unfair if the person with 100 $and the person with 10$ both pay the same tax. 

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Reduction of the debt by 1 trillion of course that is over a period of time oh like a decade which works out to 100 billion a year for 10 years.

But;

Does not take in to account the increase cost of programs, and other subsidies,inflation, and the increase cost of those services, compound population increases, and age progression.

No on is offering any solution worth a damn.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Apparently there is considering they are paying more per dollar, property taxes,state income taxes and everthing else everyone else is but that is not good enough.

So screw them as long as everyone else gets what they want who cares right?

Then there is that pesky little thing called the national deficit of 16 trillion dollars and is projected to be over 21 trillion by 2016

There is not enough cash from that minority to pay for that None.

Then go look up the term called unfunded liability which is the total amount owed to programs like SS, Medicare,Medicaid to the tune of 121 trillio dollars.

www.usdebtclock.org...

So agian there is a lot of things deeper wrong with the poor not paying "their fair share" and yet recieve the most benefits.

People can argue til the blue if the facethat they should pay instead the repeated attempts of raising taxes proves just how much they should be.

edit on 11-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
This is very concerning to me. I have been hearing a lot of people on the Right begin to change their tune, as I'm sure many of you have heard as well, but the tax issue was one that I never thought I would see them bend on.

Why would they even begin to "compromise" on the tax issue if trickle-down economics was such a great economic driver?

Either they are not as fervent in their beliefs as we thought, or even they know trickle-down is the biggest lie ever perpetuated on the American people and are beginning to switch the party rhetoric for political purposes.
edit on 11-11-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

The PEOPLE know that the Conservatives and republicans are FULL OF BALONEY, and NOW the conservative and republicans KNOW that they must CHANGE THEIR TUNE FAST or risk fading out completely. They were WRONG all along and now have to WAKE UP, realize what CENTURY that they are in, and start doing some of the things that "Liberals" and "lefties" have BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG!!!

They are in a very hard spot right now, and they have NO CHOICE but to make drastic changes to their backwards way of thought. America is telling them CHANGE or become EXTINCT!!!

Go America!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

The PEOPLE know that the Conservatives and republicans are FULL OF BALONEY, and NOW the conservative and republicans KNOW that they must CHANGE THEIR TUNE FAST or risk fading out completely

If that were true the House would have changed control but it didn't then there is the fact the current potus lost 8+ million votes in the last election.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Massive spending cuts in every department of government should be required before anything even close to a raise in taxes is considered.

Giving these jackasses more money is the same as giving more crack to a crackhead.

The "wealthy" already pay the lions share of the taxes in this nation.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
They don't want a tax hike because Obama won't tell them where it's going.

No budget for three years.

I wouldn't want a tax hike either.

How about we start at the beginning.
A budget.

I think it is about time we give them what they want...All Obama been saying for the last 4 years is we need to increase the tax on everyone over 250k. Now we all know that comes out to 100 billion more so basically nothing...

So I think we should go that direction and then he is out of ideas when that actually comes to not doing a damn thing to fix our situation.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

The PEOPLE know that the Conservatives and republicans are FULL OF BALONEY, and NOW the conservative and republicans KNOW that they must CHANGE THEIR TUNE FAST or risk fading out completely

If that were true the House would have changed control but it didn't then there is the fact the current potus lost 8+ million votes in the last election.

Hola NEO!

So then why do you think someone like Bill Kristol, and other people on the Right, would change their thinking on this issue that has been a staple of the Republican format for some time?

It doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Dear Aloysius,
Please refer to my earlier post. My point is I as well as most in this country had nothing to do with the illicit dealings of those who usurped power from us all. If you so choose, you are welcome to stand with and support the crooks if you wish. I choose not to!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Sweet, you provided a plan. I'll be happy to look it over, thanks for posting it. I'm guessing to pay off 1 trillion a year the US must make a lot of cuts and probably increase taxes. Either way, Washington DC is not following such a plan nor do they plan on following any plan. You can disagree with me but they are not capable of solving this problem because if they were we'd be on our way by now cutting this, raising that, and paying off this debt but they aren't. You can fall prey to illusion of the he said she said game of the 2 parties but they are clearly on the same team supported by their masters, who aren't the American people.

The debt will continue rise. The borrowing will continue. The printing will continue. The spending will continue. The conflicts/wars will continue. Our military presence will continue to grow. Washington DC has well proven itself incapable of solving or wanting to solve this major problem are taking no corrective actions what so ever. They are the reason for this debt.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by ajay59

Sorry - I thought you wanted to have a serious discussion, not go off on a flight of NWO/Illuminati/etc fantasy.

My bad.

link   

Doesnt mean much at all when you look at the BIG PICTURE.

But if hugging that warm blanket of false security does it for you, and if you know MORE than conservative economists, AND Conservative commentators AND the rest of the Righties who NOW know that they MUST CHANGE or become extinct, well, then you keep doing as you wish. The rest of us will evolve...

edit on 11-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
We need a budget. If we create a balanced budget through spending cuts AND revenue increases, we can stop contributing to the national debt and begin to make attempts to reduce it.

Make no mistake about it, if we continue to ignore it and the interest rates start to rise (which it will when the economy continues to improve)...big money is going to be lost on servicing the interest of the debt alone. Not a good thing.

We have to start with a plan...that plan is and has always been called a budget. Operating without one is insanity.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Makes perfect sense to those of us who are in the corn belt nothing but a bunch of RINOS pandering to try to "save face".

Same problem they had in 2008 same problem they had this year trying to be something they are not what Bill Crystal and all the other pundits should do is just go join the democratic party.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

The House win in 2010 and the Win is Wisconsiin and the continued control over the House says other wise.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

reply to post by sheepslayer247

Makes perfect sense to those of us who are in the corn belt nothing but a bunch of RINOS pandering to try to "save face".

Same problem they had in 2008 same problem they had this year trying to be something they are not what Bill Crystal and all the other pundits should do is just go join the democratic party.

I could tell from your tone you didn't mean "RINO" as a compliment, and had to google it. So, I learned a new term today. According to Wikipedia:

Republican In Name Only is a pejorative term that refers to a member of the Republican Party of the United States whose political views or actions are considered insufficiently conservative or otherwise conforming to liberal positions. The acronym RINO, emerging in the 1990s, is a charge used in campaigns by Republican conservatives against party moderates and liberals.

First time I've noticed it, but I guess we'll be hearing this one a lot, now...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join