Bill Kristol: 'It Won't Kill The Country If We Raise Taxes' On Millionaires

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Now this really is bizarre - when did Bill Kristol suddenly get a dose of "let's be reasonable"??!!

Conservative commentator and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol said Sunday the Republican Party should accept new ideas, including the much-criticized suggestion by Democrats that taxes be allowed to go up on the wealthy.

"It won't kill the country if we raise taxes a little bit on millionaires," he said on "Fox News Sunday." "It really won't, I don't think. I don't really understand why Republicans don't take Obama's offer."

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Why do they need more then they currently receive?

the more we give them the more they will squander.

Instead of demanding more taxes the government needs to spend what they get more responsibly and work at loosening the tax chains we are all slaves to.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Republicans don't want to take up the offer because they don't want to piss off the people they work for.

Remember Romney giving his 47% speech? A plate of food at that dinner cost $50,000

Republicans keep crying that raising taxes will lead to massive layoffs, but were massive layoffs happening during the Clinton administration?

More people are on welfare right now because lower taxes on the wealthy does not stimulate the economy.

Instead those tax cuts that the rich are getting are going straight to their overseas and cayman island bank accounts.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They don't want a tax hike because Obama won't tell them where it's going.

No budget for three years.

I wouldn't want a tax hike either.

How about we start at the beginning.
A budget.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Republicans don't want to take up the offer because they don't want to piss off the people they work for.

bill disagrees with you:

"Really? The Republican Party is going to fall on its sword to defend a bunch of millionaires, half of whom voted Democratic and half of whom live in Hollywood and are hostile?" he asked.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Raising taxes on the rich isn't going to put in dent into our trillion upon trillion dollar debt + interest. The USA will never ever pay off said debt. The economy will either collapse or somehow most if not all the debt will be forgiven, which may also lead into economic collapse

But seriously we're screwed. No one sees this?
edit on 11-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
When you take home $20 million a year, for example, perhaps a drop to a mere $15 million won't cause you to lose everything you have. Unless you live way beyond your means. Being rich means having extra. Buying luxury goods. multiple homes and cars and maybe yachts. And being a job creator of course! Though I never understood why they could be job creators and yet during a time when the rich got richer and the poor got poorer, there were far less jobs. Nice going Job Creators! You did a very bad job and creating jobs!!!!! And then you have a family of 4 living on $40 thousand a year. And you take 25% of what they make. And instead of not jetting to Europe every month, or not buying another Mercedes, or not visiting their home in Aspen for Christmas, they have to decide which car to sell. Which cheap and crappy food to buy. Which prescription medicine they can get by without. Not getting new clothes for their growing kids. But taking the money out of the Middle Class or the Poor isn't a big deal, is it? Yet taking extra money from those that can afford it is? Are we all in this together or not? All Americans? All suffering? Wait, we aren't alllll suffering..... We are in a bad place. Getting out isn't easy. Getting help from those who can help is what Americans have always done. Like going to war. Volunteering for the aid organizations. Peace Corp. Red Cross. Search and Rescue. Civil Air Patrol. Becoming a Soldier from the bottom and not going to an Academy. The stuff ordinary citizens do. Usually not the wealthy. They might be too busy at the country club or on vacation or in private schools. Do they donate? At times. As their accountants tell them will save them money, etc. Being American helped make the rich, rich. Give something extra back to help America STAY America!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It would be helpful to tax the wealthy but it is far from an end-all solution.

Thanks to Bush, Obama, and the big cats before them both, we have been plunged into a nation full of debt thanks to one man's goal of "ending terrorism". Look where that got us. America got kicked into the pit by the Spartans (bankers) a long time ago because we told them to 'get out' remember?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
they will publicly say it is a tax cut, but write in loop holes in the tax code

like thay always do

it won't kill the country, but it won't fix it either. in my mind it all starts with the trade deficit. we need more contries buying more of our stuff. I am against tarriffs, and I am pro-union, so I really can't figure out a way for that to happen, except maybe we ship norma rae to china and rive their costs up

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaxnmarko
When you take home $20 million a year, for example, perhaps a drop to a mere $15 million won't cause you to lose everything you have. Unless you live way beyond your means. Being rich means having extra. Buying luxury goods. multiple homes and cars and maybe yachts. And being a job creator of course! Though I never understood why they could be job creators and yet during a time when the rich got richer and the poor got poorer, there were far less jobs. Nice going Job Creators! You did a very bad job and creating jobs!!!!!

apparently low taxes don't actually create jobs at all - but some people don't want to know about it, or think that the non partisan Congressional Services report that says so isn't really true
edit on 11-11-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

So how many more conservatives have to say it before it becomes acceptable?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Bill Krystal is "Captain NeoCon." Bill Krystal has never cared about limiting the size of government. If any of you whom long for small government still identify with the Republican party, I suggest you pay close attention to their post-election rhetoric. Maybe you'll come to realize what they truly care about.
edit on 11-11-2012 by TopClass because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Raising taxes on the rich isn't going to put in dent into our trillion upon trillion dollar debt + interest. The USA will never ever pay off said debt. The economy will either collapse or somehow most if not all the debt will be forgiven, which may also lead into economic collapse

But seriously we're screwed. No one sees this?

You arn't screwed by any means.

there have already been proposals to cut debt by trillions of dollars by combining tax hikes AND spending cuts, and given, hopefully, increasing numbers of GOP-ers coming back to the real world I am hopeful a reasonable deal can be done.

The present stalemate seems pretty much totally down to the extremists in the GOP refusing point blank to accept any sort of deal that involves tax hikes at all. But now that they ahve failed to bring the public along with them on that plan (and even lost a little in the House & Senate) it seems the moderates are beginning to be heard again.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So does raising taxes on the rich pay down the debt?

Nope all it does it prop up already bad spending habits which is the first part of the BS second part of that BS is your cutting spending there is no need to raise taxes.

But hey why let common sense enter in to the coversation GO ON TAKE EVERY CENT OF THOSE EVIL RICH!!!

GO ON!

As if it is going to fix anything but keep an already bloated government more "fat" as in those DC fat cats. I an honestly sick to death the tax stupidity, and it is stupidity.

Abolish the freaking income tax and never let it be heard from agian that way it can not be used as a wedge issue to "win elections".

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Just a thought from a simple layman, since the FED has been printing money out of thin air for over a century, would the debt not equal.... thin air? These are basically promissory notes and hey, I, (your'e average Joe) did not print them therefore I owe nothing. I realize the FED did not do the actual printing but it was done at their behest. When Germany and the other nations start pressing harder for the return of their gold, are we individually responsible for it not being returned?

That responsibility was accepted by our "elected" officials and when these other nations come head to head with America, wouldn't it be funny when the people take one step back leaving the "officials" to answer?
THEY'RE ALL YOURS GENTLEMEN!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Cut the debt by how many trillion? I'd love to see the actual plan for that. But whether such a plan exists and is actually feasible doesn't matter because they clearly are not following that plan. DC is spending and printing while borrowing. What's the official debt up to at this point? The main stream numbers are somewhere around 16 trillion but that number is most likely much much higher, scary high. So with that, no matter what plan you've read that may work probably won't because 1) they won't implement it because 2) they constantly spend spend print borrow spend.

Washington DC is incapable of solving this debt problem. Washington DC is the reason we have this debt problem.

America is screwed.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

Yeah - so how many thousand $$'s do you want to pay for a gallon of gas, or a nice "cheap" imported TV?

It is true that fiat currency has no intrinsic value (but then neither does gold so whatever...
) - it's value is, like everything else, just what someone else is prepared to give for it.

If you (as in the USA) decides not to honour all those $$'s out there then yuo can expect people to stop accepting them for payment - so how are you going to pay for anything then?

these days a currency is backed by the taxation of the pupulation & anythign else the Govt can raise money from. If you stop honouring that then think about what is happenign in Greece right now....and multiply it by some unknown but not good amount to imagine the efects on hte USA, and mostof the rest of the world too.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

Just a thought from a simple layman, since the FED has been printing money out of thin air for over a century, would the debt not equal.... thin air?

In a nutshell yes;

Considering there are two kinds of debt intra, and extra government debt extra governmnet debt is what we borrow from other countries.

Intra government debt is socail programs and government subsidies which is nothing more that a promise to pay a certain amount of money to the people.

However that debt can never be paid for since the government itself created the Federal Reserve that creates the fiat money that supposedly pays for those promises.

Then considering the fact that money is backed by nothing it is essentially a promise of thin air.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well, it looks like EVERYONE is starting to go against the Conservatives... even... CONSERVATIVES!!!!

The Right is battling each other and will soon fall into pieces. With a foundation of LIES, FEAR and NONSENSE, was this REALLY ANY SURPRISE?? They had it coming!!

:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

Well, it looks like EVERYONE is starting to go against the Conservatives... even... CONSERVATIVES!!!

No as per the op Bill Crystal is agreeing with the left and the current potus which goes against everthing consersatives supposedly stands for.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join