It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant sonic boom felt and heard in Indianapolis Indiana(meteor? mass devastation Info blocade

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I felt this all the way here in Nashville, Tn. It was not a gas explosion, or a meteor. It was an Earthquake that hit southern Kentucky yesterday. I was sitting at my computer and it sounded like a huge explosion. First I heard it, then my house started shaking along with the windows and then you could feel it roll through the ground on past you, that rolling part lasts about 2 to 3 seconds maybe longer. This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this before in all my life. If this would've been any worse I don't think i'd know what to do even other than to grab what is most precious to me and protect it.

It scared me but, my natural instincts came about and I looked outside and noticed how there was nobody outside wondering, like me, wtf was that. [such well behaved sheeple].

I thought it was just an construction explosion gone bad but this morning the news said it was an earthquake so, there ya go, makes since to me but, what doesn't make since is what the hell are there all these explosions in such a close proximity or within a 100 mile perimeter?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

Are you sure about that? The KY earthquake was during the daytime, this explosion happened at night.

If you're sure of your times, it hasn't shown on any EQ sites yet.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustangill
I felt this all the way here in Nashville, Tn. It was not a gas explosion, or a meteor. It was an Earthquake that hit southern Kentucky yesterday. I was sitting at my computer and it sounded like a huge explosion. First I heard it, then my house started shaking along with the windows and then you could feel it roll through the ground on past you, that rolling part lasts about 2 to 3 seconds maybe longer. This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this before in all my life. If this would've been any worse I don't think i'd know what to do even other than to grab what is most precious to me and protect it.

It scared me but, my natural instincts came about and I looked outside and noticed how there was nobody outside wondering, like me, wtf was that. [such well behaved sheeple].

I thought it was just an construction explosion gone bad but this morning the news said it was an earthquake so, there ya go, makes since to me but, what doesn't make since is what the hell are there all these explosions in such a close proximity or within a 100 mile perimeter?

First what time was this earthquake you experienced? Now compare that to the time of the explosions and reports there. I think you will see the two events took place at different times.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I suddenly remembered something: Wasn't it also a gas explosion that levelled a serious part of Minneapolis some time ago?

Natural gas has quite the power. The first "boom" is álways followed by an expanding fireball. Making the devastation worse.

And for tne smell: pre-distribution, natural gas is odorless. Only in the distribution hubs in cities, is that typical "gas smell" added. So, in retrospect it could be possible that some main distribution-line under the affected houses was leaking. A starting car's exhaust sparks will be enough to set it off.

Just a thought.

Terrible for the people that lost their houses around the main explosion. Especially on these times, fixing a house can be just enough to having to default. Let's hope they were insured well.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I wonder if there is any possibility that the quake caused small fractures in gas pipes, which took different amounts of time to crack and the gas to explode.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maskander

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
700C - How about 1292F ? Temperature estimates?
is that really hot?

I double dog dare ya to touch it and find out.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Seem to be one heck of a gas explosion. Explosions seem to happen like this all across American every year. What I am wondering is that after all these years of using gas in homes, why is this still a common problem? The process of using distribution gas lines should be pretty advanced by now; right?

It must be a problem with maintenance. A lot of these gas companies are privately owned and 100 percent for profit. Cutting corners to increase profits could very easy lead to poor maintenance thus huge gas explosions leading to many people dead and injured.

I am sure there will be an investigation into this and I am also sure it will be concluded that it was just a fluke; just like all the other flukes when it comes to gas line explosions. Yet, what should be looked into is the quality level of maintenance of the gas lines. How well are those line actually being taken care of?

Events like this is always is good chance to look at what causes it happen in the first place and how to improve it.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Wow that is ALOT of destruction for a gas leak, I'm thinking this was a pretty big bomb...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I live in Indy & did not hear or feel this so if you live in TN & and think you heard this you might want to check for more local stories. Also, the earthquake yesterday was in Eastern Ky & quite a ways from Indy. It was not felt here.

Within the last few hours the gas company has said they "don't know if this was a gas leak." No one in the neighborhood, and they have interviewed everyone, smelled gas at all. For an explosion this large, someone would have smelled something.

My intuition tells me something more nefarious happened. If you see the pictures, the main house that blew had a sign out front that said "For sale by owner." The two people who died lived next door & the originating house was empty of people. I hate to think it but I just wonder if perhaps someone could not sell their house & decided to blow it up for insurance money. I sure hope not but desperate people do desperate things. Time will tell.

I have to say the emergency response was well done & highly organized. I was listening on my 5-0 radio app - which we (marion county fire & rescue) was trending at #1 over Chicago & LAPD. Wow!

One thing I found highly irritating was that people were complaining on our local tv station, WTHR, Facebook page that they were interrupting SNL to cover this story. C'mon people, it's not 1979 - you're not missing anything!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Also farther down the list on that site are Marion county hospital codes; 700 being the code for fire.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Yeah, I thought it was yesterday but, I remember telling my friend in Skype and so, looked at the time. It comes up as happening on 2:48pm this past Friday. So, maybe it was an explosion??? Either way, way the earthquake and explosions all a sudden?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here's a video of the destruction:

WTHR Ariel Coverage
edit on 11/11/2012 by Whisper67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

An explosion local to you, maybe. Also, at 2 in the afternoon on Friday, there are no logged earthquakes in the USGS lists for the US interior, so it probably wasn't that, either. I took the liberty of rolling the time back to the 7th, and all that's showing around the south from November 7th through today is the KY quakes & aftershocks, and the GoM weakling south of the AL coast. Keep in mind the KY earthquake was just after noon eastern time yesterday

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
I wonder if there is any possibility that the quake caused small fractures in gas pipes, which took different amounts of time to crack and the gas to explode.

In my opinion, TrueBrit has described the most plausible cause of the explosion. No planes, no meteorites, no crack coc aine, just a gas leak that caused it to ignite.
edit on 11/11/2012 by earthalien50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just so no one doubts the explosiveness of natural gas

On April 19, 1992, residents of the city noticed that their water smelled like gas. Local officials heard one complaint after another about smelly toilets and drains, and then someone noticed gas vapors coming out of the manholes. Within two days, those vapors morphed into full-on smoke columns. And since the Guadalajarans weren't living in the "Thriller" video, this was a pretty alarming development. What if Ninja Turtles were real and they were in danger underground? Or worse, what if Ninja Turtles weren't real, and something else was going on?

Well, that gassy smell in the water? Turns out that was gas. Highly combustible natural gas. The city's water was so explosive that something as small as a lit cigarette or a particularly hard finger snap could ignite it. And remember, these pipes were running under the town, so it's like everybody was suddenly living on top of a gigantic landmine. And before anyone could figure out how the gas got there or what to do about it, the first explosion hit.

We say "the first" because 10 more followed. Each blast erupted under the busy streets of the downtown district. And we're not talking about little pops, either. One actually sent a bus flying. In fact, some of the blasts registered as high as 7.1 on the Richter scale recorded in Mexico City, hundreds of miles away. When all was said and done, 6 miles of sewer lines were destroyed and the city looked like post-blitzkrieg London.

Eventually, investigators discovered that the whole shebang came back to that anonymous contractor who placed the city's water pipe over the state-owned gas company's pipe. It turns out that the water pipes were made of zinc-coated iron, and the gas pipes were made of steel. Put them together and you get a reaction that leads to corrosion. After a few years of water dripping down onto the gas pipe, holes formed, gas started to leak and somebody learned a horrific lesson in not cutting corners.

Read more: www.cracked.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej
That's what the one in Knoxville looked like and it was a gas explosion. Not a meteor, not terrorism. Sometimes, looking for unicorns when its a horse staring you in the face is not seeking the truth, but looking for something more exciting. www.knoxnews.com...
Um the damage from those picture look like nothing to the devastation down there. And people laughing and touting they are all knowing and it wasn't something more than a gas explosion, shame on you, they havn't even confirmed what it was,

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
i find it odd that sky news, who love this kind of ongoing story, haven't said A WORD about it. nor have bbc news 24.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
i find it odd that sky news, who love this kind of ongoing story, haven't said A WORD about it. nor have bbc news 24.

I don't know about BBC News 24 but the vanilla BBC US and Canada section has been carrying it for hours now.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 11/11/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
reply to post by Philippines

Yes, I would say it's safe to assume the fire fighters turned off the gas as a safety precaution. They turn it off when responding to house fires, and in this instance of an explosion I think they or the gas company would be contacted to have gas shut off immediately.

You're probably right that someone would have alerted the gas company to shut off a main valve to that general region, but if a gas leak caused the explosion I would expect to see a crater or some underground damage.

To followup on your theory of it being a fuel-air bomb, it is also possible, but the air mixture and explosion should be almost perfect as I understand what you were saying in a later post. Perhaps there is a device that creates the "spark" when the fuel/air mixture ratio is right?

Still at a loss for the shaking in the ground though, I have felt personally from dynamite blasting in a limestone rock quarry. I have also felt a "loud" earthquake that lasted 1-2 seconds and was more a loud snap/explosion noise and sudden shake, but caused no damage.

This seems like a plausible accident to happen to a vacant house (it was vacant correct?), and kill the 2 people in the neighboring house (correct?)?

Have the identities of the dead been released yet?
edit on 11-11-2012 by Philippines because: added the device theory and my experience of ground shaking because of an explosion/earthquake.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Does this sound familiar???

The loud roar and shaking led some residents of the area, first responders, and news media to initially believe that it was an earthquake or that a large jetliner had crashed.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

This is the gas line explosion where a whistle blower, Jacqueline Grieg and her daughter perished.

Since that explosion I've often wondered how safe the gas "infrastructure" is. A lot of it is very old & decaying. :0(

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join