It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US intelligence teams to track wildlife poachers in Africa and Asia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Are you trolling on purpose?

How selfish can one be?

National Security? Paranoid much.

Think it's awesome that they're allocating US intelligence to actual worthwhile causes instead of searching for oil and trying the blow everyone living in the middle east out of their flip flops.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DariusHames

Are you trolling on purpose?

How selfish can one be?

National Security? Paranoid much.

Think it's awesome that they're allocating US intelligence to actual worthwhile causes instead of searching for oil and trying the blow everyone living in the middle east out of their flip flops.
Who is paying for it? We cannot afford any more expenses. We already borrow too damned much. This needs to be cut along with all other unnecessary expenditures. What part of 16+ Trillion dollars in debt can you not understand?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

How is this unnecessary?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I can sort of see both sides of the argument here-it sounds good on the surface,but who knows how many layers there are to this...
Thank you for the input on both sides,I am learning more about the complexity of the situation.

However,I still support the idea of using US intel resourses to prevent what is essentially genocide of creatures who have roamed our earth from before we learned how to write,or even walk.

I don't see any other major countries doing the same,nor do I see the UN do anything of substance.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Seriously, dude? Your military actually strives for something good which will benefit someone(the world) else instead of greedy America and you call it a waste of the tax payers money? Real nice mentality you got there.
edit on 10-11-2012 by DariusHames because: (no reason given)

Seriously yes, with all of the people in this country calling for cutting the militery budgets in half you want to allocate militery resources to this, let the conservation groups and PETA fund it.

and I will reiterate that I think this is a cover for something else.

edit on 10-11-2012 by RedmoonMWC because: reiteration

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I reckon they should go one better than tracking them using the intelligence services. I think they should develop a very small RFID/GPS chip, that can be shot into and under the skin of a poacher with an air powered rifle. It would have to be very small, small enough that its impact could be mistaken for a mosquito bite or similar. The round would probably have to be a two part affair, so that the only thing that hits the target is the chip, or that the delivery system breaks off immediately and dissapears into the brush. There couldnt be any evidence on impact, to make the target suspicious.

This would mean that the same methods used to track elephants and rhinos, tigers and lions, and all manner of sizeable fauna under the protection of national parks, could be covertly used to track those alleged members of the human race that are trying, through ignorance or willful intent, to undo all the fine conservation work that has been done over the last few decades.

Fitting and poetic I think.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Smells like a bunch of rhino poop to me..... Tracking poachers, yeah right. Probably smuggling arms to some other terrorist group of their creation. Don't be surprised if civil wars break out in Africa and Asia in the next few months
edit on Sat, 10 Nov 2012 09:36:48 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

There have been civil wars going on in both Africa and Asia for the past few decades.

Where''ve you been?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A lot of poachers in those areas are tied to terrorist camps...I see no harm in saving the animals and killing the terrorists...
We are already In a War in parts of Africa and have been for a few years now..you just have not heard about our troops there, but they are. It will come out soon, ...So tracking the poachers is a road map to the terrorist camps.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

If it happens, you will see what I mean..... Think libya. "Rebels" popping up with brand new firepower and artillery, rebels somehow with superior firepower to the army in the area.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

How is this unnecessary?
Tell you what. You choose. I will support this in exchange for a dollar for dollar reduction in welfare. So feed the lazy or save some animals. What is your priority? Because we really cannot afford either one.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I am totally against poaching , and do believe something needs to be done. that being said, is it not those who control these intelligence agencies, [global elite], the same ones that are creating the demand for illegal ivory?. how many poor or blue collar types do you see flaunting something rare and very hard to get to each other? once again they are putting the foxes in charge of the hen house.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I see saving endangered animals, I just don't see what our intelligence is doing there. In the long run, we do not have the money to fund this and many other "projects" the government is doing. There are too many Americans that go without. Especially with the economy the way it is now. I'm with several others on here, I think there is a motive behind this. Other than just saving endangered animals.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Screw the lazy they're more than capable of looking after themselves and these animals can't.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Okay, let say it isn't. I'd fully support this effort, no doubt.

Think of it this way. America has more experience with dealing with underground groups and are more competent than any other force, military or conservation.

What could they possibly gain from saving rhinos in Africa or in stopping the shipments to Asia? Sure there are a lot of resources in Africa but they wouldn't need an intelligence agency in order to dip their hands in it. Just pay one of the gazillions of militia roaming around Africa to mine these resources.

In fact there is no military that'll oppose them in Africa so why go through all the effort?

Think you give your government too much credit. Not everything is a conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If I may add one other consideration?

Yes, we've discussed the new costs, including what I would expect to be a million dollars plus just in bribes.

And we've discussed the idea that we're taking intelligence assets away from their work, which means either their work doesn't get done or we hire more people to do it.

But I'm curious. This is being staunchly defended as using force for a good cause. Yes, there will be deaths, poachers are armed and unwilling to just surrender. So, killing people for a good cause is Ok and should be applauded.

How about sending force to stop one Muslim sect from tearing down ancient buildings which the UN has placed on a protected list? How about saving people who are being killed, sometimes burned alive within their churches? How about Syria? ... and the list goes on forever.

Since we are apparently eager to send force to another country for a "good" cause, does one also applaud Libya? Drone strikes? Now you know why we need a military. In addition to those reasons we also defend our own interests. Some people still see that as a "good" cause.

Oh, but your good cause is "gooder" than their good cause?

I am not criticizing or scolding. I'm just pointing out another side to the question.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm.... So we have a good coalition of the worlds military patrolling the African coast for Somali pirates, now we are going to have the USA patrolling it's airspace with drones looking for poachers? Something smells fishy.....

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
How Jeezly obvious can they get?
With drones already overflying most of Africa,....they now claim theres a reason for it beyond their lust for more power and resources.......
Rhis will cost the US people more than they bargained for in the blowback....ten yrs hence....

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TTAA2012

I'm ALL for protecting endangered species, but America's intelligence agencies aren't the right people to do it.

Maybe that's what they want us to think. Maybe they're going there for other reasons.
That would be the conspiracy side of the coin.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ParaSpy2012

Maybe they're going there for other reasons.

That could very well (and likely) be, but as long as they save some Elephants and Rhinos, I don't care WHAT else they're doing. Rid the world of cruelty and slaughter, please, (including human on human).

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
heh, doubt they are tracking anything but animals, probably just a cover story to get a group into country. either that to catch poachers , steal the goods and sell for black project money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join