It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US intelligence teams to track wildlife poachers in Africa and Asia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

US intelligence teams to track wildlife poachers in Africa and Asia

www.guardian.co.uk

America's intelligence community was ordered to track poachers in Africa and Asia on Thursday as part of a new global drive against the illegal trade in elephant tusks and rhino horn.

Conservationists said it was the first time trafficking in wildlife, an underground trade in animal parts thought to generate $15bn a year for sophisticated smuggling networks, was elevated to the status of a security threat, rather than sidelined as primarily an environmental concern.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I applaud this move by the US-If someone didn't take a stand against the sick fiends who trade in endangered animals,then we would soon live in a world without such awesome creatures as elephants and rhinos(and mant more besides).

I would actually support poachers being fired on by drones if that would mean we could protect our biodiversity for the future.
That may sound very harsh to some-but our animals need protecting IMO-we know now that there are no such creatures for at least many lightyears in all directions,and we should do all we can to protect those most at risk of extinction on our amazing planet.

I am glad the US is taking a stand on this-after all,no other major country seems to be acting in such a way to keep our endangerd animals safe.

What do you think of my views on this?
Is this a good way to save animals,or is it the start of some kind of "agenda 21" slippery slope?

Thank you for your input.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Great Idea! It's not like they have anything important to do, like protecting our embassies and citizens around the world from terrorism.

I'm ALL for protecting endangered species, but America's intelligence agencies aren't the right people to do it. Seriously, this is something best left up the UN. Now THEY need something to productive to do.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Poor animals.
Too bad they can't get better help.
Hopefully they can locate poachers more quickly than they did bin Laden.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

I would actually support poachers being fired on by drones if that would mean we could protect our biodiversity for the future.

I'm guessing you welcome them flying over your house too...

NWO here we come!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Wow, this is great news.

I saw poster this morning estimating the amount of rhinos killed the last year at 530(South Africa). Since 2008 over 1500 rhinos killed.

Made me think just how sick and greedy the human race is. You'd honestly push an animal to the point of extinction for a couple of dollars/rands.

Ridiculous.

Though, this certainly cheers me up.

You can find more info here

STOP RHINO POACHING NOW!
edit on 10-11-2012 by DariusHames because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Africa and Asia... hmmm... sure their tracking poachers. Nice cover though.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

I'm guessing you welcome them flying over your house too...

NWO here we come!

No I wouldn't welcome that,but then again I don't poach endangered animals.
Although we have had satellites an/or drones watching over us for years already..

I do see your point though(its why I mentioned agenda21 at the end of my OP)-it just seems to me that at this stage of the game,radical new techniques DO need to be employed to protect some of our most endangered species.

I would hate to wake up in a world where there are no more elephants,knowing that we could have saved them if we had tried.

Of course,the drone strikes idea was purley my own,and not what the US are proposing.
I guess proper prosecutions(maybe with evidence gained from drone recon)would be a more humane way to go-although the rhinos and elephants are not treated humanly by those who rip out their tusks/horns while they are still alive.
Its a tough one-and one that has brought out some of my more extreme views I admit that.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If that's true it's prob the most noble and just cause that U.S. Intelligence has been involved in, in recent years. Must be difficult to do, I mean, torturing "terrorists" and killing brown people is one thing

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Smells like a bunch of rhino poop to me..... Tracking poachers, yeah right. Probably smuggling arms to some other terrorist group of their creation. Don't be surprised if civil wars break out in Africa and Asia in the next few months
edit on Sat, 10 Nov 2012 09:36:48 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yay!!!

America is also assembling a global anti-trafficking alliance with Interpol and customs agencies.

The security steps were part of a broader State Department initiative aimed at assembling a global alliance to end wildlife trafficking.

Clinton, in remarks delivered before a crowd of about 200 including members of Congress, ambassadors, and State Department officials, said the effort could not be one-sided.

America is the second largest market for trafficked goods. Unless you cut off demand, poaching in Asia and Africa won't stop.

"We want to make buying goods, products from trafficked wildlife, endangered species unacceptable, socially unacceptable. We want friends to tell friends they don't want friends who ingest, display, or otherwise use products that come from endangered species anywhere in the world," Clinton said.

In my opinion, this is a very important, and absolutely fabulous initiative. Too bad some here think it's frivolous. I'll make note of where not to expect support for the environment and everyone (human or animal) who lives on it.

Over the last few years, heavily armed trafficking gangs were overwhelming local authorities, terrorising village communities and increasingly posed a security threat, Clinton said.

"It is one thing to be worried about the traditional poachers who come in and kill and take a few animals, a few tusks, a few horns, or other animal parts," Clinton told conservationists. "It's something else when you've got helicopters, night vision goggles, automatic weapons, which pose a threat to human life as well as wildlife."

Poachers were crossing national borders at will, stoking concerns among US security officials that the conduits used by the traffickers in Asia and Africa to get their goods to market could also be used to smuggle drugs or arms for terrorist organisations. There is already some evidence to support that connection, conservationists said.

It's part of a larger effort to stop the OTHER nefarious smuggling going on. (The war on drugs should die, but, terrorism on humans is no worse than rampant slaughter of innocent animals.)

I know, I know, here I go again, with my bleeding heart on my sleeve for the haters to eat while it's still beating...

go ahead, call me Pollyanna. Yes, I care about this A LOT. Elephants are noble, gracious, and should have the unwavering care, respect, and support of humans.

Yay for global efforts to protect them and undo the global savagery. Wake up world, we don't "OWN" this planet. We are stewards of it.

Thanks, OP S/F

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by moderateAmerican

This is the main thing that worries me about it as well-are they being genuine when they say they wish to protect these animals,or is it a clever way they can get a "foot in the door"in Africa and Asia-two spheres of influence which we know they would like more clout in.

Helping endangered species may just be way for them to gain public support for more shady operations.
Who knows at this point?
I hope they are being genuine..But past actions make this a difficult hope.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Nice to see intelligence being use for something good for a change......

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Originally posted by wildtimes
In my opinion, this is a very important, and absolutely fabulous initiative. Too bad some here think it's frivolous. I'll make note of where not to expect support for the environment and everyone (human or animal) who lives on it....Yay for global efforts to protect them and undo the global savagery. Wake up world, we don't "OWN" this planet. We are stewards of it.

Good post wildtimes,I totally agree with your sentiments.
I understand its likley the US could develop this initiative into other areas,but I do hope the are serious about protecting the endangered animals-I wish they could add whales to the list as well,but thats too much to ask at the moment I suppose.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Wow,technology being used to try to protect something?.

Tech is usually only used to kill and destroy .

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by moderateAmerican

My thought also.
Ofcourse I also thought what a waste of taxpayer dollars, I was under the impression that people wanted to reduce the militery budget.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Seriously, dude? Your military actually strives for something good which will benefit someone(the world) else instead of greedy America and you call it a waste of the tax payers money? Real nice mentality you got there.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DariusHames

We need to waste a lot more of that imaginary "taxpayer money",on protecting the planet we have here.

Our resources are not infinite,and we only harm ourselves by exploiting it beyond it's capacity to absorb the repeated insults we place upon it.

Money is useless without anything to buy with it.

I fear it's too lte anyway though....

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I would love to be involved in this. That would be an amazing combo of military/wildlife preservation, something we actually should be enforcing.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is a stupid idea and a waste of taxpayer money that we cannot afford. Our military and intelligence assets should only be used to further our national security interests. Then there is the fact that we have to borrow even more money to do this. All of the idiots in Washington need to be fired.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join