It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans suffer from tunnel-vision (Specifically ATS'ers)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisb9

I wish I could give you a thousand stars for that.

You just made my day. Thanks

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisb9

That is funny, because I listen to NPR every morning so I can hear what is going on in the rest of the world.

I am sure the 27 million listeners across the 900 stations nationally would have something to say as well.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DariusHames
Anyway, like most new members I use to lurk around here, but I've always felt, even before joining, that ats can be one-sided when it comes to the rest of the world.

I do hope you're not lumping us all together and stereotyping.

This (ATS) is NOT america.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DariusHames

American here, but I'm right there with ya, DH. And this political hoopla occurs EVERY FOUR FREAKIN' YEARS! And the worst part is I think that if every losing presidential candidate had won throughout U.S. history, nothing would be any different today. The only exception might be Lincoln.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Actually he has a point, i tend to read the articles on the main page first and if i have time i go through the forums, but because of this political mumbo jumbo many good discussions are lost because the majority here is american and they discuss in threads that are related to the political stuff in america.

There were like two days in which you could see only US election threads and rants on the first page.... need ... more ... diversity...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Oh so you just want attention then. Well you'll get it then.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Darius Hames, how ironic your posts are. Pot calling the kettle black. How rude and condescending! Take your toys and go home. Pathetic.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I agree with the OP to a certain extent, a lot of Americans a very patriotic and would seem to not be to interested in events that aren't some how directly linked to America, I don't blame 'em, when I notice the rare post that is related to Oz, no matter how boring it may seem, I will definitely click and comment but I will rarely see any input from members of other nations, I don't mind to much as it seems America is the testing ground for new laws/policies and what happens over there determines a lot of what happens in the U.K. or Oz, gives us the opportunity to ready complaints about events that are yet to take place

But yeah anything to do with whom or why someone should vote, well I'm sure there are plenty of other sites that are specifically there for campaigning, go and kill some brain cells there.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DariusHames
You know what I think . . . just an observation I made now. . . not only are Americans narrow-minder, but they live in denial of their narrow-mindedness.

Being productive here. . .

Discovering no amount of anything will change that fact and I'm fighting a losing battle here.

And, honestly, seems to gathering a lot of attention. Guess my job is done here.

Wanna garner Americas attention. Insult them, that's the only way!

Hey, I don't fully agree with you but I gave you a flag and a star "just because". Yes, ATS is QUITE American-centric, but I think a preponderance of its members are Yanks, so what do you expect? And YES, Amurrikens get very defensive when told that they are narrow-minded -- and they are in denial of this as well. But not much to be done about that and you certainly aren't going to win any converts with that rhetoric, friend.

That said, even within US political discussion there seems to be one overbearing idealogical group -- I'm not going to mention any names -- that posts the most threads on this topic and garners the most flags, so more important/serious/honest threads get lost in the noise. The same can be said of threads on other topics as well, e.g. the recent one on supposed DNA tests of Yeti/Bigfoot hair, and their like.

But as others have said, post threads on topics of interest to yourself and flag and star those of others that float your boat. Or start your own website "ATS: Unaligned Nations Edition" -- that'll show us durn Amurrikens.

My main problem with ATS is the number of pointless threads on goofy topics and the even more pointless and goofy comments in interesting threads. Way too low of a signal-to-noise ratio. Makes it hard to find the interesting threads or to read the interesting/enlightening comments when one does come upon one.

One thing ATS could do, if it hasn't already, is make a "world news" forum, so it would be easier to find stuff of the ilk you're asking for, and to put the top topic in this forum onto the home page, in order to give it some P.R. This seems a modest proposal, if it hasn't already been done.

Live long and prosper now, ya hear?
edit on 5-11-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ah yes, yet another brilliant observation generalizing about the US citizenry! Because it is absolutely certain that a) a hasidic Jew in Manhattan would certainly have the same outlook and worldview of b) a rapper from South Central and both would have identical outlooks with c) a drilling engineer from Austin, TX and there would also be no distinction between these 3 and a d) a farmer from western Iowa.and of course e) the retired Chicago dentist who retired down to Tampa would be sociologically indistinguishable from the aformentioned Americans, all of whom could be lumped in with f) the unemployed steelworker in Pittsburgh without anyone noticing a difference.

Sorry OP, your observation is neither unique, valid, nor particularly intelligent. Although it has been pseudo-intellectual chic to bash the U.S. for several decades now, it doesn't mean it's anymore valid than bashing Belgium for instance.. In all fairness, stereotyping is something all of us do, it's a neural shortcut that does have value IRL. But using an internet forum board, ATS or otherwise, as your sample base, well you do the math 8>D

The real reason I am posting is I'd like to hear from the many on ATS who share OP's opinion of U.S. citizens ona few topics. The first being, if Americans are so horribly non-Cosmopolitan, what specifily SHOULD they be talking about that would make you happier? The local politics of Vienna's 23 districts perhaps? The finer points of terracing moutainsides for rice farming in Japan? And why do so many obsess on the worldview of US citizens anyway? Is it a feeling of cultural inferiority? It's a real fact that the cultural impact of the US has been pretty massive over the last 10-15 decades, I suppose some resentment is bound to come back whether the farmer in Iowa had anything at all to do with it or not. Perhaps it's the 'Superpower' effect? The US is widely to considered to be the world's top dog militarily, whether it be Rome back in the day, Great Britain 1815 up til WWI, France just previous to that, etc, whoever is #1 is going to be resented by someone somewhere, even if the retired dentist didn't really want his tax dollars going to foreign soil military bases.

In short, even if Americans are a bit more culturally self-absorbed than the worldwide average... are say the Russians, Chinese, Italian or French any less so? And even if one feels the US populace are worse than any culture, anywhere in this respect, why should it matter? Are we that important to YOUR life? And if we are so important or interesting to non-US citizens, shouldn't that be considered a factor as well?

As a well-travelled person (even by Cosmoplitan Euro standards-*gasp* the horror!) I've heard the same tired whinging about me as an American citizen in at least 10 languages and what I never get to hear is: why are you complaining to us, about us, anyway? Please enlighten me 8>D
edit on 5-11-2012 by HabiruThorstein because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2012 by HabiruThorstein because: typo/grammar

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The funny thing about all this is that you read so many posts on internet sites generalizing American citizens, but in the 9 countries other than the U.S. that I've been too, I've met nothing but friendly non-judgemental people. Most of us are probably tired of all of the political posts, but it's election season, what can you do? It will die down and ATS will be business as usual. Instead of complaining, why not try posting your own topic? It's true that on the main page the majority of topics are election centered. But, it isn't all of them.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by littled16

Why don't you start a thread that isn't related to any of those American things that bother you then? Instead you have started a thread bringing attention to the very issues you are riled up about. Isn't that counter productive?

If you would like to begin a discussion about something ELSE I'm sure someone like yourself might enjoy it. Consider it anyway. If you don't appreciate the current user created content please try creating something interesting to contribute instead of just grumping about it.

Just sayin'...

^.^.^.^ ^

Yeah...what she so eloquently said......the elections are almost over...you'll be safe soon...

Des

HUGS*!!!!

I love you Des ! LOL

thx for my smile for the day

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Like it or not what happens to America effects the rest of the world in many ways,especially economically. We buy all the useless crap. If America fails it will not look good for the rest of the world. Watching CNN does not come close to seeing what is truly going on in America. This election will make or break the world as we know it.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

Really it's pointless. They're both corrupt, period. Both liars. The system is a rigged duopoly that won't change for the better unless people see what the root of the problem is.

You could have included your view of what 'the root of the problem' is.

My view: human self-determination (promoted by Satan)

In other words, humans thinking they can fix this themselves without submitting to God and a theocratic government run by Jesus as King. All the while ignorant of the fact that Armageddon is on our doorstep and all their revolution, occupy and reformation plans will be for naught. Also a general conditioned rebellious behaviour against any form of authority.

And in response to those who felt offended for the OP complaining about too many election threads and comments, there are others who are tired of it as well:

edit on 5-11-2012 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This explains my view of 'the root of the problem' in an entertaining fashion (I hope it's more interesting to you than another thread about the elections) by someone who was murdered by the Illuminati for this exact message, I have never tried to link a youtube playlist before so I guess I'll just leave the link instead of trying to make the 1st video appear in this comment:

Michael Jackson, the message they feared

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

My in laws, who live in russia, didn't know much of the USA till i married my wife. My family in spain know nothing of the USA and my family in mexico does not know much of the usa either. BUT they do know plenty about their own nation.

Kinda how I know all the stuff wrong in my house that needs to be done but i do not know jack about your house or if you even have a house... maybe a flat?? a shack???

this "tunnel" vision you speak of is not exclusive to americans

so GTFO
edit on 5-11-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

That's really nice

I'm glad they know nothing of the U.S. cause I'm sick and tired of hearing about it.

Look man if you're offended by what I've said than that's your problem, I couldn't care less.

This was only an observation which is true when you consider most members are American. So naturally they'll discuss American stuff.

What I'm saying is broaden your horizons.

Maybe the title is all wrong

Should have been Some, majority of Americans suffer from . . .

Know what you'd have a problem with that too anyway

So whatever.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You obviously have insecurity issues that need resolving. I really hope you don't have children, would hate to see you take out your discontent towards Americans on them. I’m sure you could find one of those “I hate narrow minded Americans for dummies” books sitting on a shelf somewhere. Give me a break

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join