It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trick or Treating has sure changed since I was a kid in the 70's/early 80's

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
When I was a kid, kids would take one or two pieces of candy, say thank you and move on.

All night tonight, kids of all ages come by and take handfuls upon handfuls of candy each. O_O And their parents just laugh and say, "Let's go to the next house!"

If I EVER did that as a kid, my parents would have made me put it all back but one piece and trick or treating would have ended right there for being greedy.

Anyone else see this happening?
edit on 31-10-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I never get trick or treaters anymore.

Maybe it was because I was handing out bullion cubes... "Mommy, my carmel tastes like chicken!"

Tonight I may get one, who knows. If I do, Im putting on my shemagh my friend brought back from Afghanistan:

It's about time I get some use out that thing!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Kids are going to be kids.. You could always turn off the lights and not accept trick-or-treaters if you hate it that bad.

When I was a kid I took everything I could get, even the bowl. =]

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
My neighbours kids,three boys were just about beating down another neighbours door.I actually thought it was a drug bust.
Little ***** the woman is in her late eighties & can hardly walk.Being nosey I stuck my head out to look,couldn't help myself told them to sod off.
Their mother who walks about with her nose in the air(presumably to balance her big fat ass out) was with them and let them do it.She knows the old woman but didn't seem to care.
Saying that what did i expect from her,she has four kids,never worked and debatable that she knows any of the fathers.
Give them their due they went away without so much as a whimper(mother included).
My division,my rules!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well I for one wish Halloween was still.. Halloween. When I was a kid the streets were swarming with ghouls, ghosts, cowboys, pirates..

Nowadays there aren't many kids out - maybe because people like the ones in this thread have scared them all off.

What's the Halloween equivalent of "bah humbug?"

If you don't want trick or treaters put a note on your door, in big, clearly written letters advising them that they would be wasting their time knocking.. Don't yell at kids on one of the most fun nights of the year. =P

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have heard of this but not seen it. I was gonna start a thread but I'll just add it to yours. I took my 1 1/2 year old daughter out (as a pirate of course) and EVERYONE, kids included were so polite and and nice. She said trick or treat at every hose if she didn't ......no candy. The other T.O.T.er's would let her go first cause she was little and the hosts were so welcoming......it has restored my faith in humanity even if just for one night.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Haha, I was laughing right before I saw your thread because all night the kids have only been taking a minimal amount, then I just got a few older ones and I swear they took as much as their hands could hold! Half my candy bowl is gone now! I spoke too soon, saying, how polite only taking a piece, then BAM, here comes the big kids taking it all. Lol

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I never get trick or treaters anymore.
Maybe it was because I was handing out bullion cubes... "Mommy, my carmel tastes like chicken!"

LOL I once wrapped up some dog biscuits because I realised the same group of kids had returned three times, each taking a turn to knock on the door. They didnt come back

link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Thats why I like my small Maine town, we still do the dood to door, and they even close a few streets and some of the houses do big haunted houses. One house even had coffee, popcorn and hotdogs for the parents.

link   

I don't care what night of the year it is,if your little ass wipes of kids are torturing my 80 odd year old neighbour,I will yell at them.As I said,the mother and brats know this old woman and know she is disabled.
Their impatience mucked them up as they got nothing from me or the other half a dozen neighbours.
Control your damn kids!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

I don't care what night of the year it is,if your little ass wipes of kids are torturing my 80 odd year old neighbour,I will yell at them.As I said,the mother and brats know this old woman and know she is disabled.
Their impatience mucked them up as they got nothing from me or the other half a dozen neighbours.
Control your damn kids!

It's Halloween.. Who's at fault here?

The kids, who are excited for costumes and candy, or the wise old woman who's had 80 Halloweens and should be expecting visitors?

As I said, rather than complain about them and whine about it, put a sign out and save both parties the hassle.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I had a rather nice night taking my kids,and other kids,out.
My kids always said thank you.
Probably because if they didn't they get stuff taken away.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

No,we haven't had this treat or treat crap for long,ten years maximum.It an American import.
When I was a kid it was guising,you made an effergy of guy falwkes and went door to door.Not on Halloween either but the 5th of November.
If my mother had caught me doing it she would have went mad.Begging pure and simple.
If they had no respect for this old woman and about broke her door down,do you really think they would respect a sign?
They seem thick anyway and probably can't read.
edit on 31/10/2012 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Halloween just isn't the way it used to be, period. I'm glad I managed to hand out all the good chocolate candy before it was over, because I was afraid I would have to eat all the rest myself. We only got 20 doorbell rings if that, and by 8:30 it was over.
When I was a kid in the 90s, the streets were filled with us, and almost every house was participating, with decorations and even a mini haunted house on the driveway. We didn't start until after dark, either.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
We wish we had that problem. We've been posted in the front yard for 2 hours and have only had 6 kids come by. And yes they are brats. I have only received 1 good "trick or treat" the rest just open their bag and ask for candy. It looks like I am going to have plenty of left over Rice Crispy Treats for a few days...Yay Me!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

People do realize I was joking about the bullion cubes, right?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
halloween here seems to be who can light off the biggest explosion without killing anyone

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
When I was a kid, we took one piece of candy unless the host said to take more. Kids should be taught respect period.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I still make the Kid say thank you for the candy, and only one unless more is given or offered. But I also live in an area where my son is told to open doors for ladies, say mam and sir , and always speak nicely in front of the girls. Smalls towns are nice. Also ALOT of neighborhoods go all out with fun things and decorations for the kids. My boy better stand up and offer a chair to a lady or older person when there's no where else to sit!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Why don't you put one piece of candy in their bag?

Do you just let them reach in you bowl?

Every house we went to the person was either at the door waiting or was sitting on their porch. They put the candy in themselves.

Maybe you need to change with the times. Or turn your light off, like the one posters 80 year old neighbor should do.

I cannot wait until my kids are old enough so I can hand out candy.

Remember it is not about you, it is about the kids. I believe it is time to evolve with the times. Or is that a sign of old age( just kidding about the old age thing..)..lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join