It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS flags system could very well be a conspiracy.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Really Above Top Secret. Or RATS for short. Back when I first joined, I had to spend ATS points to be able to access this folder.
And there was really nothing to special about it. Other than it really did keep trolls at bay, and if you spent the points to be in there, you would be better off.
As I posted in RATS, things I would never post on the regular ATS forums. It really keeps "core" members who have better critical thinking skills and would be a better chance at intelligent conversations.

Its changed so much now, I am not even sure how RATS works anymore.. And that scares me, as I only post things in RATS that I did not want the whole ATS community to be able to have access too.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

I agree...I haven't been able to start a thread yet....can only add puerile answers to others....

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vespa51

Originally posted by Vespa51

I agree...I haven't been able to start a thread yet....can only add puerile answers to others....
Have you tried lately?

You should be able to create a new thread after 20 posts.
(and as of now, you have 35)

reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

i know people will probably think i made this up (why would i?) so here is the PM/U2U interaction i had with skepticoverlord asking him about this
lol. I didn't say I didn't believe you. I was just asking if you were sure.

Looks like you're offline right now, but if you come back soon, you may wanna edit/remove the quoted U2U's. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with posting those particular messages, but that is one of the rules defined in the T&C's. I can't remember the exact wording, but basically: Do not post a U2U from someone else, into a thread.

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
reply to post by BrokenCircles

.....a bug that occurred to my account back in February of this year, for a short time my account was made super moderator, while my account was this i had looked in one thread and noticed that the flagging button had a slightly different look to it, curious i flagged the thread and noticed i could unflag OR flag it AGAIN to be certain it wasnt only aesthetic bug i did flag it and watched the flag count on the thread climb as i flagged it 5 times,

This couldn't explain being able to flag it again, but...... you do know that you(anybody) can Un-Flag a thread, don't you?

I can't remember exactly when they changed it, but it is possible that at that time, they were still in the process of writing the codes(or whatever) that enable us to 'Un-Flag'. Maybe they were running a 'Beta' version, testing it out, before making the option available, to all members..... or maybe not... i don't know. lol. Just a thought...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Explanation: Uhmmm?

Really Above Top Secret: A protected forum for ATS members with more than 200 posts. Conversations contained in this forum are not visible to guests, members with less than 200 posts, and search engine spiders.
PLEASE DO NOT POST CONTENT FROM POSTS IN THIS FORUM TO ANY OTHER THREAD OR FORUM ON ATS.

Access has absolutely nothing to do with flags.

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Skeptic Overlord's taxi thread is in RATS.

I still go back and read it every once in awhile, and still gives me chills.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

of course im aware i can unflag a thread, the point was i could reflag it multiple times and did so 5 times. thats the point as i said

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

You cannot flag a thread mroe than once.

If you flag, then unflag, that flag is removed.

If you then reflag the thread, the count only increases by one.

As for RATS.

RATS exists for sensitive topics that members would like to keep out of Google Search Engines and out of the purview of the general membership. It was created by request.

There's no conspiracy and it's impossible for us to use it as a means to drive content, since hardly ANYBODY ever intereacts in RATS.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Dont worry about RATs. Just enjoy posting and debating on ATS. It will happen at the right time.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

i really have no idea how you get in. i just clicked on it one time about a year or two ago and i got in. didnt stay very long though as there was nothing really, really above top secret. its like you said, just a place to hide threads from search engines.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Well, the first rule of RATS is we don't talk about RATS, of course.
It says so, as the first thing I ever read when that special time came and the sun beamed through the clouds to let me see in there.

I really do wish I could share more, but as others have said..when the time is right it'll happen and a special new place will appear where there hadn't been one before.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

What is this RATS you speak of?

Not long ago I was informed of a Chat Room and now you speak of a RATS room. WTH is going on? Why am I being left in the dark?

How many flags do I need to enter RATS? Can I buy my way in? Can I lie my way in? Can I cheat my way in? I am willing to do whatever it takes to be a RATS person. I'm not sure what it is but I want in!

I don't think you can donate flags and I know they won't let you sell your ATS Points because I tried.

I have a new goal and that goal shall be accomplished.

EDIT - Hmmm....I saw it and I am mildly disappointed. Now I need a new goal.

edit on 31-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I did not even know about the RATS until I one day saw that Rat-logo in the forums section.
So personally I do not see any problems with the system being used.
Does it really matter that much that one has to wait until being able to use the RATS forum?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

you can if you are a super moderator that was what i have said twice now, please pay attention to the details

ill repeat it for clarity, as a super moderator you are able to flag any thread as many times as you wish so the admins of this site are able to sway the popularity of a thread in this way
edit on 10/31/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

What do think of this article?

COINTELPRO Techniques for Dilution, Misdirection and Control of an Internet Forum

There are several techniques for the control and manipulation of a internet forum no matter what, or who is on it. We will go over each technique and demonstrate that only a minimal number of operatives can be used to eventually and effectively gain a control of a ‘uncontrolled forum.’

www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If anyone wants to know what is in RATS, its where Phage lives.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Winter13

Ahaaa...interesting read, cheers for that.

I'm bummed about this thread now for two reasons - one, I'm actually able to get into rats, I don't know why I wasn't before or why I am now, so this thread is kinda pointless, although I've enjoyed the responses and it's been kinda interesting.

The second reason I'm bummed is...it's getting flagged! Why? Lol, this s**t don't deserve no flags, it was a petty whine at best...at worst an uninformed rant. I wanna give 'em away, I don't want more.

To add...how does one become a mod? I don't want to be a mod, lack the necessary commitment to be honest, just curious. Can a user become a mod? If so, how?
edit on 31-10-2012 by samerulesapply because: Additional

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The way I see it was the flags and stars were for members benefits, flags on threads would mean just that. You would stick a flag onit for it to stand out for other members to see. Makes sense.

The stars however, well I guess it's just ATSs version of facebooks "like"

I'm sure these stars and likes are being collected as data to find out what the general consensus is In the public arena.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

All mods were members first.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
There's nothing in RATS.

I think flags are to encourage more discussions and increase popularity of the site.
It also helps to deter lurking, if members are rewarded.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

RATS is Really Above Top Secret, where topics posted don't show up in googles cache. So it's more private.
There's nothing good in it, unless you wanted to spend hours looking for a gem.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join