It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Would Reduce Welfare Benefits For Women Who Cannot Prove They Were Raped

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Condoms are one of the most unreliable methods of birth control out there.

Gee, I thought pulling out was? Go figure.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

some folks should really get out of the house once in a while and see things for yourself instead of preaching from your big white house on the hill. Its not really noble to preach from your pedestal.

Thanks for that post. I'm convinced most people on ATS live on farms or are just completely sheltered from anything but their middle class suburban life.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

What is your point?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

What is your point?

My point was condoms are a helluva lot better contraceptive method than none at all.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

Come one man really. I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but thats what make the threads enjoyable. Posts like that (where YOU stereotype) don't really add to anything.

As far as middle class? LOL I am a full time student, My nephew used my truck and blew the engine. Now I walk to school. 4.5 miles each way. Three times a week. After I pay rent, utilities, and child support I end up with about $60 a month for food and hygeine requirements. A lot of noodles are consumed in my big white mansion on the hill.

It's not about race, tax bracket, or political affiliation. It's the ethics we are endowed with and the decisions each of us make.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

So since there are common misconceptions about welfare I guess I'll get them out the way.

You CANNOT stay on welfare for as long as you want, there is a 5 year federal lifetime limit. Most states have an even short time limit than that.. In PA there is a 2 year limit and then you have to prove employment or risk being kicked off.

That is just not true.

My ex-mother-in-law has been on welfare "proudly" for over 40 years. She started out in Michigan and lived on it there for more than 20 years.....then moved to Indiana and lived on it there for about the next 10 years....then moved to Arizona and has been on it for over 10 years here (and is still currently on it)

Food stamps, free medical, cash money, utilities paid fully, rent paid & free cell phone.

Watched it go on personally for 30+ years.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Ever since 1996 there is a 5 year federal life time federal limit on welfare. Most states have an even shorter time amount.

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act imposed a five-year lifetime limit on assistance to welfare recipients..

www.npr.org...

Time limits: Congress set a 60-month (5-year) time limit on TANF benefits, although some states have taken advantage of the flexibility to shorten or extend this period.

results.techriver.net...

So either she's committing fraud, or you're talking about years ago....
edit on 30-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

What is your point?

My point was condoms are a helluva lot better contraceptive method than none at all.

And people still get pregnant due to condom failure, so you have no real point.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Ok I am from PA, and I know what this all stems from. We had woman here that would have many babies to get additional benefits. And each pregnancy through some rule kept them on welfare longer. A never ending cycle. Many of these woman were drug addicts and wanted the extra benefits to buy more drugs. So the children suffered.

This business about not covering new babies to welfare moms, was actually a good rule since we were ending up with crack addicts with 8 babies. Or just downright lazy welfare moms. The reason the rape clause is being changed is that it is obviously being used as a loophole. Kudos to PA for keeping welfare benefits in check and for the truly needy.

Why should welfare moms have 8 babies on our dime, when the working can only afford 1 or 2?

In PA, welfare makes certain you don't stay on. They will go out and get you a well paying job. And pay for daycare for a while also. They will even push to send you to college for free. And may I add that PA does all of this and then some, without going into debt like the fed gov. PA is out to improve lives and end dependancy.

I know a woman who was a housewife, that got divorced, and they got her an overpaid clerical job that she wasn't even qualified for. The state subsidized her pay for a while. She had it pretty darn good. BUT, being lazy, she immediately found herself a daddy warbucks and quit.

edit on 30-10-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I'm from PA as well and I second everything you posted. In my area a lot more women than people think have more children not only for the welfare but for that tax credit every year. It's despicable.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

Good topic OP! This is something that we all should be aware of. I myself concieved not one but TWO children via rape. I didn't abort them, feeling myself (MY OPINION) that this child didn't do anything wrong to come in to the world.
My problem with this whole issue? When I reported the rapes, the cops literally asked me what I did to encourage such behavior!!!! What was I wearing, yada yada yada, insinuating that it was my fault and not the guy who raped me. And just so you understand I wasn't "crying wolf", the first rape happened while walking home from a girlfriend's house at age 16. The second, a guy busted into my home through my bedroom window while I was sleeping. In both instances, it was insinuated that I did something or dressed in some inappropriate way to encourage such behavior from these so called "gentlemen". One of the police flatly called me a liar and told me if I tried to press charges, they would arrest me for false reporting.
Would this encourage a woman to report her incident? I have this tendency now to stay as far from law enforcement as possible, having no faith or credit in the so called jobs they do. I've instead learned to protect myself by whatever means necessary. No man will ever take his anger out on me sexually again.

Just my 2 cents and opinion. Thanks for listening.
SK

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by elouina

I'm from PA as well and I second everything you posted. In my area a lot more women than people think have more children not only for the welfare but for that tax credit every year. It's despicable.

Do you know what I am waiting for? And I know it will happen. This will be the next step for welfare addicts you know... Reporting fake rapes to the police. And most of the crack addicts will be too stupid from intoxication to realize that it is illegal to report a fake rape. The lowest of life is always looking for a loophole so they can keep sucking off the public.

It is also the lowest of life forms that makes life difficult for the real victums of rape. These are the ones that we should be angry with.

Not only this, but it will also make the jobs of the police more difficult. And take time away from investigations of real rapes. So what am I saying? When dealing with low life scum, the tax paying public never wins.

edit on 30-10-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I'm from Pa. and agree with your entire post, and it is accurate. It's time for people to take responsibility for their actions. I have seen it many times. Have heard women say time to have another baby to either stay on welfare or collect more.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They shouldn't necessarily stay with her but they have to face up to the responsibility of being there for the child...working and paying to raise that child regardless of the woman's past...not any otehr kids she has but the one they fathered, they need to take some responsibility as well...they took part in the fun they should take part in the woman's misery too, you think it's all rainbows and unicorns raising a child even if you don't work? No it's not it can be a sheer daily hell...half the time the most isn't even dealing with the kid it's dealing with the A$$hat teachers, the doctors, the cretons who think they know everything about raising children who love to call DCF and do what they can to make you want to climb a clock tower and picking off people with a shot gun...it's dealing with other rude kids that aren't even yours and their idiot not parentals, it's dealing with everybody knows better than you, except they were poor very poor examples of parenting in every respect, it's dealing with bullys and nasty kids, and their parents, etc etc etc.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Waiting for? I know of countless numbers that cry wolf because they were embarrassed for what they did after a night out partying or because a man was cheating on her or didn't want to stay with her and also for that welfare extension or extra benefits. It's more frequent than people like to admit because it's such a sensitive topic to discuss.

It's all a slap in the face to the real victims and even lessens the real victims credibility when they are subjected to such malicious things. SMH.

I'm all for the Bill. It believe it would get more victims out there to press charges and at the same time hinder some would be rapists, especially the ones that know the woman is afraid to press charges. Even if the Bill itself prevents an extra 2 cases a year that is still better than not working at all or making it worse.
edit on 30-10-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

]If I were raped by man or woman I would report it in a heart beat.

Easy to say if you have not walked a mile in a rape victims shoes. It isn't just a matter of reporting it. What you endure after reporting a rape is like being raped all over again. Just ask anyone who's been through it.

No way I'd hide an assault and hold onto it to eat away at me and destroy my life year after year.

Guess what? Even after reporting it, it still destroys your life year after year.

Honest to God, I often wonder if people think before they put their fingers to a keyboard on this site!
edit on 30-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

I'll ask my ex gf .. oh hey she said she is actually VERY glad I helped her through the ordeal and convinced her to report it because now she doesn't walk around with the shame of that secret. There are no guarantees in life, but for the most part it is those who DONT report it that are destroyed year after year.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

So since there are common misconceptions about welfare I guess I'll get them out the way.

You CANNOT stay on welfare for as long as you want, there is a 5 year federal lifetime limit. Most states have an even short time limit than that.. In PA there is a 2 year limit and then you have to prove employment or risk being kicked off.

That is just not true.

My ex-mother-in-law has been on welfare "proudly" for over 40 years. She started out in Michigan and lived on it there for more than 20 years.....then moved to Indiana and lived on it there for about the next 10 years....then moved to Arizona and has been on it for over 10 years here (and is still currently on it)

Food stamps, free medical, cash money, utilities paid fully, rent paid & free cell phone.

Watched it go on personally for 30+ years.

The law does not apply to anyone who was on assistance before 1997. If she has been on it for 40 years than then clearly she applied before 1997 therefore the law doesn't apply to her.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

I see a lot of welfare abuse in my home state of Michigan. Detroit is full of welfare abuse. What is sad is those that abuse the system make it harder for those that truly need the help.

Maybe a new career field of welfare abuse investigators should be created.
Hmm, second thought, that would only cause those abusing the system to whine that their freedoms are being encroached upon.

There is no balance to our society

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

Why do republican representatives keep harping on the rape topic, do they not realize it causes a public relations crisis?

Tom Caltagirone (D)

He lives about 4 miles from me, I should give him a call and let him know that he is a Republican now. Maybe I should give the Reading Eagle newspaper a call too, let them know that he switched parties.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

reply to post by FreshAirGirl

Then theirs the ones whom make a bussiness out of having babies and more babies to keep getting those welfare checks. I see it all the time around where I live. There are some girls that as soon as it gets close and the kids can enter school and they are expected to go get a life and a job get pregnant again.

If you read the OP you would see that this is a myth.

Actually, it is not a myth as you might have heard....granted, it might be an exaggeration but I personally know women that have done this. Some women become so accustomed and dependent on the assistance that they fear going out into the workforce once their child comes close to school age. The women I know have openly admitted that they don't want to work and got pregnant on purpose.

I really wish they would enforce drug testing for assistance eligibility in every state. I've heard some ignorant people say that drug testing wouldn't be fair to the children but is it fair to the children to pay their mom cash so she can get a crack rock and be high around them? And they would still go hungry if she was able to find someone to trade cash for the bridge card. But that's another thread lol.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join