It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those of you calling Sandy not a big deal...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The reason it's such a big deal is because New York is a major economic area, and also as far as I know New Jersey is a major manufacturing area. I have customers on the West Coast that need parts that only suppliers in the NJ and NY area make and I can't get them, NY + NJ are filled with subway systems which are now flooded, they are below sea level so there will be no receding water, they will have to pump it all out. That is the main mode of transportation in NY, besides cabs which as far as I know don't have "hover craft" mode.

As for relation to Katrina, New Orleans has a population of about 360k people...New York City 8-9 million, New Jersey 8 million, as far as I'm concerned, the U.S. needs these two areas to be operational 365 days a year, I do not fear monger but I'm tired of hearing that this storm is no big deal.

I live near Cleveland, they are not hyping about 20' waves near the lake shore, a major artery into Cleveland is shut down because the waves are blowing clear across the highway and moving 500 lb. rocks from the breakwall. My Aunt lives up near Ashtabula (on the lake) and she told me her siding is blowing off and rain is blowing in around her patio door and windows...but no big deal, we're just hyping this, Oh yeah don't forget, up here it's not a 75-80 degree wind blowing, it's 35-45 degrees. It's snowing in the western half of Ohio and it's been raining in the Eastern half since Saturday when the cold front started pushing through.
This storm has come inland over Pennsylvania, and unlike hurricanes down south which blow through over night or 2 days max, and make their way north, this storm has stalled over PA and is now going to slowly start moving north east. WV is getting hammered with snow and they have issued a blizzard warning, 40-50 mile an hour winds with 1 foot (bottom of the mountains) to 3 feet (top of the mountains) of wet snow and whiteout conditions. Do any of you southerners know what 2-3 feet of wet snow does to a roof?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
NO this was not over hyped its a very very big storm and is doing billions in damage its a serious storm on the same lvl as Katrina imo just less localized more spread out. its very sad and the suffering and damage will continue for days to come and clean up and rebuilding will take months if not years.

link   
Is that interstate 90 youre saying is closed? im in mo at the moment, trying to get back to the joe....where theyre calling for 20 foot waves. Cook nuclear plant is designed for 20 footers...nothing more.........

It cant flood where i live though, about 100 feet above the lake on the edge of a bluff/cliff

link   
well if you lived near toronto ontario (as i do),then i will say sandy was not a big deal!
(sorry for all the who suffered the brunt of the storm[s]).
all the news agencies promised Armageddon like conditions in toronto,with massive amounts of rain/snow,and wind speeds up to 110 km./hour! even our red cross was urging us to prepare for 'the end!'
well the reality is that yes,it got pretty windy at times,but no more so than any summer t-storm we usually have,and i have seen much worse! i have an old tree in my back yard that if you sneeze at it,it would lose a branch!
last nites wind only brought down a small,5 foot branch,and that was it!
as for the driving rain that was promised,well we only got about 10 cm.(less than an inch)!
this morning the 'rain' has stopped,and there is only a light breeze outside,and its quite mild out.
we had no snow at all! so for me,personally,no sandy wasn't a big deal!
for all those who were affected bt sandy,i wish you well.
i think the media really went overboard with this story,for what reason,i don't know!

i guess we'll see!
and by the way,i do know what 1-3 feet of wet snow does to a roof!!!
try shoveling out yor 40 foot driveway from a 9 foot snow drift!!!
ha ha ha!
peace

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I completely agree with you about this storm.

I have been through many hurricanes and I never downplay their effects. Only stupid people do that!

Smart people prepare.

Unfortunately even smart people got hurt from this storm because they were unable to leave for whatever reason. I have been listening to EMS all night and it has been a nightmare for emergency services. All of the lower Manhattan avenues are flooded so they can't get to callers.

There were hundreds of people in the water due to their building being on fire. They had no cold weather water gear to protect them from hypothermia. The fire trucks could not reach them because all of the boats were busy down by the waterfront.

Just make a note of all the people downplaying this storm for future reference. They are all idiots!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

I was reading the same crap that this storm was hype. I look at the news coverage of NY and NJ and the damage is just devastating. NYC will be shut down today and possibly for the next 2 day s. That is a big deal. Parts of NJ maybe even longer. Early yesterday evening I was talking to people in Maine and trees were already coming down. Surfers were surfing in Lake Michigan!
I know it's easy to suspect hype and fear mongering, but like you OP I see this as a legitimate storm with no foul play by any one other than Mother Nature herself. Believe me when I say I am always the first one to suspect tptb of creating mayhem but this time I think they are off the hook.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It was totally over-hyped, embarrassingly so. Big. Bag. Of Nothing, comparatively.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Yes, I-90 indeed, and no, this is not NJ or NY it's Cleveland, Ohio...this was last night, this morning was worse, the waves were monstrous...

fox8.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Compared to what may I ask?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
It was totally over-hyped, embarrassingly so. Big. Bag. Of Nothing, comparatively.

Tell that to my basement and top floor. They missed that memo.. -_-

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think the storm was a little bit hyped by media because they really didn't know what was going to truly happen when these systems converged and they WERE WORRIED!!...............as was I...

The storm was really BAD with so much damage! There are no words for the destruction this storm has caused in the North East USA!!! What I have not seen is all the damage in DC....Media blackout on that!!

Lets also think about the economic factors here! Horrific! Its all so sad

edit on 30-10-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It is a 1'000 mile wide storm. That is a big deal in anyone's book, purely in energy terms alone.

2nd.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I cant believe theres a my storms bigger than your storm debate going on
while lives are being lost peoples homes lost .

any tragic event is a big deal .

im sorry but some people need to take a step back and look around you

Its times like this we need to join together.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Don't know if it is related but NASA's SOHO Satellite website is down.

Are they hiding something like the sun just threw a solar flare at us.....or did this little storm take out the SOHO website??

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl

and she told me her siding is blowing off and rain is blowing in around her patio door and windows...

The horror! The horror!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I am not paying any attention to American Media in relation to natural events from this point on. I think the media have been hysterical about this.

And the politicians just love this stuff dont they? Makes it seem like they are actually doing something. You get off the damn beach Chris Christie!

And what about the hype over he so called tsunami that was headed for Hawai the other day? What a joke.I couldnt get any news from the news channels for ages because they all went live to Hawai. They say that the tsunami will arrive in 3 minutes...... yeah right. Put the real fake news back on god damn it!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

I will concede that although I did play this down a little and suggest a lot of people were overreacting (there were a lot of wild and crazy assumptions and even expectations of skyscrapers collapsing) this did turn out to be far worse than I expected it to be.

I spent all night watching what was happening over in the US, and I didn't go to bed here until about 5 am. It's some truly remarkable footage.

Obviously, there are a lot of people suffering through this, and millions around the world are watching and hoping for the best. I just hope that we don't see scenes reminiscent of Katrina in the aftermath of this in NY.
edit on 30-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
LIVE REPORT ON SKY NEWS (uk)

They`re using "FEMA FOOD" , i dont like where this is going ..... why mention FEMA so soon ?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
ALL I know...my power is back on within 18 hours....hurricane irene i was out 2 days

dam right its been overhyped / this was supposed to wipe ius into the stone age

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

I didn't want to start a debate about this, I am just tired of hearing people (not in this area) saying "it's a whimpy storm compared to what we've seen", us northerners weren't saying that about Katrina, or any other hurricane down there. We were sympathetic, caring and as respectful and understanding as we could be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join