It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F2 fighter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Ah yes.. my bad.. Thought I saw korean markings on that one..Anyone got a larger pic of the one I confused for the T-50?

Mod Edit to remove big-quote violation

[edit on 10-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

if they wanted long-range strikes go build some more F-15Js which cost around the same price

But I'm pretty sure the F-15J is an air-superiority version only, with no provision for attack missions at all.

Except, of course, when attacking Godzilla.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

But I'm pretty sure the F-15J is an air-superiority version only, with no provision for attack missions at all.

Except, of course, when attacking Godzilla.

the F-15J is a F-15E strike eagle

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

the F-15J is a F-15E strike eagle

No, it's not.
It's based on the F-15A but closer to an F-15C - the license was granted before the F-15E ever existed.

F-15J

So far, the only nation to build the F-15 Eagle under license is Japan. In June-July of 1975, Japanese officers carried out two flight evaluations of the F-15A/B Eagle at Edwards AFB. In December of 1977, the Japanese National Defense Council announced that the Eagle had been selected to supplement and eventually replace the Lockheed F-104J Starfighters serving with the Nihon Koku Jietai (Japanese Air Self Defense Force, or JASDF). The Japanese Eagle was to be designated F-15J, with the two-seat version being F-15DJ. They were to be the Japanese counterparts of the F-15A and B respectively.

A license was acquired for manufacture of the F-15 in Japan, with Mitsubishi being selected as the prime contractor. Initial plans were for the first two single seaters and 12 two-seaters to be built in St Louis by McDonnell under Project Peace Eagle. The remainder would be manufactured in Japan by Mitsubishi at its plant in Komaki. A similar sort of arrangement had been worked out for license manufacture in Japan of the Eagle's predecessor, the F-4 Phantom.

As it turned out, the Japanese F-15s were quite similar to the early production blocks of the USAF F-15C and D.However, Japanese Eagles were to differ from the Air Force Eagles primarily in omitting certain sensitive items of electronic countermeasures equipment, such as the ICS and EWWS sets. In their place, provisions were made for the installation of a Japanese-built radar warning system.

It does have bomb racks though, so it it appparently does have some strike capability, probably only used, as I said, when Godzilla tries to stomp Tokyo

[edit on 7/11/05 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The F-15C did have limited bombing capabilities. The J just means that it was licensed for production in Japan, just as the F-15K was licensed for building in Korea. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The F-15C did have limited bombing capabilities. The J just means that it was licensed for production in Japan, just as the F-15K was licensed for building in Korea. Simple as that.

In April 2002, the Republic of Korea chose the F-15K as its next-generation fighter. 40 aircraft have been ordered. First flight of the F-15K took place in March 2005 and first deliveries are due in October 2005. All 40 aircraft are expected to be in service by 2008. The F-15K will be powered by General Electric engines and features a new electronic warfare suite including BAE Systems IEWS ALR-56C(V)1 radar warner, BAE Systems IDS ALE-47 countermeasures dispenser system and Northrop Grumman ALQ-135M radar jammer. Lockheed Martin will provide the Tiger Eyes sensor suite with targeting pod (mid-wave staring array FLIR, laser and CCD TV), navigation pod (terrain following radar and mid-wave staring array FLIR) and long-range IRST (Infrared Search and Track). Raytheon will supply the AN/APG-63(V)1 multi-mode radar. BAE Systems will provide the AN/APX-113 IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) system. Data Link Solutions will supply the MIDS fighter datalink.

Kaiser Electronics will provide the cockpit display suite including: five flat panel colour displays (FPCD), four 6in multipurpose displays (MPD) and wide field of view head-up display (HUD). The FCPD and MFD feature active matrix liquid crystal display (AMLCD) technology.

The Republic of Korea has ordered Raytheon AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-9X Sidewinder air-to-air missiles and Boeing SLAM-ER stand-off land attack missiles for the new aircraft. First flight of a SLAM-ER, which has a range of 278km (150nm), onboard an F-15E took place in February 2004.

F-15K is based on the F-15E but tailored to suit The Republic of Korea.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Yeah, it's the F-15E licensed for building in Korea, which is why it has the K designation. If it was built in the US it would be still be the E. I believe it was Saudi Arabia, and Israel both bought E models, that were built in the US, and they were shipped over as F-15Es. License built aircraft generally have different designations as the US versions, usually something to do with being built in whatever country.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Boo, Korea stole our letter

After the F-4K, C-130K and F-111K, when I was a kid I always used to think that if an F-15K ever appeared it would be for the UK

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
You guys just have to get a little faster.
If you had bought them first, you could have had the K letter.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
True enough, though we would have insisted on fitting it with unsuitable engines that made it slower than every other version, just like the Phantom

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Hey, it's not a British mod if it's not slower than every over version in the skies.
Think of it as adding style to the design.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join