It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane #Sandy - Live coverage by ATS members

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Are you out of harms way and have not been effected by this storm?

PHONE YOUR LOCAL SALVATION ARMY, FEMA or GOODWILL.

Find out where they are collecting clothing donations.

Anyone flooded, will likeley loose most of their clothes.

Things will get frowsy, mungy and sour very fast. Even clothing that has not been submersed, will get sour from humidity and air transfer.

Collect your clothing, please get it to distro centers for the people that will need it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHECK ON THE ELDERLY IF SAFE TO DO SO.

Surely the god you know someone who is elderly. Go help them. Go see how they are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOSPITALS IN THE NYC AREA ARE EVACUATING.

So keep your cars OFF the roads. Its hard enough navigating an ambulance without you in the way.

Many MANY are on life support, ICU, NATAL,serious condition, they will need to be moved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JUST LIKE AFTER 911, people will need your help.

edit on 29-10-2012 by morethanyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Yes, it's definitely heartbreaking thinking about all those critical patients who are being carried down staircases as we speak... Imagine the families who are wondering if their loved ones (in the hospital) are okay or not? Just feels like a solid punch to my stomach every time I begin thinking about it..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by Night Star

Yes, it's definitely heartbreaking thinking about all those critical patients who are being carried down staircases as we speak... Imagine the families who are wondering if their loved ones (in the hospital) are okay or not? Just feels like a solid punch to my stomach every time I begin thinking about it..

You should be reassured that each patient is in the hands of good people, risking their own lives - real bravery.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSorcerer
Don't know if is just an update, but this story just popped up on CBS

NJ Nuclear Plant On Alert

Heres why nuke plants are carefully monitored. From your link:

Although nuclear plants are built for resilience, their operations get more complicated when only emergency personnel are on duty or if external electricity gets knocked out, as often happens during hurricanes.

"When external power is not available, you have to use standby generators," said Sudarshan Loyalka, who teaches nuclear engineering at University of Missouri. "You just don't want to rely on backup power."

Because storm surge or heavy rains can flood the backup generators if the water levels get high enough and that could halt the coolant flow to any reactor cores that are still in operation. This one plant is shut down, but others in the area are still operating at reduced capacity.

Not likely considering the "tropical" status of Sandy. Still funny they would mention it at all. Loss of external power and backup systems is what caused the disaster in Japan. A hurricane is the only other force of nature that could deliver a one two punch of power loss and flooding that might produce the same result.

If wind speeds increase during the night other plants may be taken off line as a precautionary measure.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone is listening to live feeds from FEMA scanner broadcasts. Lots of information not on the news reports yet.

Here is the list of all New York scanners.

www.radioreference.com...

Manhattan Police Department carrying out multiple rescues.

edit on 29-10-2012 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm in south-western Ontario and its getting pretty windy here. I work at a hardware store, which was pretty quiet tonight, but the people who did come were mostly in to get extra supplies just in case.

Sending out some extra positive energy to all in Sandy's path. Keep safe, friends.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Having done facility maintenance and disaster preparedness I'm finding the hospital generator failures and fuel situation egregiously incompetent bordering on criminal by un-necessary endangerment of life and tying up resources that could be used elsewhere.

There are very srtingent national testing requirements with NYC being even stricter for critical facility emergency generator power systems due to the fire and life safety systems depending on power to operate - not to mention patient needs.

These requirements demand frequent testing of the generator as well as the associated switching that takes facility from grid power to self generated power to ensure that no failures occur, if fail occurs most govenrmental authorities will write a citation with a stated time limit to correct problem and may even require rental equipment be placed temporarily. As a facility engineer I had to immediately notify local fire officials of any problem with generator/transfer switching that compromised operation.

Somebody messed up very badly or was pencil whipping the tests required and endangered everybody.

Same situation for fuel on hand, 4 hours is a minimum for an office building not a hospital, most I have knowledge of have at least 24 hours of fuel and a plan to get more during that period if needed.

It angers me to hear people cannot do their jobs and put others in danger because they are 1. Lazy or 2. told to save money by management. In either case fire officials in charge of code inspections should have intervened.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Two fires have started in Queens, and are spreading, water is high so they cant put them out. They have been rescuing people out of these buildings on boats.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Does anyone have any news about that dangling crane? That is a potentially devastating situation.

I also worry for people's safety in the coming days if power is out. I hope we don't see looting or violence.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Having done facility maintenance and disaster preparedness I'm finding the hospital generator failures and fuel situation egregiously incompetent bordering on criminal by un-necessary endangerment of life and tying up resources that could be used elsewhere.

There are very srtingent national testing requirements with NYC being even stricter for critical facility emergency generator power systems due to the fire and life safety systems depending on power to operate - not to mention patient needs.

These requirements demand frequent testing of the generator as well as the associated switching that takes facility from grid power to self generated power to ensure that no failures occur, if fail occurs most govenrmental authorities will write a citation with a stated time limit to correct problem and may even require rental equipment be placed temporarily. As a facility engineer I had to immediately notify local fire officials of any problem with generator/transfer switching that compromised operation.

Somebody messed up very badly or was pencil whipping the tests required and endangered everybody.

Same situation for fuel on hand, 4 hours is a minimum for an office building not a hospital, most I have knowledge of have at least 24 hours of fuel and a plan to get more during that period if needed.

It angers me to hear people cannot do their jobs and put others in danger because they are 1. Lazy or 2. told to save money by management. In either case fire officials in charge of code inspections should have intervened.

I would suspect that water has breached the roof. Or the fuel has been contaminated.

It takes very little water to mess up diesel fuel, and plug filters.

I suspect that's what happened in a lot of cases.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wheels

You can be sure that the government response will be the best we have ever seen. It is election year after all. I wouldn't doubt military is mobilized as part of the rescue effort.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by wheels

You can be sure that the government response will be the best we have ever seen. It is election year after all. I wouldn't doubt military is mobilized as part of the rescue effort.

I would suspect military involvement in this one is a shoe in certainly.

NO fuel or food in the shops or cool fridges will create a very bad problem without the military keeping it all from unraveling.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a quick question how will any nuclear plants stand with hurricane sandy the storm flooding could there be a problem like that im in ontario will get hit by it eventually jus wondering..if anything like what happened in japan could happen in the usa or canada?.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by morethanyou

I would suspect that water has breached the roof. Or the fuel has been contaminated.

Nope! its pure dee incompetence, the engines and gear will actually run in streaming water - I know by personal experience as I've had that situation before.

I commend the line firefighters and everyone doing their best to help but by incompentence they have been put in this situation. Its either bean counters, crap maintenance procedures or paid off code officials or maybe all three.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Little bit windy here in Western New York, not to bad yet at my elevation. I am kinda on the side of a big hill so most the wind gets blocked in 2 directions. My folks up further north along Lake Ontario on the other hand might be in a tough situation over night. They are calling for 20 foot waves on shore which is unheard of in these parts, never in my or my parents lifetime has that happened. Might have to take a drive up there to check in on them as I type this the lights flickerd and the wind is now picking up pretty good here. What a change a few minutes can make. I hope all the people near the coast make out safe and get out of harms way. Take care everyone.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Not sure if anyone is listening to live feeds from FEMA scanner broadcasts. Lots of information not on the news reports yet.

Here is the list of all New York scanners.

Manhattan Police Department carrying out multiple rescues.

Scrolling down in your second link there are "red letter" emergency alerts breaking out. Gas leaks, multiple fires, ETC.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by morethanyou

Nope! its pure dee incompetence, the engines and gear will actually run in streaming water - I know by personal experience as I've had that situation before.

I commend the line firefighters and everyone doing their best to help but by incompentence they have been put in this situation. Its either bean counters, crap maintenance procedures or paid off code officials or maybe all three.

Well being a diesel head myself, there are a few things to contemplate.

Diesel generators need the following:

Clean unmolested fuel.
Free flowing fuel filters with water separation capabilities.
Clean filtered air.
Unobstructed exhaust

So in this situation, I can see them failing.

and if they continue to run

what about fresh water supplies in the ERs?
edit on 29-10-2012 by morethanyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by freelancer99

It sure can! Some of those plants are pretty much the same design as Fukushima.

I'm deeply troubled by that possibility. It's crazy that none of the mainstream news outlets have mentioned the nuke plants.

link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Two fires have started in Queens, and are spreading, water is high so they cant put them out. They have been rescuing people out of these buildings on boats.

Listening to Queens FD channel now...sounds like a mess.

A dozen homes on fire. No water pressure to put out fire.

link   
reply to post by morethanyou

It was reported earlier today that stores were bare shelved, give it three days and military will be needed is my guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join