It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Superstorm Threat Launches Mass Evacuations (Thread Will Include Updates)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by headorheart

Originally posted by Tykonos
It looks nasty.

Stay safe.

Could this cause problems for your up-coming elections?

It absolutely could. I have actually done a lot of research on what could happen. I wanted to start a thread but since it would be pointless since until Sandy actually hits, we will not know the damage it will cause.

Yeah, I was thinking about the implications earlier, I wasn't sure how the black outs will affect electronic registering.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The surge in NY/NJ is already breaking records and the storm isn't even all the way drilling us yet! We still have to get through highest tide tonight @ 8PM and it's going to be a deluge.

Tropical Storms can and DO kick the crap out of coastal areas.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The surge in NY/NJ is already breaking records and the storm isn't even all the way drilling us yet! We still have to get through highest tide tonight @ 8PM and it's going to be a deluge.

Tropical Storms can and DO kick the crap out of coastal areas.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I want to say that I am very impressed with the accuracy of the computer models on this ultra-complex weather potpourri. So far they have been nearly dead-on, and to think there really is no historical data involving all the factors that play into this one, really shows the power of technology.

Go ahead conspiracy folks, and say it was all planned.

Sandy will probably taking me off the grid within a few hours, so goodbye, and see you on the other side.

edit on 29-10-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Human lives lost too is not rocket science.

Agreed. It is not and it can be prevented.

I understand what you are doing here, and should be applauded, for you are only attempting to prevent others from panicking.

Thank you. People should not panic at all. We have all seen this before and we should all know what to expect.

However, your accounts of being 100% right everytime smacks of arrogance, if not sheer complacency.

I am not arrogant at all and I am far from complacent. I stress being prepared and using common sense. But let us be frank, the time to prepare is now passed. Now is the time for common sense and staying calm and using your head. Storms are scary as they happen. A calm person can quickly panic when they see a tree pulled from it's roots and fall. A prepared person knows that this is a possibility and should be ready to account for it.

In both cases you qouted, human lives had been lost and property damage no matter how much you take pride in your own lucky survival through recklessness and the cheek to claim you were right when officials and media had predicted lost to lives and damage, and they have probably saved many more by advicing them to evacuate to safety.

I am far from reckless and I do not consider myself to be lucky at all. If anything I consider it unlucky that I always seem to live in areas that are effected drastically by the weather. I have no doubt the media has saved lives, but saving lives by scaring the crap out of people is nothing to take pride in.

Not all will be as lucky as you.

Again- I dont consider myself to be lucky, simply experienced.

And not all storms are the same.

Agreed, not all storms are the same, but the data is one thing that we all can rely on to paint a picture of what to expect.

Best not be complacent. We do not have to subscribe to fear mongering, but neither do we have to throw all precautions to the wind, more so in this strange and massive storm.

Again, I do not consider myself to be complacent by any stretch of the imagination and I do not suggest throwing caution to the wind. I stress being prepared. Using common sense. Being able to provide and take care of yourself and loved ones when you can not rely on others to do it for you. Checking the data and seeing how it relates to you in your location. It is a hard lesson to learn. Go ask those people now on the coast who did not evacuate and it is too late to send people to save them if they have learned their lesson. What they did was sheer stupidity and they put their own lives in danger when they did not have to. Just like those inland who are panicking are putting their own loves in danger by doing so. These are the people we see about on the news who are hiding on the top floor of their homes that have big trees falling on the roof. These are the people who sit by the windows and they suddenly shatter under the pressure of 80 mph winds. They are far too busy stressing out and panicking to use a little common sense that they endanger themselves when they don't have to and the reality is, they should simply stay indoors and be aware of the potential of rising water, falling trees, breaking windows. Very simple things that can easily be foreseen by using your head.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Remember it will last for at least 5 hours. Are you safe? whats your story?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

This is off topic, but I applaud the calm and sophisticated way you responded to that other reply. There are many on this site that would have become defensive and abrasive; but you did not. Thank you for keeping ATS civil.

Please note, this is not to say the person who sent that reply was attempting to be argumentative. I (and many others) appreciate your civility.

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

No, people here went up towards WEEKS without power......Yes Katrina was Devastating I agree, we all do here on ATS.....What I mean by devastating to my town was the struggle and aftermath. Lots of homes destroyed by these 100 year old oak trees. Lots of injuries trying to clean up too. I live in an area with a lot of ummmm how shall I say, people who live on welfare. Lots of elderly compared to the young ratio....People died because they did not have the money for a generator who survived on wearing oxygen or needing refrigerated medications. I'm sorry but that is devastating.....

We also suffered from Hurricane Floyd back in 99. THAT WAS ALSO DEVASTATING!! Most of the city under many feet of water, some places over roof tops of the local Lowes store!!! Many here suffer from PTSD from that storm. I do understand what you are saying as do ALL who are posting....Your posts just seem to come across and being a Mr. Know it all who has so much experience with this.....Not trying to offend at all. We get it, you do not need to keep repeating yourself. Try if you can to see it from a human emotional perspective, not the flooding and wind damage perspective....that's all I have to say.

Peace
edit on 29-10-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yes Katrina was Devastating I agree, we all do here on ATS.....What I mean by devastating to my town was the struggle and aftermath. Lots of homes destroyed by these 100 year old oak trees. Lots of injuries trying to clean up too. I live in an area with a lot of ummmm how shall I say, people who live on welfare. Lots of elderly compared to the young ratio.
reply to post by Starwise

In Katrina, they didn't have to contend with the cold, which with that cold front, who knows how long that will hang over the affected areas.

It's all bad.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent

Sounds like you're disappointed that Sandy will not be as "devastating" as the authorities say. If it isn't then we should all count our blessings and move on.

I do not think the authorities are causing panic and hyping things up they are trying to get the people that are in dangerous areas to evacuate; now the media on the other hand...

Please show me where I said the authorities are hyping things? I didn't. I was specific in saying the media is.

Also please show me where I sound like I am disappointed? I am happy it will not be a catastrophe like Andrew or Katrina- which is the point I have been making over and over and over again.

Frankly, it is very frustrating for me to combat all the fear mongering in these threads. Just like it was frustrating for me during Ike, Gustav, Irene, etc etc etc. I am sick of posting the data, telling people what to expect, just for some foolish poster to come along with their fear mongering and acting like the sky is falling and it is the end of the world as we know it... when the truth is, it's not the end of the world. It's just another storm. You can prepare for it. You can get through it safely. You can see the data and decide for yourself weather it is safer to stay or go. You can read the data and know what it means for YOU and know what YOU have to do to stay safe during the storm and more importantly, after the storm has passed. Cause at that point, not only are dealing with the after effects and debris, but now you have to deal with those who were unprepared. The looters, the people looking for food or water and they will kill you if they have to if they feel it is a choice between your life or their life.

And let us not mince words... this is the Northeast US. A place where law abiding people are unarmed and the criminals have the guns. Knowing how to react in this part of the country can very literally mean life or death.

So disappointed? Not at all. My Mother lives in Philadelphia. My Brother lives in Philadelphia. You really think I am hoping for devastation?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Once again you are being myopic that this is just a hurricane. You have never in your life been a storm like this.
If you are trying to calm the hype, don't rely on your personal experience since you don't have any with this type of storm.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Bad ass picture from today

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

That doesnt look real. I also saw it on Facebook earlier.

Is it photo shopped?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MissJp

That's where I found it too, not sure... They didn't state anything about it being photo shopped... But who knows...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

It is photoshopped.

Cool, right? One problem: It’s fake. Myth-busting website Snopes.com actually busted the myth two years ago—when the photo emerged in the aftermath of a Brooklyn tornado. Turns out it’s a mashup of a photo of a statue and the storm-darkened skies over Nebraska. Sandy’s scary, but she’s not Ghostbuster-scary, people.
snopes.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

it doesn't matter anymore
edit on 29-10-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
please delete

edit on 29-10-2012 by baburak because:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by voyger2
reply to post by jhn7537

there should be negative stars for ppl who publish fake stuff
IMO

thanks

Negative stars??? I guess you're on here to get stars or flags... I could care less....... I posted a photo that I found on FB, I never said it was real, I said it was a bad ass photo from today... sigh

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

It's definitely not real. The storm isn't even there yet/isn't making landfall in NYC.
edit on 10/29/2012 by ravenshadow13 because: clarity

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I understand what you are saying completely, but understand this... being emotional in times of high stress can get you killed. Now is the time for people to use common sense. Use your head. Remain calm. Making decisions or acting out of emotion is how people get hurt in these situations.

I understand completely what it is like to be without power for weeks. I was living in North Carolina in early 2000 when a huge ice storm came through. We were without power for weeks. People literally burned up in their homes because they built fires in the middle of their living rooms trying to keep warm. Believe me... I get it.

I am not trying to be a Mr. Know it all and if that is how you choose to take my words, so be it. I can't help that and I can't control that.

And yes, Floyd was devastating, but comparing a Cat 4 Hurricane to a Cat 1 Hurricane is like comparing Irene to Katrina. This storm is a Cat 1 which means 75 mph to 90 mph winds.. storms like Katrina and Floyd were much much stronger which means increased wind speeds well over 100 mph. If my memory is correct, Floyd was a Cat 4 which came onshore with 135 mph wind speeds gusting to over 150 mph.

and a quick update for those who care: Do not be shocked if this storm does get upgraded to a Cat 2. It will be a close call. It's current wind speeds are at 90 mph with wind gust of 115 mph. 96 mph is considered a Cat 2. That being said, the eyes appears to be right off the coast of Delaware and once it makes landfall it will begin to weaken some and will not strengthen. So there is a chance to see the storm upgraded to a Cat 2. It should drop to Tropical Storm strength within the next 20 hours, so sometime over night between 8pm Monday evening and 8am Tuesday morning.

My advise: Catch a nap now cause your in for a long night.

Some things to know is relation to where you live: The "right" side of the storm is typically where you find the strongest wind speeds. This storm is moving West at this time, so if you are North of the eye, expect the strongest winds. Once it turns on Tuesday, if you are East of the eye, you can expect the strongest wind speeds. If you have a lot of trees in your area or by your home, I highly suggest sleeping in the lowest part of your home. In the event a tree does fall, you have the upper floors to slow the tree and even stop the tree. If you have not boarded up your windows, duct tape is your friend. Use the duct tape and make a big X on your window. It is a pain to clean up afterwards, but it can keep your window together should it shatter.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join