It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Superstorm Threat Launches Mass Evacuations (Thread Will Include Updates)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
GRRRRRR! My nephew who is visiting from Colorado can't get a flight back until Friday. He is dropping his wife and two kids off at his Mom's (my sister) and is driving up to the ocean with friends! He is a rugged outdoor type and normally very intelligent. I don't know what the hell he's thinking. He told his Mom, "I have two kids, I'll be careful." How careul can you be when they are evacuating?

Maybe there will be roadblocks or something.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by MrWendal

Do you understand it is not the hurricane number we are looking at but the surge of the tides? This is not like other events from the past it is unprecedented. Please do not underestimate how the sucking back out will cause the most dangerous conditions we have ever seen in many areas.

If you read my full post, you would see where I mentioned Storm Surge and how the waters will continue to rise AFTER the storm has passed.

This may be the most dangerous conditions YOU have ever seen, but it is not the most dangerous conditions that area has ever seen. Not by a long shot.

This is the problem with some people, you have no idea of the history of your own areas. You are clueless as to what has happened in your own backyards. So just because it is new to YOU as an individual, does not mean there is nothing to compare it to.

Learn from history or you are doomed to repeat it. This storm does not have to be deadly and anyone who takes the time to learn from the history of storms in this area would know what to do.

Those people who are calling for rescue now on the coast line are idiots. Had they bothered to even view the data, they would have known (based on the data) that storm surge will be over 20 feet and it would be in their best interest to leave. Fact is, when it comes to hurricanes, the greatest loss of life occurs from the flooding. Not the winds, not even the storm itself, but when storm surge becomes the issue and areas get flooded. That is when people die and it has happened that way in every storm since the beginning of time.

As being someone who lives in a highly active hurricane area and being a person who has lived through many hurricanes all over the East Coast and the Gulf Coast it is very offensive to me when people carry on and on and on about how destructive these wimpy storms will be. Hurricane Andrew in my opinion was destructive. It hit with 125 mph winds that tore down homes with people in them. It flattened entire sections of neighborhoods. That to me, is destruction. That to me, is the kind of storm they takes lives and there is very little you can do about it but simply get out of it's way. That to me, is a destructive storm. This storm will NOT do what you see in this picture

That is what was left after Hurricane Andrew.

Storms like this, you can ride out depending on location. Based on the data, you make your decision. If I lived right on the coast, I would look at the storm surge data. Then I would look to see how high above sea level I was. If you are inland, it's a different ballgame. Chances are you wont have your home leveled by these 75 mph winds. Homes in the northeast are built pretty well. Believe it or not, they are built much better than in areas of the South, but you always have to consider flooding potential. If you are near dams or reservoirs, you have to consider the possibility that waters will rise above and spill over. Or that dikes will crumble. These are the factors one must consider.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
GRRRRRR! My nephew who is visiting from Colorado can't get a flight back until Friday. He is dropping his wife and two kids off at his Mom's (my sister) and is driving up to the ocean with friends! He is a rugged outdoor type and normally very intelligent. I don't know what the hell he's thinking. He told his Mom, "I have two kids, I'll be careful." How careul can you be when they are evacuating?

Maybe there will be roadblocks or something.

There are roadblocks. You can not even drive in Delaware right now. Roads are closed.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Every shore web cam I check has been turned off or is no longer working. I saw something on the tv a few minutes ago that said part of the Atlantic City Boardwalk has collapsed.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

It's good to see down below that there WILL be roadblocks put into place. I don't know what he could be thinking either heading TOWARDS the danger. I hope that he will stay safe.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

How about before your next, "nothing to see here move along" post, you spend a couple minutes finding out why this isn't a common weather event. For one, you are focusing on the fact that there is a hurricane. Yeah, those are common. So is the Jet Stream. So is a winter storm. But how about you throw all three of those events meeting at the same time and see if that still is "common"
Don't know if it is true or not but I read that the surge is going hit NY at around 8pm and high tide is at 9pm and there is a full moon...You still want to say nothing new if all these factors are combined?
I bet the economic impact will be new........before you say that isn't new.......if you lose your wallet with $10 in it and then get home to find your house burnt to the ground with all your possessions. Would you think someone brilliant who would point out to you that since you already suffered a $10 loss, a bigger loss doesn't make it new.

Just some food for thought before your next officer Barbrady post.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Thank you very much for that. It means a lot to probably not only me but everyone else that is underneath this thing and expecting a large brunt of its force. I know a lot of people down south are complaining that we're just being babies because we never have as many hurricanes as they do, but it's not just us being sissies. This is VERY serious with all of these things meeting together at once. It is being steered and it is slow moving to hit a lot of land masses with the country's largest population centers. Cities could be shut down for weeks. This is nothing to sneeze at. Many areas are not only getting the force of this hurricane but a blizzard backed by the hurricane to boot. A hurriblizzard sounds pretty dangerous to me.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
As a hurricane survivor, my prayers are with all of you in the path of Sandy. Those of us in Florida and the rest of the Gulf Coast know all too well what can happen with a system like this. Please do not underestimate what this storm is capable of.

Will be sending aid, money, and possibly myself and a few others up afterwards to help with recovery. We're handy with chainsaws and limb removal

All My Best,

D
edit on 29-10-2012 by Dreine because: lollipops

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I believe I discussed the economic impact in terms that in cost it WILL be high. Fact is, things cost more today than they did in 1960, 1930, 1920. So in those terms, yes it will set a record.

But in terms of actual damage, it will pale in comparison. You will not see homes leveled to the ground like in previous storms.

I think I have been very very clear on this point.

Also food for thought: Storm Surge predictions have now been updated to 6-11 feet which is down from the 20 feet predicted in earlier reports. For comparison, Hurricane Irene had a storm surge of 4.4 feet in Battery Park NY.

So data is your friend

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have to say... so many of you remind me of the posters I went round and round with during Hurricanes Irene and Gustav.

Yet after it was all said and done, I was proven to be 100% correct and accurate.

So many of you during Gustav told me I was insane to ride it out. I told everyone, in my area, it would be a joke of a storm and would amount to nothing more than a strong thunderstorm. Yet posters wanted to parrot The Weather Channel's fear mongering, but I was proven correct.

During Irene, I told everyone what to expect from the Storm Surge. I told everyone exactly what would happen. Yet posters wanted to parrot the fear mongering from the news channels and in the end, I was proven 100% correct.

When will you guys learn? The data tells the story. This is not rocket science.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Yikes, good luck all with that.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Well, erm, certainly has blessed you with a gift of sorts...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Current data show the strength increasing now to 90mph and pressure keeps going down now 943 mb!!!!!

The pressure increase and increase in strength is NOT a good sign. The eye core is still getting stronger! This will be a long term event to last about 3 days!!! That means if electricity goes out on day 1, it will be another 3 days before people can even try to get that fixed....

I'm still getting 30mph wind gusts and luckily have not received but a few inches of rain total......The worst part for me is over.....Still I am happy that I was prepared for the worst! I hope people take this storm serious. Stay Safe everyone, and don't do anything stupid!!

Prayers going out to everyone in the east here being affected.....

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Just for you!

www.nhregister.com

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J.— Rising waters put most of Atlantic City under water Monday as the approach of Hurricane Sandy flooded towns up and down the New Jersey shore, knocked out power to thousands and left some people stranded in water-surrounded homes, forcing rescues. Emergency officials said they expected conditions to get much worse at evening high tide.

The full brunt of the storm isn't even there yet!

edit on Mon Oct 29 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: FIXED TAGS

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I believe what you're trying to post is that Atlantic City is allegedly underwater.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The latest reports said the storm is becoming far worse than the initial projections. They had not forecast the pressure dropping this much. They had not predicted the size would reach to over a thousand miles across. They had not planned on the wind speed gaining to 90 mph.

One meteorologist on TWC said it was much worse than their "worst case" scenarios had been calculated at.

So before we write this off as "oh well, it's just a strong Cat 1 storm...bear in mind that since this hasn't happened since we have been keeping track of damages...we have no idea how much damage this can do.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

IRENE devastated my town!!!!! I don't care if its a cat 1 storm!!!!! When the trees fell on the power lines, we were without power lines for so long, people were hungry and flash mobbed the hospital where I was working and literally grabbed and stole all the food meant for patients and staff!!!!! I literally was witness to that as I was stuck there for 3 days and had not seen my own children and husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time I could get home to my family I snapped a few pics of trees around my town that went down......there were nearly a hundred of these trees down!

And yes it was just a lil ol CAT 1 storm......
Our hospital was without our back up generator for hours too!! People DIED it was so hot and we could not help them........

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hurricane Sandy Surfing… Pumphouse Tow in - FL

edit on 29-10-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Yes it is called storm surge. A rising of the sea as a result of atmospheric pressure changes and wind associated with a storm. It was expected.

As I said, coastal areas will be flooded. Have you been to Atlantic City? It is literally right on the coast line. You can stand on the boardwalk and throw a rock into the Ocean. As a child I often wondered how the boardwalk even remained standing. It is a rickety old structure that creaks and squeaks as you walk on it.

Oh and I guess I should mention, Atlantic City at the coast is a whole 7 feet above sea level. Flooding here should not be a shock in the least. At it's highest elevation, near the airport, it is 175 feet. You will not see flooding at the airport, but you will see flooding in the low lying areas, which 7 feet certainly qualifies as "low lying area".

Again- it is not rocket science.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here are some "live" videos and photos from Twitter and Facebook.

usnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Again- it is not rocket science.

I realize that. I was in Louisiana for Katrina and Rita. You keep talking about storm surge, which does do quite a bit of damage, but this is still very early on, quite ahead of rain combined with the storm surge.This storm is moving very slowly. That is what happened just this last August with Isaac that was only a category 1 when it made landfall, but was very slow moving, so they got a lot more rain than anybody was anticipating.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join