US Superstorm Threat Launches Mass Evacuations (Thread Will Include Updates)

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I agree that the media is driving people to the point of insanity. Went to the grocery store last night and it was stripped....madness.

My point was in the other post.. If the experts say it could get bad...it just might do that. Your efforts to "calm everyone down" is not needed or really even desired. If people getting excited saves lives...so be it.

The other issue is...this is not a typical storm so "the voice of reason" from someone....anyone....who has not rode a storm like this out should keep their condescending overtones to themselves. I am completely across the state of Virginia in the mountains of the northwest corner and the winds have been absolutely howling...powerful gusts which I have no way to measure... My power has flashed on and off several times already.

So...I appreciate it feels nice to talk down to others...especially from the lofty positions of a superiority complex and self appointed authority...but you, nor me, nor anyone has experienced a storm quite like this one in recorded history and should save the rhetoric of expertise to the real experts.

it is a thousand miles across BTW....
edit on 10/29/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Monkeygod333

Buildings generally arent built to bend.

Not true.

In Los Angeles tall buildings are built on rollers - - - so they sway intentionally.

Depends on what building - - how old - - construction of foundation.
in ny, apparently buildings are built to fall in their own foot print.. this lessens collateral damage, from lets say, airplanes.not sure about hurricanes.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Yes I meant that the one hitting New Orleans had more energy but NY has more high buildings.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IsawWHATtheyDID

In their own foot prints? You mean like imploding like when professionally demolished?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
How did 9/11 implications get caught up in a Hurricane thread?

Either way, a large storm hitting NYC wouldn't be good in any way, shape, or form. I'm sure the wind roiling through the buildings will cause something hellish.

And even with the buildings being designed to 'fall in their own footprint', the gusts of wind most likely will hinder that at some point.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

I agree that the media is driving people to the point of insanity. Went to the grocery store last night and it was stripped....madness.

My point was in the other post.. If the experts say it could get bad...it just might do that. Your efforts to "calm everyone down" is not needed or really even desired. If people getting excited saves lives...so be it.

The other issue is...this is not a typical storm so "the voice of reason" from someone....anyone....who has not rode a storm like this out should keep their condescending overtones to themselves. I am completely across the state of Virginia in the mountains of the northwest corner and the winds have been absolutely howling...powerful gusts which I have no way to measure... My power has flashed on and off several times already.

So...I appreciate it feels nice to talk down to others...especially from the lofty positions of a superiority complex and self appointed authority...but you, nor me, nor anyone has experienced a storm quite like this one in recorded history and should save the rhetoric of expertise to the real experts.

it is a thousand miles across BTW....
edit on 10/29/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

Well if my contributions to this thread and these boards is not wanted, so be it. Eat up your fear mongering, scare yourself silly, have a nice day and gfys.

It is people like you, with post like this that actually drives contributing members off these boards. Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand my perspective from years of experience on these same boards compared to your whooping 4 months of contributions, but I am sure you are some type of expert.

Your foolishness absolutely amuses me. If you think for one second you have nothing to be learned from people who have experience in these types of situations, I feel sorry for you.

Enjoy your fear mongering thread. I won't be back. So smile and be happy.

edit to add: I love how you want to call me condescending, yet have the nerve to tell others what is useful information and what is not.

Also, the storm may be 1000 miles wide but it is not 2000 miles wide as the other poster pointed out and I said was wrong, but dont let a little thing like facts get in the way of pumping out your chest and talking tough
edit on 29-10-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
Also, the storm may be 1000 miles wide but it is not 2000 miles wide as the other poster pointed out and I said was wrong, but dont let a little thing like facts get in the way of pumping out your chest and talking tough
edit on 29-10-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

Show me when I ever said that the storm was 2000 miles wide... The storm has a 2000 mile perimeter.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This photo was taken in Brigantine....

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Fake Pic, sorry had to remove, Thanks. TheOtter
edit on 29-10-2012 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
HURRICANE SANDY: Atlantic City, NJ pier collapsing..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yes, I concede that some newer buildings may be designed to withstand such high winds.

That being said, there are a lot more much older buildings above 60 stories than there are ones with crafty wind designs.

So let me rephrase, Old buildings are not built to bend.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Fairfield police breaking out the big guns...helping those in need.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Sorry to disappoint, but the Statue of Liberty photo is a fake.

Link

It is a scene from The Day After Tomorrow.
edit on 29-10-2012 by TheOtter because: Fixing autocorrect mistake

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Bad ass picture from today

Where is the non-photo shopped version?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

Thanks for the info, pic deleted, got it in time to still edit and get rid of it.

I was wondering if it was real or not, but it was with the other two, but it did seem out of place.

Thanks for the head's up.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Originally posted by tbn3fl
reply to post by MrWendal or ??? debunk this?

What you said would result in a weakening of Sandy when it collides with the winter storm isn't true. The cold air coming down from Canada will join Sandy along with the upper low trough coming from the west.

Sandy will weaken as a result of making landfall. That has nothing to do with colliding with the winter storm.
That being said, they systems will not feed one another, one will absorb the other. At the time that this happens, Sandy will be well over land and not over the ocean. This storm is not cruising up the coast line, it is literally coming into land.
i]reply to post by MrWendal

At the time I wrote the post it was running parallel to the eastern seaboard.
Technically yes, one storm will absorb the other. Semantics. When the storms 'collide/meet' and in this case there are 2 separate weather fronts, the one coming down from Canada, the one coming in from the west. It's about 50+/- miles off Atlantic City (the eye)' although obviously you can see the bands are already extending to the middle of Ohio.
Advisory just on that the air mass from Canada "the Nor'easter" is absorbing Sandy, however that doesn't seem to be indicating a decrease in storm intensity. In fact it is adding more energy to the combined storm, if you will. Winds in New Jersey are still gusting upwards of 50-60mph. Less rain but not wind. The energy of the storm since being absorbed by the air mass from Canada will be driving the storm surge onto land. Much of Atlantic City is underwater. About 1/2million power outages (according to Gov. Cuomo), in NYC. Around Kings Pt. near the Battery they are still expecting 7' above normal and can't be sure until after high tide. If it continues to move and doesn't stall right near where it comes in the tide going out will be helpful. In the other scenario, the tide going out would have no where to go and become part of the problem. Don't want to see that!

I don't think we are disagreeing on much here but the way we both are presenting the info. Although I agree with you that once a hurricane hits land it's starts to downgrade in intensity, the uniqueness of this weather event doesn't display the same characteristics. And energy does feed energy.
Having been in medical school when Camille hit Mississippi (me in New Orleans), I saw the devastation, and it was devastation to be sure in Biloxi and surrounding areas. That was a hurricane. This is a bit of an anomaly. There's allot of water being pushed into the land from that NE quadrant and its hard to say for anyone how much effect that will have in NJ, NYC, DE, et al. Doesn't need to be overmuch to bring that large a population dependent on public services to a slow crawl if not a stand still.

I suppose this is meaningless now however since you have decided to pick up your marbles and go home! Hmm, how old does than make you feel?
Thought your posts were fine until you want to abandon ship. We can all agree to disagree somewhat. He'll, none of us really know what will happen any more than the "experts" on NOAA or The Weather Channel. We just have our own experiences and educated cases.

Please all of you in NJ, NYC, DE.......keep us updated as long as you can. Stay safe, don't do anything silly.

Tn3fl

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Looks like those who are in jail are SOL as they are being left behind?????

theintelhub.com...
edit on 29-10-2012 by trig_grl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

They better hope the storm dosent breach the compound of the prision, talk about a bad movie come to life.

Could totally change the game.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
This photo was taken in Brigantine....

Id be getting on the life vest ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
HURRICANE SANDY: Atlantic City, NJ pier collapsing..

I hope nucky thompson is alright

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join