It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Superstorm Threat Launches Mass Evacuations (Thread Will Include Updates)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I remember the Nor Easter from 91. I lived in Rockeville Centre on Long Island. Only time in my life I have ever heard the 'Emergency Broadcast System" take over the radio, and it was'nt a test. The snow was blowing sideways and the wind was extreme. And that was not a hurricane.

I can recall all the talk in the days following about the "what if" scenarios. I can remember them saying that if it was a hurricane hitting at high tide and from the direction this one is coming from. That the sign at Green Acres Mall would have been under four foot of water. Green Acres Mall was about 5-6 miles further inland than where I lived. It was a wake-up call to head back south.

To those of you that live there, guys this one may be "the one".. I hope for alll of you guys that this is all a bunch of talk and much to do about nothing. But, if it's worse than the storm I remember from 91, you guys are gonna get pounded. Imagine a power outage in NY City for a prolonged period of time, flooded subways, man I hope all this don't happen. I wish all who are in the path of this storm the best. Stay safe as best you guys can. I learned this A.M. that my niece who lives in Long Beach, has used her head and is headed south for a few days. Prudent thinking on her part.
edit on 29-10-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
A lot of evacuations in seaside towns here in Rhode Island. I'm not close to the ocean, so not too worried. So far it's a little windy and rainy.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Im Long Island - West Islip in Suffolk County and less than 500 feet from the Great South Bay. The only evacuations were on Fire Island, the Copaigue, Amityville, eastern Lindenhurst area and some coastal areas in Nassau County (ie: Long Beach, Massapequa, Atlantic Beach, etc), no flooding, and only a few power flickers. The main brunt of the storm isent even coming here - it's going to the Delmarva Peninsula (landfall in northern Delaware).

The only major problem we will have is long term power outages (7-10 days) caused by the incompetence of LIPA.
edit on 29-10-2012 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Lipa must be new name for Lilco. They were pretty crappy while I was there too. Except we got our Power from Rockville Centre. Just hope there's no major flooding & power outages for long periods. Hope all is well for you in the next couple days. Stay safe.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Have you seen the size of that storm? People have died.

Hyping the dangers? I don't think so.

Yes, I have seen the size and there have been other hurricanes that size as well.

And yes, people have died. Just like people in the Caribbean from other storms before as well. That happens when you live on an island and there are few places to go to hide from a storm. Thus far the death toll in the Caribbean is a total of 65 people... on an island. That is no shock to me. Can you name ANY hurricane that did not kill people?

Many of us think of Hurricane Irene as one of those massively hyped storms. It killed 44 people. This storm is nothing new. A hurricane in October, is nothing new. A hurricane on the East Coast is nothing new. This storm's path- also nothing new. It has all happened before, it will all happen again. This storm is not breaking any new ground.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
those of you in the Northeast, stay safe.. I have been thru a few hurricanes in my life.. Nothing as exciting then seeing the sheer strength of Mother nature, BUT hurricanes leaves messes behind.. I am guessing allot of our brothers and sisters in NJ, NY, and along the eastern seaboard, have never been thru a FULL blown Hurricane.. This is a no brainer, gonna lose power, serious flooding in many spots, I am betting the infrastructure, in certain places will collapse as well. If you have not yet, I would stock up on can goods, water, fuel etc. things may get miserable quickly and COLD.....

I don't think this storm is over hyped...

Combined with the cold, it can be deadly.... Very deadly, if not heeding the warning..

Stay safe..

Looks like its going to be a long night for you guys and gals tonight...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I am also not far from Philly and it is very rainy here and the wind has picked up a bit! We went through Irene last year and actually didn't have more than a couple hours without power. However, with this storm I have gotten emails from my electric AND my gas companies advising of the possiblities of no power for up to 10 days. They each provided links for "prepping" websites and listed all their online and off line contact information.

I have to say, this storm has me a little concerned! Especially when you add in the "winter mix" storm we have moving in from the west! Looks like snow for Halloween two years in a row lol!!

Stay safe everyone!! And here's to hoping all who needed D batteries was able to find them at a reasonable cost hehe!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
Hi everyone, I thought id open up a disscuion & keep everyone updated on the Superstorm that will happen in the US in the coming Weeks.

I Live In Western NY Just Below Buffalo NY..About 40 miles from Lake Erie .I'll Keep this Thread posted on my area as well! S&F !!!
As of this morning it is just Grey and drizzly right now about 40F ...So far so good..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hey everyone, especially those on the east coast effected by the storm. Stay safe, be wise.
Also I couldnt help but notice that there have been many hurricanes in the past and even plain ol severe storms worse than this one, this is a catagory 1 right? I just dont get all the extreme alarm, people are reacting like this is a catagory 4 monster and an meteor in inbound. Just does not make sense to me. I am not trying to be disrespectful but considering all the data on this storm I just cant see justification on the reaction I am seeing.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hi all!
First, good luck to all in the path of this hurricane/storm/franken... I understand it's a big one. I even read on some news website they're comparing what's happening now to a disaster movie scenario coming alive. Stay safe!

2nd, for those that don't know about this yet, here's a good auto-updating source of info regarding Sandy:

www.breakingnews.com...

It's scary, I admit. If this were to happen where I live, I imagine the loss of life would be in the tens of thousands.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by imagineering

That's what I don't understand. We've seen storms be for, but why all the hype about this one and why now?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by imagineering

From what I understand, category is not what worries authorities about Sandy.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

I am in tears after watching on the hurricane updates a teenager and his dad who chose to stay, they have been through it before and are as prepared as can be, BUT now 2 hours+ after high tide, they are not so sure but sticking it out. If the dad wants to stay he can but should send his son to safety.

Listen I was a surfer for the first half of my life and have an intuition about the surf, I am watching not the size of the waves but the way it is pulling out to sea, this tells me that the currents are building and tonight high tide is going to be deadly.

You cannot imagine the powerful force behind this part of nature.

People who stayed, are now calling 911 to come rescue them and the emergency workers cannot get to them, the storm has not even arrived yet!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84
Funny that someone from Louisiana would come out on ATS and say that the media is pumping up what will probably be the worst hurricane to hit the northeast in recorded history.

I live right on the edge of the Catskill and the Hudson Valley in NY. Irene really rocked us last year and then Lee did considerable damage as well.

We already have high rivers (the Delaware, in particular) and the storm will be hitting around the same time as max high tide.

They have started evacuating lower Manhattan.

This storm is going to be catastrophic.

They should evacuated lower Manhattan! It is not that high above sea level to begin with. The corner of 8th and 25th is literally only 19 feet above sea level.

Do you know that a storm Cat 2 or 3 has the potential to destroy lower Manhattan? and a storm of that size, hitting dead on into NY is actually LONG overdue. This possibility was actually covered by a series produced by the Weather Channel on a show called "It could happen tomorrow" Here is a clip, and notice the storm path discussed early on in this video... sound familiar?

This will not be the worst storm to hit the NE in recorded History, but it has the potential to be in terms of damage or monetary losses due to the fact that the area is much more populated today than it was in say 1920 or 1930.

You mentioned Hurricane Irene. Did you know that Hurricane Donna from September of 1960 followed a very similar path? Donna made landfall in the Florida Keys as a Cat 4, the Florida Peninsula as a Cat 3 then went back out to sea and made landfall again in Virgina.

Know what other hurricanes caused massive flooding and damage in the North East? Try The Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944 or the New England Hurricane of 1938.

Know what else is "funny"? I am not FROM Louisiana. I just currently reside here. I am actually FROM Philadelphia and I can remember a Hurricane that came through that area when I was in the 5th grade. I stayed glued to the TV during that storm since I was off from school and that was my very first hurricane experience in what would eventually become a LONG line of Hurricane experiences.

So yes, I will come out on ATS and say that this storm is being hyped up, because it is. It is a Cat 1. Let me tell you what you will see.

You will see sustained winds of 75 mph with wind gust around 85 mph. You will see a slow weakening of this storm, probably happening after day 1 just prior to this storm making a turn to the North - North East. You will see massive amounts of rainfall. Once the ground is saturated and can no longer soak in any more water, you will see flooding. If you are by rivers, especially rivers that are fed from the Ocean, you will see storm surge and even after the storm has passed, the water will continue to rise.

It is not rocket science. It has happened before, it will happen again. It happens during any hurricane. Should precautions be taken? Absolutely. Is it the end of the world? Absolutely not. Does there have to be a huge death toll? Not at all. And in comparison to other storms that have went through the North East USA, this one is actually large in size but not packing the punch of many other storms that came before it.

Prices are different today than they were in 1980 or 1960 or 1944, so in terms of destruction and cost it could set a record, but only because cost is much higher today than it was back then.
edit on 29-10-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Do you understand it is not the hurricane number we are looking at but the surge of the tides? This is not like other events from the past it is unprecedented. Please do not underestimate how the sucking back out will cause the most dangerous conditions we have ever seen in many areas.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I work 5 minutes from NYC and Im sitting in my office. No rain yet but the wind gusts are hitting hard and sporadically....my boss said i have no choice but to come to work

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
They are saying if you are bilingual or have elderly/disabled neighbors, help them understand the severity of this situation. Not everyone is part of the electronic society.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

Wow, if you have family/children/elderlyparents I would have brought them in with me, tell your boss that where you go in the state of emergency they go!!!

I am sorry, and pray that you are at ease.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I live over in North East Ohio, it's already been raining for 2 days, not heavy but incessant, they have told anyone with a boat in a Lake Erie harbour to get it out. Expecting up to 20+ foot waves near the shore and 60+ mile an hour wind. Luckily I'm quite away from the shore but maybe I can get up there to take some pics in the next couple of days. Just for reference, we are usually told it's a bad day for sailing on Lake Erie if the waves are at 7 feet a mile out or more...20' by the shore is tremendous.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
If you have children under the age of two...I strongly urge you to move as far inland as you can and find somewhere that has backup power...the cold and snow after the storm is what is going to prevent help from arriving any time soon...I am praying for all the babies and children...God Bless your little souls. Parents and adults...you need to be prepared to be without power for at least three weeks. Some of you seem to be taking this pretty lightly and I must say, karma is not one to be teased

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join