It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Superstorm Threat Launches Mass Evacuations (Thread Will Include Updates)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
reply to post by MrWendal

The latest reports said the storm is becoming far worse than the initial projections. They had not forecast the pressure dropping this much. They had not predicted the size would reach to over a thousand miles across. They had not planned on the wind speed gaining to 90 mph.

One meteorologist on TWC said it was much worse than their "worst case" scenarios had been calculated at.

So before we write this off as "oh well, it's just a strong Cat 1 storm...bear in mind that since this hasn't happened since we have been keeping track of damages...we have no idea how much damage this can do.

Well your first problem is that you are watching TWC. You have any idea how many times they have said those words? TWC's fear mongering is well documented. They were just a tad bit exposed during Irene as this reporter found it very hard to stress how "dangerous" that storm was with all the people dancing in the streets

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
West Michigan here, we're experiencing heavy gusts that are speculated to be influenced by the hurricane. Yesterday was beautiful, so the sudden change is plausibly connected to the storm. I'm not an expert, so I can't give a definite answer on that. The weather people are forecasting snow and sleet over the next couple of days, due to the storm's progress, so I guess we'll see.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Trees falling on power lines is not what I call "devastation". That is what I call expected. When you have wind speeds in the 80 mph range, one would expect trees to fall. It happens all the time. Trees even fall during thunderstorms when wind gust reaches high levels.

So that is not what I call "devastation" at all. The effects of Hurricane Katrina was devastation. Andrew was devastation. If a tree falling on a power line and you being without power for a couple days is what you call "devastation" than you are a very spoiled person and I would hate to see how you react to a truly devastating scenario.

Those people who stole the food in your hospital? They are the idiots of the world. They are the unprepared. The world is full of them. Want to know what I do for hurricanes in my area? I buy food, water, ammo and I am prepared to cook on a grill for 5 days minimum. That is what one should do in extreme weather. But there are many people who can not comprehend what it is to have no power for extended periods of time. They are the spoiled. They are the people who can not see far enough into the future to imagine opening the refrigerator and finding the food spoiled and rotten because the power was not on to keep the contents inside cold.

If you want to see true "devastation" just let me know. I will be happy to post pics I took myself of tornado ravaged areas in the midwest from my days of living in Kansas and chasing storms as a hobby. I will be happy to post pics of the effects of true "devastation" left behind in the wake of Hurricanes, pics I took myself. A downed tree does not impress me and does not qualify as "devastation". When you spend months boiling water in order to make is safe to drink, you will know what real devastation is and being without power for a whole 3 days ain't it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
LOL, just got done watching CNN a few minutes ago, the reporter was interviewing a family who was leaving and a guy in scuba gear. Best part of the clip was the man walking in waste deep water in the middle of the road in the background drinking a beer...hahaha

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
West Michigan here, we're experiencing heavy gusts that are speculated to be influenced by the hurricane. Yesterday was beautiful, so the sudden change is plausibly connected to the storm. I'm not an expert, so I can't give a definite answer on that. The weather people are forecasting snow and sleet over the next couple of days, due to the storm's progress, so I guess we'll see.

I'm in Chicago, they were saying on Tuesday/Wed this week Lake Michigan could be very choppy and rough in certain areas. They even stated to expect waves crashing the lake shore drive shore of 20-25 ft high..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Sounds like you're disappointed that Sandy will not be as "devastating" as the authorities say. If it isn't then we should all count our blessings and move on.

I do not think the authorities are causing panic and hyping things up they are trying to get the people that are in dangerous areas to evacuate; now the media on the other hand...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I have to say... so many of you remind me of the posters I went round and round with during Hurricanes Irene and Gustav.

Yet after it was all said and done, I was proven to be 100% correct and accurate.

So many of you during Gustav told me I was insane to ride it out. I told everyone, in my area, it would be a joke of a storm and would amount to nothing more than a strong thunderstorm. Yet posters wanted to parrot The Weather Channel's fear mongering, but I was proven correct.

During Irene, I told everyone what to expect from the Storm Surge. I told everyone exactly what would happen. Yet posters wanted to parrot the fear mongering from the news channels and in the end, I was proven 100% correct.

When will you guys learn? The data tells the story. This is not rocket science.

Human lives lost too is not rocket science.

I understand what you are doing here, and should be applauded, for you are only attempting to prevent others from panicking.

However, your accounts of being 100% right everytime smacks of arrogance, if not sheer complacency. In both cases you qouted, human lives had been lost and property damage no matter how much you take pride in your own lucky survival through recklessness and the cheek to claim you were right when officials and media had predicted lost to lives and damage, and they have probably saved many more by advicing them to evacuate to safety.

Not all will be as lucky as you. And not all storms are the same. Best not be complacent. We do not have to subscribe to fear mongering, but neither do we have to throw all precautions to the wind, more so in this strange and massive storm.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Did anyone else just see that interview on CNN with some idiots who decided to stay at home? There was guy with his full scuba gear on claiming he needed to stay and protect his and his neighbors houses. I guess in New Jersey even marine life can loot a neighborhood.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel
I realize that. I was in Louisiana for Katrina and Rita. You keep talking about storm surge, which does do quite a bit of damage, but this is still very early on, quite ahead of rain combined with the storm surge.This storm is moving very slowly. That is what happened just this last August with Isaac that was only a category 1 when it made landfall, but was very slow moving, so they got a lot more rain than anybody was anticipating.

Yes I was here for Issac, which was more than slow moving. Isaac actually stalled out right after making land fall and did not move for a day or two.

As I said in a previous post, with the heavy rainfall, the ground will soak up as much water as it can. After it reaches a point that it can no longer soak up any more water, you will begin to see the flooding.

Maybe some of you misread the things I post. I am not saying there will no NO damage at all. I am not saying this is a walk in the park storm and everything is fine. What I am saying is that you can easily know what to expect by looking at the data and knowing the area in which you live.

I have lived on the East Coast. I grew up in Philadelphia, spending every summer in on the Jersey shore. I know this area. I know what to expect from experience. I know what the data is saying. Combine the two, use some common sense, and you get a feel for what is coming.

My advise for this storm is pretty simple. Have at least 5 days worth of food. Be prepared to be without power for 5 days. Be prepared to take care of yourself in that time. Do not expect to run to the grocery store and get food. Chances are, it will be closed and you will have no power to cook on your electric stove anyway.

Be prepared for flooding in some areas. If you live by a creek, river, stream, or even a reservoir be prepared for flooding. The amount of rainfall will cause this water to flow over it's banks. It will cover the land- but it will NOT be life threatening if you prepare for it. It does not have to be.

If you live on the coast- you should have evacuated. Storm surge was projected at 20+ feet. It does not take a genius to see that if you live on the beach, 20+ feet of extra water will flood your home. This is all common sense and simple math.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I hope you all understand that Sandy won't arrive into NY/NJ until later on tonight. Don't be so anxious to write this thing off. It hasn't even started, yet!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So how many people need to die in order for this to be considered devistating? 10? 20? 100? Not tying to be sarcastic, but if all this media overhype saves even one life, I'd rather they do it. The worst that will happen if it turns out to be nothing major is a lot of people have extra milk, bread, bottled water & batteries.

I'd also like to point out that they are calling for 16-22 ft. surges on the south side of Lake Ontario. That is something I doubt anyone in the area was expecting & I suspect the many lakeside communities won't fair so well.

Personally, my only prep for it was to get gas for the generator because I suspect that I'll be firing it up by morning & I made sure I had some easy prep food in case the family comes over to hang out. (I'm the only one with a generator)

So stay safe everyone.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Do not be tricked by looking at the potential track arrows and center of circulation. Sandy is a 2000 mile storm, with tropical storm force winds extending out as far as 525 miles from the center.

The fact is, Sandy's winds have already approached the coast of New Jersey, and the surge is already starting to flow in.

Source: www.wunderground.com...

You are in correct in saying that the worse of it will occur when Sandy makes landfall later tonight between 8 - 9pm...
edit on 29-10-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-10-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

If you live on the coast- you should have evacuated. Storm surge was projected at 20+ feet. It does not take a genius to see that if you live on the beach, 20+ feet of extra water will flood your home. This is all common sense and simple math.

I don't think Mother Nature in her fury is ever simple.

People should always be prepared for whatever disaster might affect their area.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It looks nasty.

Stay safe.

Could this cause problems for your up-coming elections?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

It very well could affect the elections, especially in the mountains, and places where the surge will cause a lot of damage. It may take weeks for those places to be repaired, and in the mountains they may be snowed in for awhile.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by capone1

He's gonna feel like an idiot. The only thief will be a hurricane, and I'd like to see him try and stop that. All the criminals will be too busy saving their own lives, so anything that goes missing will be around. He'll probably find it a few miles down in a tree somewhere. Just attach a waterproof GPS device to all the important stuff and get the hell out, otherwise he'll join the wreckage.
edit on 29-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
It looks nasty.

Stay safe.

Could this cause problems for your up-coming elections?

It absolutely could. I have actually done a lot of research on what could happen. I wanted to start a thread but since it would be pointless since until Sandy actually hits, we will not know the damage it will cause.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

In a hurricane I'm pretty sure those looting employ this motto " Can't be eaten, can't be bothered."

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Wow, Irene vs Sandy, not even close in size

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

The sheer scale of the area to be affected is insane.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join