It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in need of some advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My life lacks direction (well, my work life at least). Im 26 and have been going from warehouse job to warehouse job since I was 18. I want something more, a job I enjoy, a higher income etc but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, one week its one thing, the next its another, I try to focus my efforts in one direction but its just not working.

So, im asking for advice.

does anybody know anyway that I can figure out what I want to do? any tricks? Tests? I dunno......

anyone???

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Here are some things to consider:

You are lead through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don’t turn away from possible futures before you’re certain you don’t have anything to learn from them. You’re always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past.

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and a t such a speed... It feels an impulsion... This is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reasons and the patterns behind the clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.

The world is your exercise book, the pages on which you do your sums. It is not reality, although you can express reality there if you wish. You are also free to write nonsense, or lies, or tear the pages.

In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.

Every person, all the events in your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you.

Hope these help.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
My life lacks direction (well, my work life at least). Im 26 and have been going from warehouse job to warehouse job since I was 18. I want something more, a job I enjoy, a higher income etc but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, one week its one thing, the next its another, I try to focus my efforts in one direction but its just not working.

So, im asking for advice.

does anybody know anyway that I can figure out what I want to do? any tricks? Tests? I dunno......

anyone???

Welcome to your 20's.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm now 32 and while I've gone back to school to refocus my career goals, I'm STILL not sure I'm cut out for what I've chosen or if it's right for me (and I did it for a living for 4 years in my mid 20's).

Sometimes you just wont know if a career is for you until you experience it. I would suggest making a list of occupations you think you would like to do, and narrow it down to 3 or 4 things. After that, see if there is a way you could do some job shadowing (spend a day with people of that profession, or even network with them) and ask them what it's like, the pros and cons, etc.

That should help you to at least narrow your list down to 1 or 2 things and then go from there (perhaps look at going back to school or taking training. Sort of depends on what occupations you're looking at).

Most importantly: Don't beat yourself up. It's perfectly normal not to have your life sorted out at 26. Take it in small steps and set achievable goals and meet them, and you will get there eventually. My 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The annoying thing is, I know I can achieve things that I set out to do. Its just hard when you dont know what goals you want to achieve.

I do whatever job I need to inorder to pay bills and the such, but id like to have a job with prospects, something I enjoy

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
As a person who wore those shoes before you, I can provide a bit of advice.

I would suggest pursuing a technical degree in Warehouse Management.

I have several years of Aviation Maintenance under my belt and am in school for just that. From there, I could go for more Avionics training and/or work on a private pilot's license.

You take what you have and build on it, with a degree AND experience, you have a leg up.

I used to have delusions of grandeur when I was younger. I thought things would fall into place and work themselves out and I would be well off, because it felt like they would. I have since ditched that mindset. Things do not happen on their own, you have to make them happen.

Most people told me to just do what I loved to do. Well, it wasn't that simple. I liked to do many things, but in a work environment, the joy was stripped from those activities. Also, I don't truly love to do anything that society will allow, at least, so certainly there are no jobs requiring such activities.

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

Have you tried taking an aptitude test? Just google it, there are several online. They can narrow your search and point you in the general direction.

For the record, I'm 37 and I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice. I must of seen 5 or 6 careers advisors already and they werent any help. I think ill try taking an aptitude test online, see what happens

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Something else that might help. Sit down and make a list of things you enjoy doing, like hiking, sports, being outside, etc. If you know that you want to be doing something physically challenging where you are predominantly outside, then that gives you some ideas of possible careers (construction, landscaping, etc).

If you prefer to work with your hands building things, then perhaps a mechanic, plumber, electrician.

If you enjoy being around people, then a job in retail or a restaurant might be in order.

If you prefer to be solitary and avoid people, then data management comes to mind.

Just tossing out ideas hope it helps.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I didnt have the slightest idea what I wanted to do either.

I changed jobs about every 2 or 3 years until I found my career path at 30 years of age.

Eventually, you will happen across it and know it when it happens.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

i prefer to do creative things, sketching, woodwork etc
thinking of looking at further education but don't think i can afford it at the moment

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
All I can do is suggest a book. It's called "The law of success" by Napoleons Hill. It gave me direction in life and lit many fires in my mind.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Go the old fashioned route, apprentice yourself to a master craftsman. You can learn the trade first hand, get valuable practice, build up your resume.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Where are you with your education? It's hard to get a good job with purpose or decent pay without some sort of degree. Perhaps you could start taking classes at community college and just work for your AA. I think quite a few people have no real idea what to do, but working for that AA will expose you to some things and maybe give you some idea.

At the very least you'll be going in a forward direction and have more opportunities open to you. You might just take a liking to something, get fired up about it and find your calling.

top topics

join