It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally heard the voices in my head.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by phyllida
Aural hallucinations are very very common. I myself have them from time to time. Initially when they started many years ago, I was worried. I used to hear not so much voices but mainly sounds, alarms going off, dogs barking, the doorbell ringing but when I checked of course there was nothing. Once I heard champagne corks popping and the muffled sounds of a party!

Yeah I hear similar things when falling asleep, I think it depends how in sync we are with the astral world, I know I don't 'try' to be more in sync at all, it's random for me, the other month I was falling asleep and I could clearly hear what sounded like a busy room full of noises, like a traffic stop mixed with a circus mixed with a common sounds, animals, grocery store, etc, I consider it the generic white noise sound of the astral plane, a very noisy place, I only hear it from time to time, one time I believe I heard an electric guitar being played somewhat clearly among other noises

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Alotta schizo's posting on here...... Interesting...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

Not everyone who hears things are schitzo

2nd

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Please don't assume that everyone who hears voices or other sounds is schizophrenic. Also in the cases of "auditory hallucinations" just before falling asleep, it's not actually classified as a hallucination, my doctor constantly corrected me when I used that term. It is an event where you're mind slips into a dream state before actually falling asleep which is completely different brain activity than that which produces actual hallucinations. At least that's what the medical and psychiatric professionals tell me, I know this because I was so afraid I was losing my mind I ran straight to doctor every time it happened lol!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

2nd

Not everyone but I've read quite a few post that seem a lil more intense that the average non-ordinary voice in the head.... Everyone hears voices tho, I think its a brain malfunction

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
One time when I was driving down my hometown road I came to a deep curve. Before reaching it a voice in my head told me to STOP! I jumped from being surprised and wondered if I really heard that, or was I losing my sanity?
Then it said in a very demanding voice, "Pull off the road as far as you can and STOP!"
I was afraid NOT to obey this demanding voice, so I pulled over in the grass beside the road as far as I could and stopped. In about two seconds a big dump truck came around the curve on my side of the road! If I hadn't pulled over it would have hit me head on, and probably killed me.
I was shocked and had to find the nearest place to pull over and compose myself. It was undoubtedly my spirit guide.

Ditto. Only my experience was standing next to my truck about to get in and a semi with trailer cut the corner and the back wheels were heading straight for me. I stood transfixed watching my death come at me when I clearly and distinctly heard a voice outside my head yell,"Run!" That was it and it was enough. Otherwise I would have been destroyed along with my truck.

I've had other instances when I would hear someone call my name VERY loud when I was alone, and other times someone would yell, "Mama!" very loud. No one was there!

Same here, only the place I heard my name called was haunted and the spirit I found out was a woman that died there. The voice was female and it didn't yell. It just said my name.

Both times these "voices" were clear as if someone in the room was talking to you. Only nobody was there. I attribute the first one to some kind of guardian as well. I lean towards family ancestors. Other times there have been interventions that saved my life but there was no voice.
edit on 24-10-2012 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

What made you think it was "Russian"? Why Russian? Just wondering...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Good question and all I have to base that off of is what I have seen/heard on T.V. and in movies.
The same way in which I don't speak Spanish but I promise you that I could pick a Mexican voice speaking Spanish out of a hundred other audio samples.

Thanks for all of the input and honest questions everyone.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
One time when I was driving down my hometown road I came to a deep curve. Before reaching it a voice in my head told me to STOP! I jumped from being surprised and wondered if I really heard that, or was I losing my sanity?
Then it said in a very demanding voice, "Pull off the road as far as you can and STOP!"
I was afraid NOT to obey this demanding voice, so I pulled over in the grass beside the road as far as I could and stopped. In about two seconds a big dump truck came around the curve on my side of the road! If I hadn't pulled over it would have hit me head on, and probably killed me.
I was shocked and had to find the nearest place to pull over and compose myself. It was undoubtedly my spirit guide.

I've had other instances when I would hear someone call my name VERY loud when I was alone, and other times someone would yell, "Mama!" very loud. No one was there!

I'm sorry but WHAT!?!?!

That is an AMAZING story!
I would have been floored!!
I mean, talk about 100% confirmation that YOU ARE NEVER ALONE!!
and you have someone/s watching over you at all times!!!

Kinda comforting no?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

2nd

Not everyone but I've read quite a few post that seem a lil more intense that the average non-ordinary voice in the head.... Everyone hears voices tho, I think its a brain malfunction
Why be so dismissive? I for one proposed my odd experience was perhaps technological in nature. I didn't just pull that out of my hat. There are plenty of threads on ATS that discuss KNOWN technology for sending audio signals directly to people in a "voices in your head" kind of way, as described in this article for example: advertisingindustrynewswire.com...

Granted, I had a visual experience accompany the audio one. That does muddy the speculation a bit. It could have been an electronically induced hallucination. Given the kind of high level intelligence agency work that goes on where I live, it's not farfetched to speculate that I may have come across a glitch in a new communications or broadcast technology test. I'm Jo Nobody and I'm sure no harm or foul was meant and whatever tech they were testing was likely in its infancy and not aimed at me personally at all. Back when this happened I had a neighbor whose job I always wondered about, maybe it was for the neighbor. Who knows. I personally do not care except as an interesting anecdote I talk about only here on ATS.

I'm of course still open to the possibility it was some sort of hallucination. But it woke me up from a normal sleep state and lasted long enough for me to observe it in a waking state. So I think it is a less likely scenario. But it definitely was NOT mental illness. If it is, I must have a very rare form that allows me to retain my sense of humor, my analytical skills, my social life, and lead a productive life overall.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm having difficulty editing my post above. By "dismissive" I meant why be dismissive of possiblities beyond mental illness when other possible explanations could be reasonably entertained?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I post this, not to see if anyone can offer me an explination cuz I'm pretty sure there isn't one.
At least not one that I am going to be able wrap my mind around.

Well yah there has to be, don't you think?
Was the TV on?
You did say that you were lying down to go back to sleep and had the buzz that presages an OBE... then this.
Have you ever channeled before or done any remote viewing? Could be you picked up on some distant event as it occurred.
Could be you are concerned about tomorrows induced labor... best wishes on that.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Hey Screwed, I've never heard voices that didn't come from someone's mouth, however...

Twice so far in my life (recent years), I have had what can only be described as an abrupt, loud, descending tone (in my mind) interrupt my sleep. Both times were terrifying experiences, and while I can only logically attribute it to a 'brain glitch', I have not been able to find anyone that's had an experience comparable to mine.

The feeling I got when it happened to me both times was absolutely not good.
Now I've got to read the three pages of this thread...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

I've had this experience 3 distinct times in my life:

1 I was about 10 years old sleeping in one room with the rest of my family with the air conditioner ( we were remodeling) and I heard a marching band - clear as day - in the middle of the night.

2 In about 1988, a voice said "I am the Lord, your God" - I was wide awake, a psychiatrist I was working for was talking about the "rapture" which I don't believe in, happening that next day (I'm a psychiatric nurse) I was at home and wide awake. I am christian and I do believe in the biblical God.

3 About a month ago, I was awoken by a voice that said "Wake up" at 3:15 am, that freaked me out.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am sure the mods will help a brother out here if it is.

I have heard the stories and read the threads about it. I have marveled at what it must be like to actually audibly hear something that was only in your head. I have heard my own voice before in my head as we all do when we are thinking about something. But it really isn't "audible". It is more like just a thought of what our voice sounds like.

Last night I woke up from a terrible dream which I rarely, if ever, have.
I was lying there awake when I decided to check to see what time it was.
I went to bed extra early. As many of you know, I stay up pretty late debating with you all. Normally until about 2 or sometimes 3 am. Last night I went to bed extra early, at Midnight. When I checked the clock on my phone it was 3:00 am. I got up to pee and laid back down.

I only mention all of these boring details because I know someone is going to say "maybe you were sleeping and only thought you were awake". NO, I even woke my wife up when I flushed the toilet. I was awake.

When I lay back down, I was laying there for maybe a minute or two thinking to myself "wow, I really need to fall asleep, I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow" (Wife getting induced, baby on the way, it's ok she is asleep now, I am not neglecting her,lol)

The Meat of the story

In my head there was a distinctand sharp buzzing sound, which I am familiar with from having astral projected many times in my life, but instead of leaving my body, I saw a bright white flash of light and then heard some dude talking in what sounded to me like Russian. It was frustrating to be sure because I couldn't make out a damn thing he was saying but when I tell you I heard him, I mean I HEARD him. Loud and clear as if he were sitting right next to me.

The very FIRST thing I thought was "Ok, are you sure you're not dreaming"? All I can say is that I was AS sure THEN as I am now. No more, no less.

There is no real end to the story, no real cliff hanger.
This was it.

I post this, not to see if anyone can offer me an explination cuz I'm pretty sure there isn't one.
At least not one that I am going to be able wrap my mind around.

I want to know how many other people have had this or sometihng similar happen to them.
I read a thread recently which discussed something similar and plan on adding to that thread as well.
All I can say is that this is Friggin bizzare and I kinda hope it doesn't happen again because I don't know what to do with it. I definately feel crazy and wouldn't dare mention this to a therapist,

edit on 23-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

Congratulations! You have managed to induce a negative, schizophrenic experience. What a hero you are! Play too much with that and you'll be (your name) lol!
edit on 25-10-2012 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

2nd

There are several classifications of schizotypes.
Schizotypy for instance.

Note; Schizotypy isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing.
There is such a state as "Healthy" Schizotypy:

Although aiming to reflect some of the features present in diagnosable mental illness, schizotypy does not necessarily imply that someone who is more schizotypal than someone else is more ill. For example, certain aspects of schizotypy may be beneficial. Both the Unusual experiences and Cognitive disorganisation aspects have been linked to Creativity and academic achievement. Jackson proposed the concept of ‘benign schizotypy’ in relation to certain classes of religious experience, which he suggested might be regarded as a form of problem-solving and therefore of adaptive value. The link between positive schizotypy and certain facets of creativity is consistent with the notion of a "healthy schizotypy", which may account for the persistence of schizophrenia-related genes in the population despite their many dysfunctional aspects.

I encourage those unfamiliar with, or biased against Psychological classifications to educate yourselves.
"Crazy" is not a clinical designation, but a societal perception.

Schizotypy in some ways, considering the creative aspects associated with healthy subjects, could be like having Synesthesia which is actually quite a wonderful and fascinating condition.

Thus, it's very possible a schizotype like Schizotypal Personality Disorder, and even Schizophenia may be involved. There are orders of magnitudes to these with high functioning subjects, and as described above 'healthy' Schizotypy.

The magical thinking pursued and admitted by OP regarding OBE and such would point to common Schizotypy, but, this isn't a diagnosis, just an informed observation.

If OP or anyone is curious, there are free clinics that offer clinical interviews that may give a more focused diagnosis. This can also be done with any physician one feels comfortable with, usually referred by your GP.
There are some genetic markers that do indeed present for Schizophrenia if one wants to go that route as far as testing goes.

Most people, unless conditions interfere with their lives, are happy to stay blissfully ignorant, many even attaching religious, or some sort of metaphysical attribution to their conditions.
To each their own.

edit on 25-10-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I hate that buzzing sound that occurs right before you fall into that frame of sleep where you feel you get pulled off of the bed. That's the worst.
I've also heard 'foreign' voices- not my own- sometimes. I always discounted it as being things I'd heard in waking life, and some sort of weird brain spark would set it off.
The most memorable voice I heard was a guy with a German accent proclaiming loudly, "I have an irritable bowel!"
Which woke me up laughing, It's not something someone shouts at the top of their lungs.

edit on 25-10-2012 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Fascinating. Well then, by those standards I suppose it IS possible to have a mental illness along a spectrum and still live a normal life (if participating on ATS can still be considered "normal"). I read a few links from that article and unfortunately OBE's are entirely dismissed by mental health experts as hallucinations. Now THAT I can not agree with completely because in my own personal experience I was seen by a witness as having "materialized" where I indeed experienced traveling to out of body. If they are going to discount all unusual experiences as glitches of the mind then I question the validity of the standards they use to judge mental health.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reminds me when I was just waking up, and someone yelled in my EAR loud and clear,
GET OUT(I live alone). Left my ear ringing a good 30 mins or so, off to work, was very annoyed when that happened.
First time that happened with 10 years living in this crummy apartment, I like it though, close to work and
rent is really cheap as well, considering mental people killed themselves in some of these apts, dont know about
mine but dont care; rent is cheap ^-^, there was another weird occurence as well, thought was creepy rather not get
into it. My cat seems to go crazy from time to time. Nothing weird yet, everything is fine and dandy.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by Druscilla

Fascinating. Well then, by those standards I suppose it IS possible to have a mental illness along a spectrum and still live a normal life (if participating on ATS can still be considered "normal"). I read a few links from that article and unfortunately OBE's are entirely dismissed by mental health experts as hallucinations. Now THAT I can not agree with completely because in my own personal experience I was seen by a witness as having "materialized" where I indeed experienced traveling to out of body. If they are going to discount all unusual experiences as glitches of the mind then I question the validity of the standards they use to judge mental health.

OBEs, space alien abductions, religious experiences, and many other sorts of 'enlightening' hug your rainbow crystal metaphysical, third eye, woo woo stuff can all be reliably and predictably reproduced in the lab.

They are indeed tricks of the brain. The brain is really super fascinating like that.
Absolutely everything you experience; awake, asleep, or any state of so-called altered consciousness is all experienced through the brain.

Never underestimate the power of what your brain can fool or trick you into believing.

As far as people saying they saw you on one of your OBEs; what's the chances of them enabling you through the old smile and nod compared to it really actually happening?

All these things can reliably and predictably be reproduced in a lab setting under controlled conditions where anything seen and experienced is an entirely subjective experience of the subject going absolutely nowhere but the wonderful universe tattoo'd on the inside of their skull.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join