It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Reverend gives gay rights speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

If you agree with this man you're a scholar, a gentleman and a true American.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I was getting more and more angry the more he spoke lol that is until he made his point,
i applaud the man for using that style to present this argument, its the same style i use
when trying to point out that its just completely unfounded nonsense to deny anyone equal
rights......

We cannot allow religion to dictate laws as it is simply incapable of being truly honest.
If one were honest then its simply not possible to deny those around you rights, as ive
pointed out more than once, if we were to start a campaign to revoke religious peoples
right to unions because of their religion then all heck would break loose, yet they somehow
think its ok to do this to other people.

also the argument they always use "how will i explain to my child about gay people" or
a variant thereof is the most insane statement ever, its called be honest with them just
like you should be, tell them what you believe says its wrong, however there are those
who don't agree with what we believe and its not our place to judge or punish them.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I wasn't going to watch the whole video until I read the first response. It was making me feel so tense and angry listening to that. I was also making me feel a bit embarrassed thinking that the fellow and I were from the same region. But, he ended up sharing the same argument that I would make. Kudos for finding the clip. Thanks OP.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I would totally high five that dude

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I don't know why they call it 'gay rights' they should just call it 'same rights'. The same right to marry whom we please, to adopt, to be able to donate blood, to be able to be a scout leader. (don't really care about that one)

My opinion on gay marriage is yes it has a religous aspect but those are the days of old, government got involved in marriage and to be in a marriage you have to get a marriage CONTRACT from the government, then you have your wedding where you please, sometimes in a church, sometimes not. If you don't believe gays should be aloud to marry then get government out of marriage altogether, you can't deny someone the benefits of marriage and still receive yours. I don't see how the government can legally tell 2 people they can't get married and the other 2 that they can. Marriage isn't just a religious institution anymore.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It's so confusing to me. In this country we have people who believe in a separation of church and state, yet they want their president to believe in God, and these people look at Saudi Arabia and Iran as backwards and frightening societies because the religious rules of Islam are the laws of those countries (no separation of church and state)

So why do these people support religious rules as the basis for some laws in this country? Gay people cannot legally mary because of some people's interpretation of a couple bible passages? That's insanity. People in this country are insane.

A religious definition of marriage has no place in the government's definition of a recognizable marriage. There are Christian churches willing to do gay marriages so what is the issue? You don't have to attend those churches. Live and let live.

This preacher made a very good point. In time people will realize what they are doing is wrong.
edit on 10/20/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Every successful civilization had no moral absolutes. There are literally hundreds of exmples of civilizations who have thived for thousands of years doing whatever they pleased.

Wait...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's nice to see a preacher who can see that the Bible has always been a fall back for what society hates.

And who can put his own views aside to let people be people.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Very cool - he really had me going there for a minute. Perfect way to point out the dangers of fundamentalists using the Bible and religion to justify their fear and hatred of others. This guy is obviously a TRUE Christian.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
DAAAAMN!!!
Dude totally pulled it out at the last second and bitch slapped every insecure, unsure, closet homophobe, fag hating, self loathing, ignorant bible thumpin Christian upside the head with a healthy dose of truth.
Kinda hard to argue with his stance.....unless you're "one of them".

The reason this will fall on deaf ears with "them" is because it is very hard for people to be honest with themselves much less other people. After all, how CAN you be honest with others if you are not first honest with yourself?

If they were honest with themselves, (and by "they" I mean people who would deny ANYONE basic human rights that are afforded to everyone else) they would see that deep deep down in the far dark corners of their soul there is insecurity, fear, and hate!

They HATE GAYS for sure but, they'll NEVER admit it and that isn't the root of it.
They HATE black people for sure but, they'll NEVER admit it and that still isn't the root of it.
They HATE non CHRISTIANS but they'll NEVER admit it, but that stil isn't the root of it.

No, deep down inside, all of that hate which they NEVER admit to stems from the ultimate form of hatred.
The Hatred of Self.

They HATE themselves and that bubbles forth and reveals itself in many many ways.
It is always easy to spot someone who hates themselves but is is incredibly difficult to come to terms with the idea that you might be one.

I wish I could high five this guy but then, his hand is probably sore from that giant smackdown he just served up.

Good for him, good for the gay community, and good for you OP for bringing this to ATS.

edit on 20-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I agree with the point, like the idea of the speech and think a good comparison was made but was ultimately pretty unimpressed with the thing. The 'surprise' ending wasn't, and frankly it seemed like something an 8th grader would cook up. 'The dictionary defines...'

I'm glad to see it's getting people's attention, but ugh I wish someone with a little charisma had been the speaker.
Boring the audience and then having a very boring epiphany does not a good speech make.

Good find though OP. I think if i had gone into it thinking the guy wasn't going to be pro gay it would have had more of an impact on me.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
It's nice to see a preacher who can see that the Bible has always been a fall back for what society hates.

And who can put his own views aside to let people be people.

It's the last thing that he's doing. He's not telling the truth, but because you can't discern that, it appears all good. Not once does he tell you that rampant homosexuality and lesbianism (amongst many other behaviours) is a clear sign of reprobation and judgement. That reprobatie mind then goes out and forces others to accept the behaviour. It will not only promote it, but will condemn all who refuse to acknowledge it as "normal". Whether or not you agree with the words of scripture is mute in my argument - he is not telling the truth according to scripture and you are unable to discern it. That is the danger. That is how the son of perdition will be accepted by the world - because they reject the truth an instead accept the lie. That lie will prey upon peace, security, love and tolerance according to the definitions already given by the beast. He is doing no differently.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The guy seemed kosher enough at the start of the arguement and then he troll faced at the end.

top topics

join