It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight Students Arrested in Bullying Investigation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

No it isn't. People do not have the right to harass someone and make their life a living hell in school.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I did admit that in the pathological cases, in which a certain bullier couldn't be compelled to desist bullying - even via suspensions, or even in expulsions - than the police could be called in. But to go straight to the police before recourse to threats of suspension or expulsion, is not only making bad use of government, but also wasting the polices time.

Teachers cannot control someone bullying others. Most teachers aren't even aware it is happening.

Certainly teachers can do more. In my own experience, I have seen how indolent they can become. Frankly, teachers need to be more authoritarian with their students, which many teachers simply do not have the self-confidence to do.

Telling on the bully will just make the bullying worse in most cases. A detention isn't anything, kids aren't going to stop because of school discipline.

Then we need stricter policies towards bullying. A three strike and your out rule. As in, your expelled.

Don't you think that would suffice in leading to a significant drop in bullying?

Not necessarily, bullies can have a normal home life. It's really just a personality trait. Some people are just jerks and prey on the weak. I have no sympathy for them.

I beg to disagree.

Some of the most persistent bullies are kids with a dysfunctional home life. That's a fact.

Also, other kids prone to becoming bullies are those with some noticeable 'defect', whether they're very overweight, or not very good looking.

Of course, there are those you dogmatically claim are a 'personality' type, as if they were doomed to be bullies upon birth, but these types are rare and might even be sociopaths.

The VAST majority are simply acting out against life. They're dealing with something in their own lives which they 'project' upon some weaker personality, which brings some sort of relief.

edit on 20-10-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Those are some interesting videos. I see what you are saying. However, I think the reason that people you know who are overweight and are not getting enough nutrients isn't due to metabolism, it is because they are eating the wrong food.

You could just eat fast food and candy your whole life and you would be overweight and not have enough nutrients. That doesn't mean its not selfish and irresponsible.

Not only is it a waste of food, but it also a waste of health care due to all the health problems associated with it.

Obviously I am not talking about people who are slightly overweight due to metabolism. I am more referring the people who just slobishly stuff their face to appease there desire to taste something.

(Yes I know "slobishly" is not a word, but it just fit so well
)

Edit: I also have a sneaking suspicion that the rate at which you eat your food affects how much weight you gain. For example, I eat very fast ( I prefer my food hot and fresh ) and I don't gain as much weight. Perhaps you should tell your mother to try to get in the habit of eating more quickly, it could help a lot. Also multivitamins are a good way to fill the gap that the diet they are on doesn't cover. That and it could possibly reduce the risk of cancer by 8-14%. Btw I am only trying to help, not be rude. Seriously though, eating quickly is worth a try.
edit on 20-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

I beg to disagree.

Some of the most persistent bullies are kids with a dysfunctional home life. That's a fact.

Also, other kids prone to becoming bullies are those with some noticeable 'defect', whether they're very overweight, or not very good looking.

Of course, there are those you dogmatically claim are a 'personality' type, as if they were doomed to be bullies upon birth, but these types are rare and might even be sociopaths.

The VAST majority are simply acting out against life. They're dealing with something in their own lives which they 'project' upon some weaker personality, which brings some sort of relief.

I completely agree, nobody is just born with a personality trait that makes them a bully. It is entirely developmental, I like to have the "Tabula Rasa" mind-set (blank slate). I believe that all people are born a human being and they become whoever they are from the experiences they encounter during their lives.

For example: Hitler was born a perfectly normal baby boy, he became the monster he was from all of the anti-semetic teachings of the time, coupled with the horrible living conditions in Germany after WWI. He saw his people suffering and the schools he went to taught him to blame it on "the jews".

"I wasn't born Richard Alpert, I was just born as a human being, and then I learned this whole business of who I am and whether I'm good or bad or achieving or not, all that's learned along the way.

Edit: Though I disagree that the victims always have some noticeable "defect". Often the bullies do it because they are threatened by someones intelligence, skills, or appearance. Also, rarely is the victim of bullying "weaker", if anything they are stronger.

edit on 20-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
This Anti-bullying crap is going too far.

When are kids going to learn how to stand up for themsleves? What are they going to do when they are out in the "real world" and someone starts in on them?. Call their mommies?

Kids need to learn how to stand up for themsleves. That's what I was taught. I was picked on (they call it "bullying" now). I finally got so sick of it I snapped and decked the guy and we got into a big fight. The coach had to separate us. They put me me into a differnt PE class. I was NEVER picked on again. Ever. At the very least, the kids who liked to do the bullying knew that they, at least for a moment, would pay with a punch to the face. In the case of my fight, it was a track cleat to the face. That's what I hit him with.

We're raising a nation of pussies who won't defend themselves. No wonder we let the government push us around. We're busy looking for our mommies to save us.

I wore glasses as a kid. I also spent my lunchtimes drawing pictures.

I loved to draw.

There was this one kid who used to come and rip up my drawings, and call me names.
He ended up punching me in the face one day, breaking my glasses. I didn't hit him back. I simply told a teacher and he had to apologize in front of the school at assembly.

You see, I was taught not to go down to their level.

If I hit him, I'd have that on my record.

In high school, in my first year, it happened again. There was this one kid two years ahead of me that thought it would be funny to push around the kid who drew pictures, the kid who didn't fight back.

Eventually, when I had enough, I told a teacher and he ended up getting suspended.

Two weeks later he tried to start a fight with me because I got him suspended. He hit me a few times, but I just told him that I wasn't going to fight.

He got expelled and I kept my clean record.

Bullies are weak individuals who usually do it for a bit of fun.

Any of you who try to defend them haven't been on the receiving end.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
As a teacher, I can tell you most bullying goes unnoticed unless the bullied brings it to the attention of a teacher or administrator. There's a reason why some students get away with bullying...

1. Snitching on someone who is bullying can cause the person who has snitched to be bullied. There's a secret code among students today, you don't snitch on anyone.

2. The bullied doesn't want to come across as a cry baby. So they would rather continue to keep it a secret than to appear weak in front of their peers.

3. Bullies will always antagonize and physically assault someone in secluded areas, in stairways, bathrooms, on the walk home, and in hallways and classrooms away from the view of teachers or administrators.

I know with me and other teachers in our high school, we tell students on the first day that bullying isn't tolerated. To those who are bullied, they are told to report the first incident to an administrator or their classroom teacher. I have gone a step further and told students if they see anyone being bullied, they can see me after class and report it, so other students don't know who turned them in. I've also told them they can write me a note and slide it on my desk to let me know who is bullying who. They don't need to sign their name if they want to remain anonymous. This has worked well in my classroom.

I always have to keep a careful watch on the students who have learning disabilities in my lab. They're the students who are mostly targeted by bullies. Bullies are always looking for the weak and vulnerable. They think it makes them look tough in front of their peers.

I think it's more prevalent today than when I went to school because of Facebook and other social internet sites where kids can be mean without physically being face to face.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

The judgement comes from the people who take issue with calling a thing a thing...they are the ones who are attaching a judgement to a descriptor...they are the ones who think being called fat is the same as being called a bad person...this type of thought is out of control...its why people think its bordering on racism to call a black man black...

Great point. One that should be highlighted. I still chuckle every time I hear someone get called skinny, being that it doesn't carry the same negative connotation that fat does, people ignore it. Start throwing the word 'fat' around to describe people and suddenly everyone is offended.

News flash though, both are just descriptive words. 500 years ago it would have been chic to be fat because of food shortages. Now because it's not the 'in' thing, suddenly it's bad.

People make very little sense sometimes...
edit on 20-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here's an article to add to the discussion:

While it may look good for young Quebec NDP MP Dany Morin to claim that he to was bullied in school, and to demand the Commons strike a committee to take an in-depth look at bullying, there is no political way to stop the next Greg Doucette, or Amanda Todd, from being victimized into killing themselves.

Teaching our children well is where the path begins, and it starts in our homes and schools, not in some Commons committee.

www.torontosun.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I believe some part of our temperament and personality is based on genetics. Have seen it in my own family. No way am I buying the 'blank slate'-at-birth hypothesis. Also, 'bullying' is a broad term.. it doesn't necessarily mean someone who displays violence and/or sociopathic tendencies. Even 'good' people can exhibit 'bullying'-type behavior. In kids you can see 'bullying' start in the very young when placed with other children. It's natural behavior that can go from mild to extreme, in children or adults, but it's natural, and I think that should be obvious by now. You can see examples of mild 'bullying' all over ATS at any given time.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by 3chainz

It's actually a violation of the right to free speech to put someone in jail for something they say.

not true, and a common misconception. we are protected from libel and slander, fraud and hate speech and many other examples. the punishment is usually a fine or comminity service, but I bet there are examples of jail time being given

another common misconception is that bullying is name calling. it comes in many forms of abuse, and physical is very common

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join