It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight Students Arrested in Bullying Investigation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Eight Ontario high schools students arrested in bullying investigation

LONDON, Ont. - Eight high school students have been arrested and charged with criminal harassment following a police investigation into a bullying case at a school in southwestern Ontario.

--

Bill Tucker, the board's director of education, said the school and police, were made aware of the allegations a week ago after receiving more than half dozen tips from students, staff and community members.

Many of the tips had come in anonymously from the school's web portal.

Tucker said as a result, the school immediately took swift action to "monitor" the safety of the alleged victim.

--

The arrests came as several schools and groups prepared to pay tribute to bullying victims, including a British Columbia teen who committed suicide after enduring years of Internet sexual exploitation and torment by her peers.

Read more: www.theprovince.com...

Police have arrested a bunch of kids from a high school and charged them with criminal harassment in the wake of a few other high profile bullying cases, as well, this month being "bullying awareness" month (or some other nonsense).

The issue I have with it all, is that it seems media and authorities are capitalizing off an "awareness" campaign, and failing to address underlying issues that cause bullying, not to mention, wholly ignoring the issue when it doesn't fall into a month that is deemed to deal with said issue.

Some of the high profile cases that have garnered attention recently were:

News anchor reacts to being "bullied" on air.
blog.zap2it.com...

In this case, the news anchor received an email from a viewer which said:

It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

This email was sent to an email address which solicited comments and question from public viewers. The page that has the contact information for the news show, as well as a description, etc. has since been taken down.

Her husband who also works at the news station was the one to post the email publicly on the news stations facebook page, which sparked her 4 minute rant on air and sparked a bullying debate.

Since this has happened, Jennifer Livingston (the news anchor) has since appeared on the Ellen show, and was given a trip to the Caribbean from Ellen.*

1. The comments were solicited, as most media outlets do the same.

2. Are we to believe this is the only negative piece of mail a media personality has received? Why does it deserve on air time? If every media personality spent time addressing hate mail, there would be no news.

-This was a major breach of journalistic integrity. The use of news time to address a personal issue which came from a private email (made public by her and her husband) is a huge disservice to all parties involved and all viewers who watched it. It does not give both sides to the story and in her arrogant rebuttal which used a public dissemination vehicle (the news) she capitalized on her influence and power, to publicly bash someone who sent her a private email.

3. Bullying is done publicly, humiliating or demoralizing the victim, and in very rare cases without an audience. The letter sent to her was not bullying, and if anything, her reaction and behaviour was more akin to bullying...

4. She set her own kids up at school to be targets for bullying by bringing a personal issue to public spotlight in an unprofessional way.

-

Amanda Todd, a young girl takes her life after being bullied.

Extremely depressing story this one, now receiving tons of media attention. Unfortunately, the girl did not receive constructive attention before her death. There were many red flags in her case, even police involvement, and nothing was resolved.

Now that she has passed, and it's anti-bullying month, suddenly her story is important to people.

This is bad taste in my opinion. If you didn't care, or like someone when they were alive, you can't claim moral indignation when they are dead.

When genocides are happening, people say, "Oh yea, heard it was bad over there..." and shrug their shoulders, and when it's over, then people pop up claiming they want justice, or that they give a damn. Think Darfur. If you don't do anything to impede, stop, or eliminate some type of injustice in the world, be it small or large, don't claim you care after it's over... IMO.

-

Father mocks girl with cerebral palsy

Here's another that got attention, a father of a child from a rival family, seemingly mocking a girl with cerebral palsy. The family of the girl with the condition came on news crying about how their child was being bullied by the other dad.

Now, I'm not agreeing or condoning that type of behaviour... BUT, the two families have a feud going on. And in their failure to mitigate the issues between the families, they have both spread their problems unto the kids. The adults in this case I say are first to blame, because they let their petty squabbles turn into their child's problems. And I say both sets of parents, from both sides, no matter the outcome. The children shouldn't be fighting the parents' battles.

My opinion?

If we are to start criminalizing children at an early age without taking a look at the causes of the issues, we are making early martyrs out of people who haven't fully developed, and haven't had the life lessons that will change them into more positive people.

If this issue is only addressed during political campaigns designed to garner attention, the problem will never be solved and instead, a select few will suffer from politics.

Not all bullying victims are innocent. As I kid, I myself was bullied, it took me a while to figure out why it was happening but it basically boiled down to attitude problems which I addressed. And even though people think it's because they are fat, gay, black, blue, or some other issue they can't address, usually it is something much more simple, and those attributes are only exploited because people are self conscience about them.

Self esteem is the first thing to combat bullying, and in my opinion, the first thing that should be addressed. Finding ways to build confidence in children and adults should be the front line in bullying defence, in my opinion.

ETA:

I should not that self-confidence and self worth needs to be addressed to both people who feel they are being bullied, as well as the ones doing the bullying. As the behaviour is a symptom of something else.
edit on 19-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Sometimes bullying is a reflection of what goes on at home. Remember these scenes?

Here he is explaining what he did to earn detention:

Seems funny, right?

Then he goes on to explain what was going on at home and why he did it:

Sorry, I don't think it's just a matter of "self esteem." Sometimes kids are bullies because that is the way they are raised. Yes, sometimes it's the parents fault.

Having had a child who was horrifically bullied at school, I think you assessment sucks. He went to school and minded his own business but was picked on in an unrelenting way. Why, he was extremely small for his age. So much so that he was locker stuffed on a daily basis while he was in High School.

I am happy that there is an awareness month about this issue. My son being bullied at school nearly ruined his life!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well Boncho...How can I agree more?

The fact is and has always been that kids can be the cruelest creatures on Earth when in school peer groups, sports teams etc. They are at an age when they are testing themselves to discover their place in the pecking order of things. It's always been that way since humans have roamed this Earth. And the animal kingdom as well.

Can anything be done about it? I have my doubts as it's in our nature.

Not condoning but just placing an observation.

ETA: I was also bullied in my first school. How did it stop? After we moved and I transferred to a new school I found that school's bully and went nuts on him not caring if I lost or what the consequences might be.

I won...Never to be bullied again.

After that I became sort of a reverse bully I guess. I punched out anyone who picked on kids. I hated seeing someone being a target.

Peace

edit on 19-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It's been a year two since I was in a school with grades, so I don't know what has changed. However, I'm all for this push back against bullying because something sure as heck HAS changed in how this happens compared to what I saw and was a part of from both sides, growing up. Kids weren't killing themselves frequently enough to call it a national problem to address. Kids also weren't killing each other so casually in some cities, you'd think life was free.

Nothing like this can or will ever end bullying as was discussed on another thread recently. If it can reduce it while doing the other things you talk about as well, what can the effort hurt? One kid saved from the experiences pushing some to suicide is worth all the efforts I've seen taken on this so far.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I don't like to see the big guys picking on the little guys you know what i mean..
The parents can take some rsponsibility.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The problem is that bullying leads to more severe events and it should not be tolerated. I fully believe bullying should be a punishable crime. When these sad, pathetic, human beings bully a kid it is not because there is something wrong with the victim. It is because the bullies bad people, plain and simple. Pure evil is what I observed in the bullying front.

People wonder why crap like columbine happens. There is no place for bullying in our educational system and it should not be allowed at all. Bullying is a disgusting result of the sad popularity contest that is high school. Sure a better effort toward educating these children so they will be more understanding wouldnt hurt.

On the case of the "bullied" newscaster, the person who sent the email is kinda right. They didnt seem to be rude in any way with their email. Just voicing there opinion that being obese is not setting a good example. Obesity probably causes the most health problems in this country, not to mention it is selfish and irresponsible to eat that much food when children die every day from starvation.

Just sad.

Edit: The reason I am so passionate about the obesity issue is because I suffer from hunger problems myself. I am 6'1" and I weigh 125 pounds. So when I see people just engorging themselves, and children starving, I can really relate to how horrible it is to not have enough to eat.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Also I completly disagree with your statement that it is sometimes the victims fault. Even if you had a attitude issue that doesnt mean anyone has any right to bully you. Its F-ing disgusting and sad. The victim is just that, THE VICTIM!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree completely 100%...well said...the bully issue has the wrong people in its sights...and the absolute lack of self control and level hotheadedness by parents and the media is going to get legislation passed that turns criticism into a crime...and political correctness will take a whole new level of authority on people...we will all either be obligatory nice liars or criminals...what a beautiful future to live in eh?

The first thing needing to be addressed is support for the victims of bullies..they need the confidence to stand up to them on their own and they get that confidence through being validated...if more people are validating someone than belittling them...confidence builds and suddenly...words are back to being simply words...

When I was a kid...it was "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me"...somehow today with the help of the media exploiting parents and children in an emotional fervor its "Words can kill"....and up pops a picture of someone who killed themselves that everyone could care less about a week ago....

Its absolute insanity how people are wanting to address the bullying issue...no logic..no rational..no level headed forethought...just overemotional shoot from the hip reactions that will end up turning kids into criminals before they ever had a chance at anything else...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
S&F for you, sir.

You had me locked-in up until the self-esteem part. I think that the self-esteem of our children is a major cause of many of the social issues that arise in that school-age group. However, I don't think it is a lack of self-esteem. On the contrary, I believe that our children have an inflated view of their self-importance cultivated and nurtured by willing parents who don't ask the children take on any responsibilities, give them nearly unfettered access to the internet, and generally let them call the shots resulting in a clear and obvious narcissism.

Childhood obesity is on the rise. So is adult obesity. The parents don’t want to tell their kids not to eat and live a certain way because they feel hypocritical. Well, I smoke. And I’ll smack the face clean off my kids if I catch them smoking. Why? They are my kids, damn it.

France wants to ban homework. That should help the situation. Now in Canada there is a “suggestion” that teachers not write much if anything on the children’s report cards. Who needs accountability?

I don’t know where I’m going and I’m getting scattered. Sorry.
Good post.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Kinda funny that you said that. Because the like 15 or so kids that were bullies at my school all turned out to be delinquent criminals.

hmmmmmm....... Coincidence? I think not. Bullying is evil, pure and simple.

link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283
reply to post by boncho

Also I completly disagree with your statement that it is sometimes the victims fault. Even if you had a attitude issue that doesnt mean anyone has any right to bully you. Its F-ing disgusting and sad. The victim is just that, THE VICTIM!!

in most cases its all about who claims to be the victim first...if someone has a bad attitude...is rude, constantly disrespectful even on the fundamental levels...then they are just as easily a bully as the person that responds to that behavior...

in which case its all about who is more sensitive and claim victim-hood first...Just like in domestic disputes whoever didn't call the cops first is usually the one going to jail...they assume whoever called the cops is the "victim" right from the get go...

people need to accept the fact people AREN'T GOING TO LIKE YOU...and if people don't like you...that doesn't make you a victim...Were teaching our children that being nice is law...and if someone isn't nice to you...you are a victim...its absolutely absurd. You think kids are weak now? Wait till you teach them criticism is a crime...

link   

edit on 19-10-2012 by Philodemus because: sorry. double post somehow.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

Kinda funny that you said that. Because the like 15 or so kids that were bullies at my school all turned out to be delinquent criminals.

Why don't you go right ahead and define "bullying" then for me...just so I know where you are at with it...because I don't think people are really on the same page with what bullying is...

some people think its anyone who criticizes you at all ever...they are a bully...

some people think its someone who dunks your head in the toilet at school...which is infringement on someones rights consequently also an assault and there is already a law making that a crime...

the people I am afraid of...are the ones that are going to get "meanies" labeled as criminals...at which point...I'll claim you are being a bully by calling me a bully...and we can both go to jail

it...is...absurd...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

It doesnt have anything to do with who claims victim first. It is based on who directly attacks the other. Having a bad attitude is not bullying unless it is directed at someone for the cause of inciting hatred.

Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Bullying isn't about what is done as much as why its done.

2nd

Edit: Obviously I wasnt talking about people who are just being critical. I welcome that. In fact I myself wasnt bullied in high school, but many of my friends were. You act like these are just words intended to make them feel bad, but rather it was often to make them feel intimidated. Often with threats of violence, that was more what I was referring to.

Also you must consider that maybe bullying was a little different where I live.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Philodemus

Thanks for your post. I should perhaps clarify on how I see self-esteem affects this issue. I think it plays in both to the victims and the bullies. And when I say 'self-esteem', I mean real self esteem that is seen through people's character. Self confidence. The type of confidence that would either dismiss someone's rude comments, or perhaps stand up and say something to someone else should they see something they disagree with, without worrying about how popular the view is.

I'm am speaking about true self confidence, not arrogance, not the inflated ego type of confidence which is really just an insecurity.

And this goes for the bullies as well, because if you are bullying someone for no apparent reason, there is a good chance your are threatened by that person. Meaning, the confidence issue applies across the board.

I think the most important thing to remember is that many bullies, started out as victims. So once they find their own coping mechanism without having any confidence or self-esteem to back them up, they end up on the other spectrum.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Sorry, I don't think it's just a matter of "self esteem." Sometimes kids are bullies because that is the way they are raised. Yes, sometimes it's the parents fault.

Yes, but you think the kid that gets picked on at home by their parents has high self esteem, or self worth? No.

Having had a child who was horrifically bullied at school, I think you assessment sucks. He went to school and minded his own business but was picked on in an unrelenting way. Why, he was extremely small for his age.

He was picked on just cause he was small? I was too as a kid, funny thing though, looking back there were other kids who were smaller and not picked on. So...

Sure it's just that?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

in most cases its all about who claims to be the victim first...if someone has a bad attitude...is rude, constantly disrespectful even on the fundamental levels...then they are just as easily a bully as the person that responds to that behavior...

Precisely!

I have seen so many cases where the behaviour and attitude of some people is unbearable to the ones around them, and as soon as someone does something to address it (of course not always in the right way) they get labeled as the aggressor.

This is exactly what I was trying to hit on in the OP. And it's not to say that this is the case for all situations, but the point is to look at the entire situation without bias so people aren't getting railroaded.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

I know a few honour roll students that became criminals from my school. Also, there's a bunch of priests that became criminals. Hmm... Some charity workers... Hospital workers. Generally wouldn't expect all those people to be bullies now would you? Not all of them were.

Your example?

Completely stupid.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Yes, but you think the kid that gets picked on at home by their parents has high self esteem, or self worth? No.

Honestly, that might or might not be the case. In my experience, some of the kids I went to school with who had parents that were bullies, were the most well liked. Why? Because they had more empathy towards their peers.

For some the case may be, as I pointed it out in my first post, that they carryover what they learn at home to school. In that case, the problem with a student being a bully is the fault of the parents.

He was picked on just cause he was small? I was too as a kid, funny thing though, looking back there were other kids who were smaller and not picked on. So...

Sure it's just that?

He was extremely shy, and well, I would never tell him this to his face....a geek. The kid never liked to wear blue jeans, and had an unusual style. He really didn't care what other people thought of him, and would tell them so. He wasn't very worried about fitting in with what the other kids considered as the norm, which to me, means he had very high self esteem. He was just never a people person. He is a twin by the way. His brother being the complete opposite. The other twin was Mr. Popularity, and had, I kid you not an "I Love Greg," fan club in High School with the female student body. Perhaps he was picked on because he was so opposite of his popular brother. Who's to say, but he was also about half the size of his brother.

The guy is still a very unusual person, being now 28 years old and wearing a size 27 waist pants, he still doesn't own a pair of jeans! Nobody could give a crap about that now! He's very happy and healthy and secure with who he is.
Anyway....him being who he was, is still no excuse to have been bullied the way he was.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join