It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight Students Arrested in Bullying Investigation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reading some of these replies i think i understand something. i see a lot that call for the victims to fight back and take out bullies, or even to "snap" to fix things. now i understand why school shootings take place, those kids doing it are just taking this advice to heart. after all if you are not as strong as those who torment you, a gun is a great equalizer, if you have many bullies then a gun gives you a chance to take them all out. so i guess instead of imprisoning or shooting these shooting spree kids, they should idolized for correctly dealing with their bullies. :shk:

i see this mass arrest of students as a small step in the right direction. if you do the crime you can do the time. maybe if enough kids are arrested then others will start to learn from their example.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Originally posted by boncho

Your example?

Completely stupid.

A mighty fine example of what bullying is all about. How is it okay to make a remark like this to a person who took the time to reply to your thread, whether or not you liked what they had to say?

Incredible!

Yes so lets make a criminal out of him for it? Words are harmless...putting someone in jail for them is in every aspect a higher degree of harm than words could ever be...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Yes so lets make a criminal out of him for it? Words are harmless...putting someone in jail for them is in every aspect a higher degree of harm than words could ever be...

At what point did I call his comment criminal? I pointed out the comment as an example of a form of bullying.

Bullying isn't always verbal my friend.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by generik

i see this mass arrest of students as a small step in the right direction. if you do the crime you can do the time. maybe if enough kids are arrested then others will start to learn from their example.

do the crime do the time?!??!?!?!?!?! are you kidding me?
words aren't a crime...nor should they ever be...that whole 1st amendment thing kinda secures that...

you can't just ago around making things "crimes" that aren't crimes then label someone a criminal for breaking your completely asinine made up "law"...

here here I DECLARE breathing is a crime!!! Because all crimes that are committed are committed by people who breathe we shall outlaw breathing to prevent people from using air as a tool to commit crimes!!! Ahh how genius I am!!!

Here here everyone is now a criminal!! because everyone who is not...is dead

kids shooting up schools are committing true crimes...assault, murder, etc...those all exist already...there is a process in place for them already...the DETERRENT IS ALREADY THERE!!! its called prison for life...death row...all that good stuff.

maybe if enough kids are arrested then others will start to learn from their example.

yes because in your impractical world of imaginary totalitarian discipline you would eliminate bullying and meanies, and freedom of speech and protest all in one felled swoop...with the anti-bullying law...or act...or bill or whatever knee-jerk reaction comes to mind...

edit on 19-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

At what point did I call his comment criminal? I pointed out the comment as an example of a form of bullying.

Bullying isn't always verbal my friend.

0.o...the thread is about arresting kids for bullying...you seem to be all for that...bullying isn't always verbal you are right but guess what...when it leaves the realm of verbal it usually enters a realm where there is already laws in place that deal with that...unless these "bullies" were assaulting someone physically...its all verbal which is pretty slippery slope to make a crime...which is obviously where this is all heading to...

When we talk about bullying I'm thinking calling someone fat or stupid or any number of names...

when you threaten someones life there are laws for that in most states...but even then...its all just words.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Jesus. Arresting 15 years olds for bullying?

I was bullied horribly in high school, but even I see no reason for this.

It's ridiculous. And a ridiculous prognosis is the result of an idiotic diagnosis.

If they understood the nature of the problem they would realize that far more is at fault in the general culture than in the particular individuals who engage in bullying.

And arresting minors is not going to fix the problem. It's merely yet another example of fanaticism.

It begins with changing the curriculum in the schools. Something is not being emphasized which leads kids to prosper in bullying the most defenseless kids.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So you think this is only being done because of Bullying awareness month?

If that is why it`s being done then every month needs to carry the title.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

The obesity issue is hate crimes. Poverty is solved but everyone is too greedy to demand that land be given to all without taxes, and teams help build homes. Its solved, it could have been done countless years ago GREED. Its not that there isn't enough food.

Now, in my family a few are overweight, and barely eat. They don't eat enough to get the right nutrients according to most experts and even their doctors. But alas, health problems that are often behind weight issues creates a slowed down metabolism and health issues prevent consistent excercies.

My mother for example, lives with us, is a shut in with health issues, and I already know she eats lightly and nibbles.

My 6 2 son weighs 150 lbs and is very thin. He eats the most in our family. Fast metabolism.

Earth ship homes, made recyled goods, containe greenhouses, recycle water, produce their own energy, require no heating or cooling, WOULD END WORLD HUNGER INSTANTLY.

Fishing in the Phoenix Earthship

1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost
edit on 19-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

words aren't a crime...nor should they ever be...that whole 1st amendment thing kinda secures that...

bullying tends to go far beyond WORDS. although if repeated enough, the victim WILL start to believe it. so maybe in a case of just words instead of prison time the "bullies" should just have to cover payments for counseling for the victim of it for the rest of their lives. perhaps that would be fairer?

kids shooting up schools are committing true crimes...assault, murder, etc...those all exist already...there is a process in place for them already...the DETERRENT IS ALREADY THERE!!! its called prison for life...death row...all that good stuff.

why do you think that things like that tend to happen? just maybe if we were to stop the bullying then things like that won't have to happen. stop the issue before it causes them to "FREAK OUT". cause and effect. cause being bullied day in and day out, IS a major stress. effect, bullied person goes on a RAMPAGE killing those who abused them. maybe you just have to be one of the abused to understand how easy it would be to loose it and kill those who continually harass and beat the crap out of you every day for years on end, making you fear for your life. i am almost amazed that this didn't start to happen years before it did.

yes because in your impractical world of imaginary totalitarian discipline you would eliminate bullying and meanies, and freedom of speech and protest all in one felled swoop...with the anti-bullying law...or act...or bill or whatever knee-jerk reaction comes to mind...

the truly unfortunate thing is the fact that this type of law is becoming needed as both parents and the school systems won't solve the problem like they should and so lives are being lost as a result. it has to end somehow. after a shooting spree or suicide is TOO LATE. if the bullying could be stopped then we wouldn't constantly hear of the victims of it lashing out in the only way they can see to protect themselves. if both parents and schools came down on abusers, the problem would never make it that far. fighting back doesn't work unless you actually get to the point of causing serious injury, personal experience taught me that. i wonder how many of the "shooting spree" or "suicide" teens found that out before they went over the edge? especially when victims of bullying are constantly told to "FIGHT BACK". isn't shooting everyone a form of fighting back?

can YOU come up with a better solution to stop this? if so my ears are open.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
To anyone who thinks saying anything about overweight or underweight people is not bullying, its a health issue. Yes there are lots health issues. When you see someone you know nothing about them. All you do when you speak is speak the darkness in your heart and the judgments based on that darkness, but not reality. I think its a sign of very sick individual.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Kids can be extremely cruel and mean, and they shoudl be punished for that until they stop. If I had kids and I found out they were bullying people, I'd make sure they wouldn't be doing that anymore.

If they don't stop and keep harassing people then they should get arrested. Especially if they are over the age of 14.

I never was mean to random people in school for no reason, I never bullied anyone, so not it isn't "just what kids do". It's what idiot kids do who have no empathy for others.

Bullies tend to grow up to be awful adults....
edit on 19-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

It's actually a violation of the right to free speech to put someone in jail for something they say. It's even more absurd when it's a minor.

Listen, I hate bullying as much as the next guy, but you can't punish the 'purveyors' of bullying as if they were solely responsible: they are merely executing a possibility made likely by a dysfunctional society.

Punishing a bully by arresting them is akin to putting a drug addict in jail; they don't learn the 'lesson' to be learned. They aren't 'learning' by fearing repercussions. To learn, is to understand, to come to a sympathetic awareness of the other persons state of mind.

I hate bullying with a passion, but there is something very immature and acrimonious about the attitude that wants to arrest and try them for picking on another student.

However, I am ALL for more serious punishments from the school. Far too often teachers indolently ignore bullying because they want to retain their 'cred' amongst the students in the class; it would be far too 'inconvenient' to harp on something negative, like paying attention to one student bullying another, and doing something substantial - whatever needs to be done - to bring it to an end.

I had the misfortune of being stocked by a bully in grade 8 who literally 'hunted' me down at recesses. Till this day I am bitter over the sheer blindness of my teacher to this kids bullying. In retrospect, this blindness was due to this teachers own vanity and enjoyment in maintaining a certain 'ambiance' in his classroom. In other words, I 'upset' the tone he wanted to establish, and so, in cognitive dissonance, he avoided coming to any practical considerations of what to do to bring this bullying to and end.

I reckon it one of the more pathetic traits of teachers who care more about being liked by their students than doing what they - as the adult - should be doing.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by generik

bullying tends to go far beyond WORDS. although if repeated enough, the victim WILL start to believe it. so maybe in a case of just words instead of prison time the "bullies" should just have to cover payments for counseling for the victim of it for the rest of their lives. perhaps that would be fairer?
I already stated that when it goes truly beyond WORDS...its already a crime no need to implement more discretionary preemptive laws...people shouldn't need counseling from bullying they simply need support from loved ones and family...when that is not there...then the problem arises and its not bullying...its lack of support and care from others to counter-effect the words of bullies...because some people don't have love in their life is unfortunate but to solve THAT issue by making words illegal is so far off base its hard to take seriously...

just maybe if we were to stop the bullying then things like that won't have to happen.
Yes just like how we tried to stop drunk driving by making it illegal...yet people still do it...and people still get killed form it...I guess we should just really address the issue and outlaw cars all together...since outlawing alcohol didn't work so well....

stop the issue before it causes them to "FREAK OUT". cause and effect. cause being bullied day in and day out, IS a major stress. effect, bullied person goes on a RAMPAGE killing those who abused them. maybe you just have to be one of the abused to understand how easy it would be to loose it and kill those who continually harass and beat the crap out of you every day for years on end, making you fear for your life.
You can't possibly think making words illegal is going to stop bullying dead in its tracks...please tell me you're not that naive...Oh and again as I already stated...beating the crap out of someone is assault and already a crime..were not discussing that...were discussing the verbal part of bullying...there are already laws in place to address when someone goes too far...

the truly unfortunate thing is the fact that this type of law is becoming needed as both parents and the school systems won't solve the problem like they should and so lives are being lost as a result.
The law is not "needed" and its not going to solve the "problem" and yes the parents need to step in and SUPPORT and counter-act the effects of verbal bullying... As the OP said...if you didn't care enough to support someone and counter act bullying before they were dead you shouldn't be claiming you suddenly care after they are...The most effective way is to support people who are bullied give them praise and acceptance and all that good stuff...be there for them to validate they are worth something...don't just ignore them while being bullied then suddenly start to care and support them after they are dead...that does no one any good...

it has to end somehow. after a shooting spree or suicide is TOO LATE. if the bullying could be stopped then we wouldn't constantly hear of the victims of it lashing out in the only way they can see to protect themselves. if both parents and schools came down on abusers, the problem would never make it that far.
This is just naive to think that coming down on bullies is going to somehow eliminate verbal bullying...And I do have to ask...WHY come down on the bullies instead of lifting up the "victims"??? Bullies become irrelevant when their words aren't considered worth while...you make their words mean nothing not by putting bullies in jail...but by coaching/supporting/validating the kids on the receiving end.

can YOU come up with a better solution to stop this? if so my ears are open.
I think i stated it several times in this reply.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
To anyone who thinks saying anything about overweight or underweight people is not bullying, its a health issue. Yes there are lots health issues. When you see someone you know nothing about them. All you do when you speak is speak the darkness in your heart and the judgments based on that darkness, but not reality. I think its a sign of very sick individual.

what judgement is there in calling someone who is fat....fat...or obese...hyperadipose, adipositis or whatever politically correct descriptor you prefer??...There is none.

The judgement comes from the people who take issue with calling a thing a thing...they are the ones who are attaching a judgement to a descriptor...they are the ones who think being called fat is the same as being called a bad person...this type of thought is out of control...its why people think its bordering on racism to call a black man black...

Bullies do tend to make judgements on descriptors and confuse people into thinking fat = bad person or whatever...how is this illegal tho? All it does is show their ignorance...I don't take ignorant people seriously by the way...and we should be teaching these bully victims to do the same...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Bullies do tend to make judgements on descriptors and confuse people into thinking fat = bad person or whatever...how is this illegal tho? All it does is show their ignorance...I don't take ignorant people seriously by the way...and we should be teaching these bully victims to do the same...

Because it can lead to something like this:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

.they are the ones who think being called fat is the same as being called a bad person.this type of thought is out of control...its why people think its bordering on racism to call a black man black...

What are you even talking about? People find it racist to mention the race of a person for no reason. Like if one made a thread saying "Black mob storms walmart". There's no point to be mention race in that type of situation. It should just be "Mob raids walmart". Or "white brokers guilty of inside trading"...

Calling someone fat is a bad thing, as being fat is not socially acceptable and comes with a whole lot of bad stereotypes. Plus fat people tend to have low self esteem and by calling them fat for no reason would more than likely hurt them and even make it even lower. I don't know why you're pretending that you don't know why calling someone fat is offensive.

Bullies do tend to make judgements on descriptors and confuse people into thinking fat = bad person or whatever...how is this illegal tho?

If they keep doing it over and over again then it is harassment.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

It's actually a violation of the right to free speech to put someone in jail for something they say. It's even more absurd when it's a minor.

No it isn't. You do not have the right to harass someone. It becomes a crime called harassment. The first amendment has limitations.

Ohio has a bullying law.

How Does the law define "bullying"?

The law defines "harassment, intimidation, or bullying" as any intentional written, verbal, electronic, or physical act that a student has exhibited toward another particular student more than once and the behavior both:

1. causes mental or physical harm, and
2. is sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive that it creates an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment for the other student.

This means that bullying includes both physically beating up or attacking your child, OR verbally abusing your child with threats, taunts, etc. Your child does not have to be physically harmed to be a victim of bullying.

The law also includes any violence within a dating relationship as an incident of bullying.

www.ohiolegalservices.org...

Punishing a bully by arresting them is akin to putting a drug addict in jail; they don't learn the 'lesson' to be learned.

No it isn't. Bullies don't have a physical addiction to a substance that many call a disease. Bullies just prey on people with "weak" personalities. They do it because they can, not because they have something wrong with them

edit on 19-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I was bullied real bad when I was in middle school, my father who just got out of an asylum. Found out where the boy and his family lived and threatened to kill them in the most painful ways he could think of.. They left town a few weeks later and my father ended up back in the asylum... No body messed with me then!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

No it isn't. You do not have the right to harass someone. It becomes a crime called harassment. The first amendment has limitations.

Regardless, the government is overstepping it's province by arresting teenagers for bullying.

Again, this is a subject the schools should be dealing with; in particular, the teachers need to be 'reeducated' in the importance of taking note and taking action to prevent bullying in the schools.

This also includes speaking to the students, and if need be, investigating any suspicions you may have of a case of bullying.

Kids are clever. If they know they can't succeed in bullying in the classroom, they'll wait till recess.

No it isn't. Bullies don't have a physical addiction to a substance that many call a disease

You clearly didn't get the connection I was making. The drug addict is a victim of a culture which makes drugs readily available. Instead of being put in jail, he needs therapy and rehab.

Likewise, the bully is nothing more than a vehicle for problem within society, or, a product of something happening in his own home. In other words, like the addict, he is rendered 'passive' relative to environmental factors. The addict is weakened by an addiction; and the bully, by immaturity and a culture (whether at home, or in society) that rewards strength over weakness.

Perhaps in certain cases where the bullying borderlines some psychotic obsession with hurting someone else, than it becomes valid for the police to get involved. Otherwise, it's a useless band aid, and at most, a cause for humiliation (which, practically speaking, does not 'educate' the bully in what he did wrong; in fact, it will make him more rancorous towards the student responsible for his arrest).

What needs to be done is to work from the ground up, i.e. to rework the curriculum's where this problem originates.

My sister, an ECE, mentioned to me that theres a new curriculum in Ontario schools which emphasizes more the 'particular' side of a childs development. This means, instead of a 'one standard' for all which subjects certain types of kids to advancement while leaving the late bloomers back, it focuses in on different personality types. This is part and parcel to the subject of bullying. Bullying is picking on 'weak' personalities, as you described. This is simply the social aspect of an education system which rewards one type of 'strong' student over another type.

Of course, the new curriculum is more complex than I describe it, but one of the issues being tackled is the subject of bullying, and why so many kids are prone to engaging in it.
edit on 19-10-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Regardless, the government is overstepping it's province by arresting teenagers for bullying.

No it isn't. People do not have the right to harass someone and make their life a living hell in school.

Again, this is a subject the schools should be dealing with; in particular, the teachers need to be 'reeducated' in the importance of taking note and taking action to prevent bullying in the schools.

Teachers cannot control someone bullying others. Most teachers aren't even aware it is happening. Telling on the bully will just make the bullying worse in most cases. A detention isn't anything, kids aren't going to stop because of school discipline.

Likewise, the bully is nothing more than a vehicle for problem within society, or, a product of something happening in his own home. I

Not necessarily, bullies can have a normal home life. It's really just a personality trait. Some people are just jerks and prey on the weak. I have no sympathy for them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join