It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welfare spending jumps 32% in four years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Perhaps now we are seeing the "real" "recovery" ?

After being bombarded with all the "good" economic news lately, maybe it's time we look at what may actually be going on.

Welfare spending has grown substantially over the past four years, reaching $746 billion in 2011 — or more than Social Security, basic defense spending or any other single chunk of the federal government — according to a new memo by the Congressional Research Service.

The steady rise in welfare spending, which covers more than 80 programs primarily designed to help low-income Americans, got a big boost from the 2009 stimulus and has grown, albeit somewhat more slowly, in 2010 and 2011. One reason is that more people are qualifying in the weak economy, but the federal government also has broadened eligibility so that more people qualify for programs.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, the ranking Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, who requested the Congressional Research Service report, said it underscores a fundamental shift in welfare, moving away from a Band-Aid and toward a more permanent crutch. ..................

The government spent approximately $1.03 trillion on 83 means-tested federal welfare programs in fiscal year 2011 alone — a price tag that makes welfare that year the government’s largest expenditure, according to new data released by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee.

The total sum taxpayers spent on federal welfare programs was derived from a new Congressional Research Service (CRS) report on federal welfare spending — which topped out at $745.84 billion for fiscal year 2011 — combined with an analysis from the Republican Senate Budget Committee staff of state spending on federal welfare programs (based on “The Oxford Handbook of State and Local Government Finance”), which reached $282.7 billion in fiscal year 2011. ..................

Report: Welfare government’s single largest budget item in FY 2011 at approx. $1.03 trillion

In the wake of the Treasury Department’s newly released summary of federal spending for 2012, it’s now possible to detail just how profligate the Obama years have been. Here’s the upshot: Under Obama, for every $7 we’ve had, we’ve spent nearly $11 (or, to be more exact, $10.95). That’s like a family that makes $70,000 a year — and is already knee-deep in debt — blowing nearly $110,000 a year.
Obama SOTU

To illustrate this a bit differently, for every Jackson ($20) we’ve had available to spend under Obama, we’ve also borrowed a Hamilton ($10) and a Washington ($1) and spent those too. The only thing is that, under Obama, we’ve (literally) spent the equivalent of 342 billion Jacksons, 342 billion Hamiltons, and 342 billion Washingtons — borrowing all of the Hamiltons and Washingtons.

Let’s take a look at the scorecard, based on official government figures. In fiscal year 2012 (which ended on September 30), the federal government acquired $2.449 trillion in tax revenue and other receipts. It spent $3.538 trillion — 44 percent more than it had available to spend. The resulting deficit was $1.089 trillion. ....

The 7-Eleven Presidency

Well ? ... Now What ?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
And, sadly, welfare recipients can vote. How does that make sense?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Are you blaming the US economic problem on welfare recipiants, because if so i can tell you that is not the root causes of the economic turmoil in the US..

I will agree that the increase in spending has compunded a already worrying economic situation, but other aspects display more troubling statistics.

I am under the impression that more comprehensive cuts need to be implimented.

Can we get a refund on those billions of bullets DHS bought??
that might help
edit on 18-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You conveniently left out the part where the Obama administration eased the welfare requirements so more struck families can receive assistance.

Also, more welfare recipients were added under the Bush administration then any other president.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I wonder why it jumped 32%? Check the economy out and it's a no-brainer. There are working families that never received assistance, but due to the jacked up economy, they now have to resort to that. I know, I know, there are some that abuse the system, but they are not in the majority. There seems to be this trend of blaming poor, disenfranchised, and elderly people for the economic woes of America. That in itself is insane. I wonder how many people are aware that black-op defense budgets go into the trillions. And what about bailing out Wall Street with taxpayers dough? Remember those figures? Nobody b!+ches or moans about those things, but, hey, poor people can't effectively defend themselves. Like it or not, welfare costs are mere CRUMBS. And from, my understanding, food stamps are a state thing, not fed. And if my understanding of that is flawed, I'll stand corrected. Your money is being spent on a huge defense budget, keeping the senate, congress, and the cronies in D.C. very comfortable, overthrowing foreign governments, and blowing the hell out of people, in the name of democracy. Poor people are easy targets for your misguided anger, but the ones that you should be pi$$ed off at, are pi$$ing all over American citizens, with the Ameican citizens' own money. Confront your real enemy, if you dare.

ETA: Silly me. I failed to mention the BILLIONS in foreign aid.
edit on 18-10-2012 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot

Wow maybe they want a say to help them get off welfare. What are you saying to vote you must have a job? I take it nothing bad has happened in your life which forces you to quit a job and accept help from the Government.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
You having said that, what if the constitution was taken for its originally intended context? That would mean that noone except white guys that owned land could vote. If that were still the case today, would you be able to vote? What doesn't make sense is that you actually received stars for that profound post of yours.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Good!

It's nice to see the government spend the money they rape from the working-class on those that need help. I have no problem with that at all! Because it is us, the working-class, that needs the help.

At least it wasn't given to the corporations that are not creating any jobs for these people. At least they can feed their families and see a doctor.

I don't know why we should demonize people that live in such a broken system that they have to ask for help just to survive.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The Government cant exactly turn away those in need of welfare assistance..Perhaps their is more reality in the statistics displaying growth in welfare, then the statistics showing economic recovery.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
That says to me that the safety net is working as intended. Read about the great Depression and you will see why we have a safety net in the first place. churches can't handle millions of people.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well...our new policies on illegal immigration would account for part of it. You can't keep dumping large segments of humanity into the welfare system and expect the current tax paying base to cover it all. It's called diminishing returns. Once we cross the middle line of those needing help, and those taxed to help....it will get very very scary...

Des

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It would amaze people at how quickly people would learn to be creative if there was no safety net....

IMHO Welfare is a destroyer of inventiveness, free enterprise, and self confidence. Almost everyone has some kind of skill and those that have none can still make money without welfare.

When I needed money (because I was homeless) I did all of the following things and more. I did most if not all with no licenses or permits (never cited or arrested).

Twisted wrenches on the Bike Path in SoCal for half of shop rates. Total investment was $100.00 total return was $18,000 in a year.
Sold bottles of ice cold water on the bike path. Total initial investment was $20.00. Total return was $50.00 per day.
Baked cinnamon twists for parades. Total investment was $250.00. total return was $1,500 to $3,000 per parade.
Mountain bike coach. Total investment was my existing bicycle and $20.00 for flyers. Total return, thousands.
Dog Walker: total investment $20.00 for flyers. total return $250.00 per week.

I have done other things as well. My point is that welfare is a waste of taxpayer money. People need to learn to be self sufficient or perhaps they should just stop breeding and stop asking for handouts.

Screw drug testing welfare recipients, just take all their video games and cable TV away.........

Just in case I am not clear: Take welfare to feed a kid? Fine do what you have to. Were I king there would be a job available for each and every person taking welfare. Whether it is picking up dog poo and trash or licking envelopes, there would be no free rides in my perfect world. I don't care if they have to cut grass with a pair of scissors for six hours a day. Everyone would work.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Yeah, right. Like creativity just oozes out of EVERYBODY. Some people lack your awesome skills for procuring cash. Some people are not physically able to ''cut grass with scissors 6 hours a day'', as you so eloquently put it. Some people are not mentally capable to live up to your expectations. I may be wrong, but you seem cruel, and bitter towards those you deem ''less than you''.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Pensions and Defense are still bigger chunks of the pie.
Corporate welfare is a huge strain as well.
www.usgovernmentspending.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hey i applied for food stamps yesterday .. you know how much they would award me? $16 ... that's right $16.

While you drones mindlessly attack Romney .. on behalf of the DNC..

Obama is licking his chops at another 4 years to destroy this country. May you all rot in hell ..

good day

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There are 14 million people that are not working or barely working. The math sounds right. Cut corporate taxes and get more people employed.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild
Hey i applied for food stamps yesterday .. you know how much they would award me? $16 ... that's right $16.

Obama is licking his chops at another 4 years to destroy this country. May you all rot in hell ..

good day
I don't support your boy Romney, or Obama. And since you're just getting the memo, this country was hellbound WAY before O was even a senator, or Romney was governor. And I think you're full of it. $16? Yeah, right. Oh, by the way, to hell with you too, sunshine.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Corporate welfare is a huge strain as well.

I agree since that is what welfare is, but then agian that is all all social programs are

Crony capitalism!!!

Take from the masses and give to those corporates censored.

Think bout it eh?

Oh and Bush the most on welfare?

Wanna try agian?:

2 Terms which is 8 years works out to 7 million per term which makes Obama the King of welfare, and his party the kings of corporate welfare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 18-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

Originally posted by LeoStarchild

good day
I don't support your boy Romney, or Obama. And since you're just getting the memo, this country was hellbound WAY before O was even a senator, or Romney was governor. And I think you're full of it. $16? Yeah, right. Oh, by the way, to hell with you too, sunshine.

True story .. $16. Im guessing cause im white .. a male .. and a dad. I work a hard job .. and im underpaid.

But to sum this up .. your voting Obama right.. cause you know Romney is evil rich guy huh. I only say this .. cause as of late.. all i hear is this..

" I don't support either canidate.. but # Romney." - manufactured hate brought to you by Obama and the cast and crew of the MSM/DNC

Ignorance in denial

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

Hence my point.... Creativity would "ooze" out of people when they got hungry enough. I don't like lazy people. If you are not capable of cutting grass with scissors I would recommend the stamp licking position..........

There is something EVERYONE can do to earn their welfare check. Even if it is just busy work, no free rides.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join