It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welfare spending jumps 32% in four years

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
And, sadly, welfare recipients can vote. How does that make sense?

Their vote should count double.

If you go on welfare, you don't feel like you won something, you feel desperate...you ever consider maybe a welfare recipient may actually be upset with the state of the union?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl
reply to post by LeoStarchild

True story .. $16. Im guessing cause im white .. a male .. and a dad. I work a hard job .. and im underpaid.

But to sum this up .. your voting Obama right.. cause you know Romney is evil rich guy huh. I only say this .. cause as of late.. all i hear is this..

" I don't support either canidate.. but # Romney." - manufactured hate brought to you by Obama and the cast and crew of the MSM/DNC

Ignorance in denial

True Ignorance in denial. You are right. Your ignorance of the real issues are astonding. Why would you have to apply for food stamps if you are already working? Because politicians/corporations don't give a damn about you. This has nothing to do with Obama. It started with the dismantling of unions and the people in the country who supported the unions are evil scare. It's from lobbyist fighting to keep labor groups out of the political picture. As a manager my corporation demand that we monitor for any signs of union activity. So working 40 hours a week one can barely afford one a decent place and eat at the same time. I have no doubt you work very hard. Most of us do. But when your wages can't pay for the basic neccessities know who to blame.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you .. but see I have bills to pay. At the end of all of that I have very little left. And YES this has everything to do with Obama. Why do you and your drone friends refuse to believe that Obama has been president for the last 4 years??

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
And, sadly, welfare recipients can vote. How does that make sense?

And sadly the people who own corporations that receive subsidies which is corporate welfare can vote. How does that make sense?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by poloblack

You don't own any air. Damn, your arrogance is stifling. Just who do you think you are?? And if you're referring to me, I earn my keep and then some.

That "argument" hasn't worked out so well for smokers, and tell the EPA they do not own the air whose policies that have put millions out of work and end up on welfare.

The EPA's policies have put no one out of work. The greed of the companies is what put people out of work. Oh we may not make record profits because we have to clean up our toxic spills looks like people have to go so we can make that margin.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You're a liar...remember when you said you only received 16 dollars in foodstamps because you were white male? And somehow it was all Obamas fault. It's mathematically impossible to only receive 16 dollars from foodstamps.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Nondiscrimination: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital and family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employe

www.fns.usda.gov...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Once you successfully vilify and utterly marginalize the poor, disabled, disenfranchised, mentally ill, and addicted - and achieve the conservative dream. You do realize that the "new" bottom rung will be the people who are, today, the middle class. Then the attack will shift to them.

I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half.

Jay Gould

Welcome to wage slavery.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

No permits? Where I live everything you did to make money is illegal.
By the way did you have a tax stamp?

May I add if you were King, in your 'perfect' world you would soon face anarchy.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you .. but see I have bills to pay. At the end of all of that I have very little left. And YES this has everything to do with Obama. Why do you and your drone friends refuse to believe that Obama has been president for the last 4 years??

Hey I work for someone as well that means I am not wealthy. I have watched my pay remain stagnate for over 6 years. The so called salary increases are crumbs. The cost of the basics are getting higher every day.So we are in this together. Listen, if you are honest with yourself you would see that these problems did not develop over the last four years. Look at our history. We are dying from long term self inflicted wounds. The issues facing this country and your pocket started long before Obama or Bush were even born. I know you are angry and frustrated I am too but take a minute and look at the big picture. This is a cancer and there is no quick solution. But If you want to blame a politician I will make it easy for you. Blame every politician who ever took campaign donations and listened to lobbyists while selling out their constituents. Blame the politician who makes four times more money than the people he/she represents. Obama is not your problem. I do not endorse either candidate but let's keep things in perspective. It's all about the money -honey! Peace

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

You're a liar...remember when you said you only received 16 dollars in foodstamps because you were white male? And somehow it was all Obamas fault. It's mathematically impossible to only receive 16 dollars from foodstamps

Hey 3Chainz he might be telling the truth. Food Stamps are based on income. So he could only make enough to qualify for $16 dollars. I know a single Mom who works 40 hours a week brings home $350.00 and only qualifies for $24 in assistance. The fact that he thinks his amount is based on race is what amazes me.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'm calling BS; this figure includes items such as earned income credit. What else have they thrown in there in order to pump up the numbers? You might as well label all tax credits, including those for businesses, as welfare.

Several programs to funnel cash to the poor also ranked high. Led by the earned income tax credit, supplemental security income and the additional child tax credit, direct cash aid accounts for about a fifth of all welfare.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

It is possible; when I was an undergrad college student, during a break in service, going to school on the GI Bill; I drew $60 a month (1990s). When I got married,because of my wife's income, it dropped to something close to $16.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663

I'm calling BS; this figure includes items such as earned income credit. What else have they thrown in there in order to pump up the numbers? You might as well label all tax credits, including those for businesses, as welfare.

Several programs to funnel cash to the poor also ranked high. Led by the earned income tax credit, supplemental security income and the additional child tax credit, direct cash aid accounts for about a fifth of all welfare.

Good point, but how much would the total spent be without those ?

And, why would those not be counted as "welfare" in the general sense ?

The main point is how long can this last without increasing government revenues ?

They need to get the jobs back because many recent recipients had good jobs a few short years ago.

Get the jobs back and revenues go up and welfare goes down.

edit on Oct-19-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Change WELFARE to WARFARE and you get about the same numbers.

I am curious what your point, and further, what your intention is?

IF YOU DARE???

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Change WELFARE to WARFARE and you get about the same numbers.

I am curious what your point, and further, what your intention is?

IF YOU DARE???

I said the points in the post above yours.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Welfare sux in every aspect, even getting it...
I have 2 grown daughters, 23 and 24...they made a few mistakes in life and had 3 kids each before getting a good education. In saying such, they both are single mom's and went on welfare to help with the food load...now heres the unfairness of it all...one daughter has a son with down syndrome and autism, so she and her 3 boys live off his SSI (less than $700/mo) and is living with a relative, basically homeless living in their living room, because with his disability...she fights tooth and nail for an education to teach him simple daily life skills. Everytime she went to work, the public school system dropped the ball and let any advancment he made slip back by months or even years, so she would work 6 months, quit and work with her disabled son...(dont get me started on lack of care of a child with a mental disability)...so her food stamps are about $300/month. We help them when we can with other things like clothes, gasoline and such....the other sister who works fulltime, has her own place and gets child support, makes twice as much in food stamps...how is this fair? Luckily the sisters will help each other with food, baby sitting and whatever they can to both make it by, but the way they figure the assistance is insane...its never done fairly and I KNOW they go by race...seen it many many times just by seeing what the girls friends do or say and what they get or dont get. I am glad they have help to survive, but trying to offer help in this way, is not helping...they need to get people educated for any types of job, help with care for children that is trustworthy and not treat them like 3rd rate people for needing help...too many people Ive seen or known who have a job or two, paid under the table, drive a newer car than me and wear enough gold to make you blush whip out their vision card for groceries??? THAT kind of issue is NOT helping the people who REALLY do need the help !!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

I was looking for what's included as "welfare" too and believe I saw where Medicaid is in this number too.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
reply to post by poloblack

Hence my point.... Creativity would "ooze" out of people when they got hungry enough. I don't like lazy people. If you are not capable of cutting grass with scissors I would recommend the stamp licking position..........

There is something EVERYONE can do to earn their welfare check. Even if it is just busy work, no free rides.

I have to agree with this. My brother couldn't find work for over 4 years in California, lost his house and belongings, then came to Texas and moved in with me. He had nothing. I did what I could for him but it was very stressful and hard on my bank account so I gave him a time limit of one year. Well, because I was caring for him he didn't look very hard for a job so I ended up kicking him out after the year was over. It was awful but I had to do it or we would BOTH be homeless.

As soon as I did this, he found a job a month later. Not just any job, either. A job that paid twice as much as mine! It's a crappy job that's very stressful but he's off the streets and into his own place.

I think if most people were pushed to the edge like this they would be more motivated to find work. I think the welfare system's safety net prevents this motivation. Not all people, of course. But many people.

As for me, I make barely enough to make rent and pay bills. I can't afford the dentist or doctor so it's a good thing I am healthy. I suppose I could qualify for food stamps but I won't do it because I know I can make it work.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Until I can make a living wage again in the most expensive country to live in on the planet. I'll keep collecting welfare and I'll suck the system for everything it's got. I have no shame about it. That same system threw my generations future overboard so why should I care. 10 years ago my job was sent to China so some CEO can increase his bottom line. I refuse to work in retail part time. It don't even pay enough to put food on the table or gas in my car. If I'm gonna work for free I might as well sit on my ass and do nothing. Up yours America! I'd eat out of a garbage can and sleep under a bridge before I work at Walmart.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
You guys make me frigging crazy. Do you EVER take the time to check your numbers against the bigger picture or are you getting paid by the RNC? Holy crap.

I suggest you do your own work and get a clue. Here's somewhere you can download real data:

data

You can download data by year into your own little Excel sheet and calculate spending by year. Then you can look at 4yr periods by Presidential term. Know what you'll find?

During the Nixon Administrtation welfare spending increased 57%
During the Ford Administrtation welfare spending increased 91%
During the Carter Administrtation welfare spending increased 27%
During the Reagan 1st Administrtation welfare spending increased 50%
During the Reagan 2nd Administrtation welfare spending increased 10%
During the H.W. Bush Administrtation welfare spending increased 54%
During the Clinton 1st Administrtation welfare spending increased 4%
During the Clinton 2nd Administrtation welfare spending increased 13%
During the Bush 1st Administrtation welfare spending increased 28%
During the Bush 2nd Administrtation welfare spending increased 47%

Think for yourself people.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl

You're a liar...remember when you said you only received 16 dollars in foodstamps because you were white male? And somehow it was all Obamas fault. It's mathematically impossible to only receive 16 dollars from foodstamps

Hey 3Chainz he might be telling the truth. Food Stamps are based on income. So he could only make enough to qualify for $16 dollars. I know a single Mom who works 40 hours a week brings home $350.00 and only qualifies for $24 in assistance. The fact that he thinks his amount is based on race is what amazes me.

I was telling the truth. i never implied it was Obamas fault. And the white thing was more for satire. But I do believe perhaps its cause im a dad. There are no fathers rights anymore.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join