It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welfare spending jumps 32% in four years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here in the UK, there are many people who work but their pay doesn't cover their living costs, so they still have to ask for help, all because bosses refuse to pay a penny above 'minimum wage'.

So not all welfare claimants are lazy bone-idle bums, I know many people who work their fingers to the bone for a minimum pay, which doesn't even keep their heads above the water. They have to still ask for housing and tax benefits because their pay is so bad. It's criminal.

Stop blaming poor people and lay the blame where it belongs - at the politicians' doorsteps. They are the only ones who have had control of the system and run it into the ground, and they are the only ones who can change it.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

You don't own any air. Damn, your arrogance is stifling. Just who do you think you are?? And if you're referring to me, I earn my keep and then some.

That "argument" hasn't worked out so well for smokers, and tell the EPA they do not own the air whose policies that have put millions out of work and end up on welfare.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

You don't own any air. Damn, your arrogance is stifling. Just who do you think you are?? And if you're referring to me, I earn my keep and then some.

That "argument" hasn't worked out so well for smokers, and tell the EPA they do not own the air whose policies that have put millions out of work and end up on welfare.
I knew you'd show up eventually. This isn't about smoking. And if you're as intelligent as you'd like to think you are, you'd know the context that was meant by that post.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Hold on dude that's out'a order, he speaks some sense sometimes

Maybe re-read his post eh?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Edit or maybe I'am getting mixed up who he is because I have had an Ale or 4

edit on 18-10-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Question: Do you know how to starve a welfare recipient to death?
Answer: Hide their welfare check under their work boots.

I can make jokes like these because I have known of many people that took welfare checks while buying dope, alcohol and video games. My parents were on welfare, my step dad thought it was OK to take it because, and I quote" No one is willing to pay me what I am worth so why work".

How many people go on unemployment and try damn hard to run it out to it's max and treat it as a paid vacation? MOST!

I know some people who are as you describe. But I know many more who are working but still struggle to live, many who are working but have to also claim benefits in order to put a roof over their families' heads and pay their way.

The government is topping up workers' low pay, paying benefits using taxpayer money, and it should be bosses that should be forced to pay it. Companies and bosses are already getting away with avoiding taxes, and they're getting away with paying their hard workers chump change too.

The government should send a 'welfare bill' to bosses when benefits are claimed by it's workers due to low pay. It shouldn't be the taxpayer's who pick up the tab. This would help towards reducing the cost of welfare spending.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Hold on dude that's out'a order, he speaks some sense sometimes

Maybe re-read his post eh?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Edit or maybe I'am getting mixed up who he is because I have had an Ale or 4

edit on 18-10-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)
I never said he doesn't speak sense, because he does. But Neo wasn't being sarcastic, and I'm very much in order.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I knew you'd show up eventually. This isn't about smoking. And if you're as intelligent as you'd like to think you are, you'd know the context that was meant by that post.

Intelligent enough to know that comment has jack to do with welfare.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Question: Do you know how to starve a welfare recipient to death?
Answer: Hide their welfare check under their work boots.

I can make jokes like these because I have known of many people that took welfare checks while buying dope, alcohol and video games. My parents were on welfare, my step dad thought it was OK to take it because, and I quote" No one is willing to pay me what I am worth so why work".

How many people go on unemployment and try damn hard to run it out to it's max and treat it as a paid vacation? MOST!

I know some people who are as you describe. But I know many more who are working but still struggle to live, many who are working but have to also claim benefits in order to put a roof over their families' heads and pay their way.

The government is topping up workers' low pay, paying benefits using taxpayer money, and it should be bosses that should be forced to pay it. Companies and bosses are already getting away with avoiding taxes, and they're getting away with paying their hard workers chump change too.

The government should send a 'welfare bill' to bosses when benefits are claimed by it's workers due to low pay. It shouldn't be the taxpayer's who pick up the tab. This would help towards reducing the cost of welfare spending.

That`s exactly right, it`s a round about way of providing more corporate welfare.
When a person who has a full time job still qualifies for government assistance, don`t blame the working man, blame the company he works for. Corporations who pay sub poverty level wages are receiving corporate welfare in the form of government assistance to their employees.
every single government assistance tax payer dollar that is being given to working people should be put into the books under the category of corporate welfare.
corporations are making massive profits at the expense of the tax payers who are subsidizing the below poverty wages that the workers are being paid.
They think they are being slick but they aren`t fooling me.
edit on 18-10-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I have no idea how things are for you folks in the U.K. I can only speak for my experiences here in the USA. I am a big fan of helping those who need help. I am not a fan of helping stupid people breed. People should not be allowed to sit at home, make babies and get larger checks. For most, there is a point when welfare becomes a lifestyle......

My point is often missed. So to be SUPER CLEAR; There should be no free rides. Take a Government
Check and you also take a Government job. That job can be well with-in anyone's skill level even if it is the most menial of tasks (like licking stamps). This is not because we need stamp licker's, it is because people need to work for a living or they lose all sense of self worth and develop poor habits.

Welfare is a bad thing. Help is a good thing. Smart people know the difference.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Intelligent enough to know that comment has jack to do with welfare.
Did you even bother to read the op that I was responding to? You like to keep crap stirred up. I notice that on every thread that you post on.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well tax avoidance schemes and loopholes are the biggest issues, But yes, let's focus on the poorest and most vulnerable in society.
The fact that people actually start siding with politicians and others who say that welfare is the biggest issue and our best way to save money is actually terrifying.

People are so stupid.

Yes, let's pick on the weakest, most at risk in society while protecting and giving tax breaks to the most wealthy and financially secure.

*sigh*

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by stargatetravels
Well tax avoidance schemes and loopholes are the biggest issues, But yes, let's focus on the poorest and most vulnerable in society.
The fact that people actually start siding with politicians and others who say that welfare is the biggest issue and our best way to save money is actually terrifying.

People are so stupid.

Yes, let's pick on the weakest, most at risk in society while protecting and giving tax breaks to the most wealthy and financially secure.

*sigh*
You got that right, Stargate. But, hey, that's how bullies and cowards, and idiots roll.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
i'm still wondering how a country can borrow it's own currency.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I have no idea how things are for you folks in the U.K. I can only speak for my experiences here in the USA. I am a big fan of helping those who need help. I am not a fan of helping stupid people breed. People should not be allowed to sit at home, make babies and get larger checks. For most, there is a point when welfare becomes a lifestyle......

My point is often missed. So to be SUPER CLEAR; There should be no free rides. Take a Government
Check and you also take a Government job. That job can be well with-in anyone's skill level even if it is the most menial of tasks (like licking stamps). This is not because we need stamp licker's, it is because people need to work for a living or they lose all sense of self worth and develop poor habits.

If government 'stamp-licking' jobs can be found for people to earn their welfare checks, then why can't those same stamp-licking jobs pay above welfare rate and get those stamp-lickers off welfare?

Self-confessed smart people generally aint so smart

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoStarchild

Ummmm.. race has absolutely nothing to do with how much money you get from food stamps. It has to do with your income. And I don't believe you that it is only 16 dollars..someone is lying.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz
reply to post by LeoStarchild

Ummmm.. race has absolutely nothing to do with how much money you get from food stamps. It has to do with your income. And I don't believe you that it is only 16 dollars..someone is lying.

My sentiments exactly.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

You do realize there are more of the working poor than the unemployed working poor, right? A lot of people on welfare already have jobs, they just do not make a living wage.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
well obama is going to win because there are allot more poor people than rich who'll go and vote because of all these perks.

obama is taking from the rich and giving to the poor and he doesn't give a damn.

the only ones complaining are rich white guys who were shut out of the government coffers.

their greed knows no end when they have been taken what they please from the government for the last 100 years.

that's what i like about obama. he knows its all a sham. how on earth can a government function with 15 trillion in debt. yet it does.

the economy is so bad, yet they have no problem raising billions in private donations.

he opened the flood gates and the poorest of america are getting drenched. and its good and makes me smile.

edit on 18-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

If government 'stamp-licking' jobs can be found for people to earn their welfare checks, then why can't those same stamp-licking jobs pay above welfare rate and get those stamp-lickers off welfare?

Self-confessed smart people generally aint so smart
You sure got that right doobydoll!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

obama is taking from the rich and giving to the poor and he doesn't give a damn.

More like taking from the poor to give to the rich. Did you forget the bailouts?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join