It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I found civil war discharge(appointment) papers in my closet!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Okay I didn't Know where to post this so I decided Grey Area. Mods feel free to move.

So I was cleaning out my closet and I found discharge papers from 1865. Now I'm sure there are a lot of discharge papers out there, but this one may be special. It is addressed to a Captain Charles H. Sheldon. He started off entering the company E of the 7th Vermont Infantry Regiment and ended up becoming a captain. After the war he became the 2nd Governor of South Dakota.

Here is he's wiki

So what do you guys think? Any other info on this Governor?

edit on 17-10-2012 by lucidclouds because: Update

edit on 17-10-2012 by lucidclouds because: Update

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Based on the title of the thread, my first thought was, "man, bet they are glad they are finally out". And 2nd, "his pension should be pretty good with 160+ years of service".

That's a cool story though.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by lucidclouds

Ebay...ebay comes to mind. Civil War memorabilia is very collectable. You could try to locate his existing Family see if they would like the paper. Donate it to them.

Cool find....question, how long has it been since you cleaned out your closet....

Des

edit on 17-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Hmm...you really ought to clean up more often!

OTH, maybe its a good thing, some one else might have tossed it!_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
That is not a discharge, that is some sort of fake certificate.

All the discharge papers from that time were headed "To all whom it may concern"

Here on Ebay:

www.ebay.co.uk...

And here

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
These would look GREAT in my store, but the problem is I don't know enough about Civil War Papers to make an offer. Let me call up a buddy of mine to take a look and if they're legit.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
That's pretty cool!

My grandfather had papers that belonged to our relative who served. When I was about 12 years old, we took them down to the National Archives in DC. They helped us research my great-great granfather's service and the battles his unit fought. Really fascinating stuff!

Ultimately we took them to a local store that specialized in preserving historic documents. We to them framed and matted nicely. Yours might be of interest to more people though. You might want to do some more research And make sure they are authentic.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Very cool! I sure would like to see a better scan. I tried reading it, and I think, but not sure that these aren't discharge papers, but papers appointing him Captain of Company I ( or E) in the 7th Regiment of Infantry.

If you are going to sell them on ebay, it would be great if you could get a nice clear scan and then track down his
descendants to give a copy to. I can help with that, if you'd like.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I going to try and get a better picture of it.

There is something on the back as well. I try and take a picture of that too.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I was wrong. they are appointment papers, not discharge papers.

Waiting for my sister to bring a camera.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
To Charles H.Sheldon

You having been appointed on the 13th day of July One thousand eight hundred and sixty five
Captain ofcompany I in the seventh regiment of Infantry
of the VOLUNTEER MILITIA of this state,in the name and by the authority of the Freemans of the state of Vermont ??????
you accordingly

You will, therefor carefully and diligently discharge the said duty, by doing and perfomning every matter and thing thereunto ??refusing??
You will observe and follow such orders and directions as you shallfrom time to time ???? from the commander in chief for the time being
Or any other your superior officer, according to Military Discipline and the Laws of the State i and all offices and ????? under
your command are to take notice hereof, and yield the obedience to your orders in your said capacity, in pursuance of the ???? in you ????

In testimony whereof, i have caused the seal of this state to be hereunto affixed

Given under my hand in the executive chambers at ????, this thirteenth day of July in the year
one thousand eight hundred and fifty five and of the independence of the united states the ninetieth

By Governor,

edit on 17-10-2012 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Heres another one from the same time

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I did the best I could to scan it.

Sory i think some are upside down.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

So I tried my best to scan them. I had to do it in parts since my scanner is too small.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

HAAAAAAAAA! That always make me roll on the floor. Apparently Rick, Dad, Big Hoss and Chum Lee dont really know anything about everything...until it comes time to offer the seller 1/2 of 1/2 of 3/4's the market price...minus the sellers fee, auction fee....oh yeah...and...Im gonna have to frame it and its gonna just sit around for who knows HOW LONG....!"

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucidclouds
I did the best I could to scan it.

Sory i think some are upside down.

Awesome...wish I could read upside down. But, I did turn my puter upside down...that worked ok....

I love where he signs the part, where it states. "I also swear that I will support, the Constitution of the United States. So help me God"....

Des

edit on 17-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It should be noted that these are technically from after the Civil War. The war officially ended in May with the last shots being fired in June. I'm not sure how specific collector's are on matters like this. If you do decide to sell them though you should be aware that this may significantly affect the final selling price.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thanks for the info.

I've been emailing collectors and trying to contact the family.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

If opraah, doctor 'phil', and their minions had been around, all this would have wound up in the trash.

baaah. throw everything away baaahhh baahhh

Make room in your life for ME

baaah baaahhh

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am an in the closet historian – Masters in Military History. I am by no means an expert.

With the information you have there are three possible markets for your find.

1) A private collector of random history. Pros, they have money and spend it freely. Cons, you are hawking a potential find of actually historical evidence for personal gain. Let your conscience be your guide.

2) The family of the Former Governor would certainly be interested but likely unless they are well healed will they be willing to shell out cash for it at least not in the amounts to compete with a private collector. Pros, it matters to the family to have this heirloom and they would likely get it to the South Dakota State Historical Society or Museum which is where it belongs. Cons, the family will get any “credit” for donating the item and you might get mentioned in the story as the original finder it will be eclipsed by the families story.

3) If you want to contact the State Historian (I bet they have one.) and tell him/her what you have and the circumstances of the find I bet they would certainly be interested. However, they will want you to donate it because they are stingy with their limited funds. Pro to this is that it is going to where it belongs and you might not get any actual cash you will get a finder's credit and likely a few articles in the papers and stuff for your generous civic contribution. It will be your story that is on the item catalog. Cons, little if any money...

Personally, my research is that civil war era military papers are not really worth all that much unless it’s for someone famous - maybe 100.00 to the right person, say a family member.

I have purchased civil war era books, personal diaries and records of public service (discharge and appointment papers) for as little as 3.00 at antique stores. I frame them and display in the house as curiosities. Even if papers were for someone famous say Custer or something - maybe 1500.00 or so tops.

Revolutionary war documents are more rare of course and therefore worth more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join