It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Pathetic that $ $ $ $ money speaks in such low levels $ $ $ $
but that's hollywood for you.

They make $ $ $ $ in profits all while dumbing-down the masses.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I really think you miss the point of Cohan. He is smart are raises many disturbing points about the way our society works... In this film he concentrates on the American culture.

He sings 'Throw the Jew down the well' and has the whole US audience singing along with him.. I mean wtf.. When he sings the American anthem he almost started a riot. Really it is kind of taking the pee out of American culutre with honour.

www.youtube.com...

There is nothing racism about Cohan. People like him are needed to show you the wood from the trees sometime.

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

When I was first exposed to SBC years ago, I had a strange feeling about him, and it was NOT that I did not recognize that he was doing satire, but it was his targets and the quality of the satire that made me pause. I felt an agenda lurking beneath the schtick. Just a feeling, not proof of anything.
What are men like Noam Chomsky & James Baker doing on the Ali G show?? As if they didn't know who they were really being interviewed by. C'mon.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

Exactly. It's very obvious. These guys have me riled up and I look like I have a problem with Jews, but I really don't (I have Jewish and Muslim friends, and recently dated a fine Jewish girl - though surely was not appreciated by her family as an agnostic coming from christians).

It's just the guy is obviously racist, he is obviously Zionist (which I am not a fan of because of aggression and Palestinian treatment. It's not really a secret, but ,I mean, he bashed these guys over the heads with it and they can't see it, so i dunno, I guess most people are just dumb.

Of course I recognize the satire, but if he's so funny and clever why does he return to the same topics rather than be varied? Why a topic so entrenched in Zionist politics? And contentious among Isrealis/Jews?
edit on 11-10-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Xaphan

I am not talking about just Borat. I am talking about the man himself. He is a racist. His other movies are racist and therefore you have to consider that his humor in Borat, even if it seems parody, might come from a very real place. And considering his zionism and rips on Palestinians all evidence is in my corner.

Well then start a thread or stick to Borat which this thread is about.

And a source for this statement as you require is the title of this thread.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

You are a loon if you believe that. He is a zionist which means he is pretty much fundamentally opposed to Palestinians

He takes the mick out of all cultures. Have you got selective hearing or something... Why would a Zionist be writting a song like this.

Lyrics to Throw The Jew Down The Well :
[Verse 1:] In my country there is problem,
And that problem is transport.
It take very very long, Because Kazakhstan is big.
[Chorus 1:] Throw transport down the well (repeat line)
So my country can be free (repeat line)
We must make travel easy (repeat line)
Then we?ll have a big party (repeat line)
[Verse 2:] In my country there is problem
And that problem is the Jew
They take everybody money
And they never give it back [Chorus 2:]
Throw the jew down the well (repeat line)
So my country can be free (repeat line)
You must grab him by his horns (repeat line)
Then we have a big party (repeat line) [Verse 3:]
If you see the Jew coming
You must be carefull of his teeth
You must grab him by his money
And I tell you what to do [Chorus x2]

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

I don't have to because Borat is just as racist, the others are relevant and on topic because they are indicative. You can try to get away with the lie by limiting it to Borat (as you are trying to do), but tie in his other movies which are very much tied to the topic, and it's a lot harder.

I love when people try to restrict the topic to insane degrees because it is becoming more obvious that they are wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Mr Cohen has blurred the lines of identity vis-a-vis his "performance art", so I don't think it is fair to insist we discuss only one aspect of his work, let the discussion progress as it will.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Xaphan

I am not talking about just Borat. I am talking about the man himself. He is a racist. His other movies are racist and therefore you have to consider that his humor in Borat, even if it seems parody, might come from a very real place. And considering his zionism and rips on Palestinians all evidence is in my corner.

OK now we are getting somewhere, are you of Palestinian heritage by any chance or do you just buy into this Zionist take over the world crap because I have some news for you.

In the days that Baron-Cohen grew up in London, he was brought up as a Jew and attended Jewish clubs in his teenage years. These clubs were social you know table tennis, art, drama, football, dances etc., and some of them have Zoinist connection. For most Jews in London Zionism means (or meant in the 70's/80's/90's) or promotes Jews to want to settle and live in Israel. There is a lot of encouragement and NEVER any discussions amongst the Zionists in London to go and steal any further land from Palestinians. This is a fact, i know this and it is only in the past 10 or so years I have seen the term Zionism being redifined and being used to portray Zionism as the huge evil! Listen maybe it is at the very top, as we so many US politicians seem to be pro Zionist too however, I can assure you that Sasha Baron-Cohen has never harmed or had any intention to steal land from Palestinians. he worked on a Kibbutz that was named or sponsored by a Zionist organisation, many teenagers do that from all over the world Jewish and non Jewish (It's big in Sweden, Holland, USA and even Australia/NZ for kids to go and work on a communial kibbuitz for 6 months).

Did he join the IDF? No, did he become an Israeli citizen, no? In Bruno did he target the Jews for fun as much as the Palestinians - yes and maybe moreso! Did he cause an outrage with Black communities in the USA over adopted babies with OJ his adopted son (character) yes! What you don't understand is that he is just making us all aware of our own predudices, that is the genius in what he is doing. He is actually waking people up to how silly they are to hold these views!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Whom do you think he is racist towards. Im not really getting you..

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Because he is parodying a man from a majority muslim country? It's pretty obvious. Also we are not arguing over whether he is a Zionist or not that is pretty much established as he was a member of the Jewish Labour Zionist youth movement called Habonim Dror.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hongkongphooey

Lol.. I'm a white dude, born in Kentucky.

Try again.

And Zionism hasn't changed that much, they still had the same discussions (they were always taking more land (68 borders ring a bell?) and he is still around today so even on the off chance it was different then he is moving his agenda forward today.

I am really blown away that you guys can see evidence and deny it. I know you like the guy, but apparently you guys "like - like" him. Are you so progressive that you have to deny this or sell your "the Dictator" dvd?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Lol.. I'm a white dude born in Kentucky.

Try again.

Which one are you Donny?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Can someone point to a piece where Mr Cohen parodies the right wing zionist war mongers with the same relish as the creepy racist xtians or muslims?? I would like to see that. It has been mentioned that he makes fun of Jews too. OK, Jews are not zionist warmongers.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I don't get the joke/reference.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

So as a Caucasian if I cover myself in shoe polish and dress up as a black man I am being racist... That is plain daft.. As a people we should celebrate the things we have in common and our differences. From within that comes a strength.. Its satire.. If anything I would say the film Borat is racist towards Americans... I really do not get where you are coming from.
No offence you sound to me like an over sensitive white man...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I don't have to because Borat is just as racist, the others are relevant and on topic because they are indicative. You can try to get away with the lie by limiting it to Borat (as you are trying to do), but tie in his other movies which are very much tied to the topic, and it's a lot harder.

I love when people try to restrict the topic to insane degrees because it is becoming more obvious that they are wrong.

How is starting a whole thread about what you want to discuss restricting and not expanding, please explain?

You say how he stereotypes and you claim the character to be Muslim just because he came from a predominantly Muslim country. How is that not stereotyping when the character in the movie actually states he is not a Muslim?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hongkongphooey

Lol.. I'm a white dude born in Kentucky.

Try again.

Which one are you Donny?

It's a line from the move Bruno! See you don't even know Baron-Cohen's work you just accuse him of being racist without understanding what he is really about!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

My god, now you are accusing me of stereotyping a fictional character. It doesn;t make him 100 percent Muslim, but there is a clear implication. You are not stupid, you are just arguing to argue. Also, as I said you have to question his motives when he has been racist (prejudiced) towards Muslims and Arabs in his other movies.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I always got the impression this actor was constantly mocking silly racist modes of thinking, his show certainly poked fun at religion and fat people as well. Sometimes when you can't fix an immoral disgusting society you make jokes instead. Deal with it people, any kind of comedy is going to offend somebody somewhere.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join