It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father pickets school after son disciplined for standing up to bully

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by 03Smoker
reply to post by joyride0187

Kids are coddled too much now days. Parents teach their kids that they are special and it ALWAYS turns out to bite them in the butt. Yes kids are special to their parents but they're not to anyone else. Maybe teach kids that instead. No amount of laws are gonna stop bullying. I was taught just to get over it. I did or I fought back. We had a public park across the street from the school. You couldn't get in trouble with the school over there. Kids are gonna pick on other kids. Get over it.

Get over it? No! It's about time kids stand up for themselves. So many kids have commited suicide over bullying, A bully shouldn't get away with what they do.

They shouldn't have to stand up for themselves, because the schools should be standing up for them. Some children are not able to respond to violence with violence, it's just not in their nature. They are usually the ones a bully singles out for "special treatment".

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Wanna bet the bullies parents have more money then max family? Wanna bet the bullys parents are friends with the head of staff ? One of the two or head of staff is a complete and utter moron without any dignity. That seems to be how it works in our society. You are as guilty as your wealth or however you are liked despite the accusation. Whomever made that call should be terminated from the job.

I would sue for discrimination

My kids school has a policy if you get in a fight both kids are suspended for 3 days if both parties fight. I rather have that policy in place then the bully get away with it with a sob story. I know because my daughter beat up a bully. She fought said bully being a hero for some kid that wouldn't stick up for themself. I wasn't mad about it but said kid has to stick up for thyself sooner or later. She did what she believed in and I am proud of that part. Damn they are strict in Texas.
edit on 11-10-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Everyone knows his kid is the actual bully!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Everyone knows his kid is the actual bully!

Yeah he is obviously a real thug with his band uniform and his flute

edit on 11-10-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
What a messed up system we have. The kid didn't do anything wrong here. I say he or his father should stand up a FB page to support his stance IF the Kid is completely right and have not done anything wrong (breaking any rules or regulations in punishing the Bully).

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Yep. Always stand up. In 5th grade, was in an almost all white school in CT.(I'm black). Kid called me a 'n-word', so we fought. I got a 5 day suspension and psych counseling for my "issues", white kid walked. It's the same in adult life. Recently had a bully manager in this job I was working in manhattan. People were afraid of him. He stepped to me with an abusive attitude and a physically threatening manner. I(practitioner of Ninpo) stood up and backed him down. He was MORE than respectful the rest of my time there, while still bullying other employees, because he knew I would knock him the # out, job be damned.

It's unfortunate; I'm a peaceful man. But you cannot ever allow yourself to be bullied by anyone, ever. Stand up.

Always stand up.
edit on 11-10-2012 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
More evidence of our "nanny state." Too many crybaby parents complaining is what got us here. Kids are going to be kids, and there are certain things kids should be left to learn on their own. In this case, obviously the school did not do anything to remedy the situation, and the kid did what he was pushed into doing. Sometimes there are no other options, and people may say that the kid should have just kept taking the abuse, which is just plain wrong.

Schools have a tendency of punishing anyone who was in a fight, no matter if they were just defending themselves or not. It is human instinct to defend oneself if one does not immediately calculate that they can run, which usually is not a conscious decision, but a split second reaction. They should not be punished for this either.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 03Smoker

Yes, damaging kids self esteems will solve all the world's problems.

People who say get over it are not emotionally equipped to handle tough situations and just stick their heads in the sand. It is a cop out.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
When I grew up, you found the bully off school grounds and either you, your bigger sibling, or a bigger friend took care of him.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I got ISS (In School Suspension) for being the victim of a sucker punch to the face. I Didn't even get to retaliate before teachers were all over me. Then they said "we can't take sides" and "everyone will be punished the same." So I spent 3 days in detention with the guy that hit me.

Don't expect common sense from government types ... and you won't be disappointed!

edit on 11-10-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is what many school systems do, paint all students with the same brush. Everyone is guilty, no matter the circumstance. There is a huge difference between bullying and defending ones self and it's sounds like this kid just had enough. I ran into this exact same situation with my son a couple of years ago. A kid from his class, who had a reputation as a bully, was picking on him. The other kid swung first, got more than he bargained for and the fight was on. They gave my son detention, which as punishments go, is light and put in his record that he displayed "bullying behavior". I went to the school, talked to the principle and demanded to know why he was blamed for this. They said it was policy to punish both. My reply was, "So if someone out on the street attacks you, you should go to jail too?" After looking at both kids' record, my son was cleared.
Schools need to look closer, look at the kid's school record and behavior. Is the kid a always abusing others? Always causing trouble? Punishing innocent kids sends the message, We don't care as long as it looks like we're doing something.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That's very true. But tell me, how many kids are playing outside anymore? All their friends are online.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
We've got 3 boys. 13, 10 & 4.

Starting out, my wife was all, "talk it out" and don't get in a fight no matter what.

After the first bad bullying incident, with the school impotent to actually stop the behavior, I told my wife that the kid has to stand up for himself. It's part of being a boy, and if you don't you lose something inside, as well as losing rank in the pack.

Well he went to school and the first time that kid put a hand on him, my boy punched the kid. Kid dropped. It LITERALLY is that moment in his life where his self-confidence, happiness and moral courage took a major turn in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This kind of thing always happens nowadays and it is the fault of hippie types who have made everyone including the 'attacker' (?!) out to be a 'victim'. when i was at school i punched someone (one jab) who tried to set my hair on fire (true bizarrely) and put him in hospital where he required quite a few stitches. Who got suspended for it? yep, that's right, me! I should have just caved his skull in as well and got a few more weeks off in front of the xbox (or ZX Spectrum as it happened to be called at the time...)

btw, does anyone remember the old 'Speccy' computer console?
edit on 11-10-2012 by sweetooth because: i am dyselxic

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 03Smoker

You bring up a good point. The online bullying has exploded and is quite frankly, terrifying.

On one hand, the internet should be kept free, on the other, there needs to be some anti-bullying laws.

I know of several teens now, including my niece, who are starting to delete fb accounts due to high school drama and bullying.

A daughter of a neighbor, who is 16, is now actively starting a an anti-bullying campaign, and her support is growing.

These kids are doing some awful things. Especially with the prevelance of cameras. Kids will take pictures and start whole websites, slandering this person.

I have heard of kids getting denied entry into college because an enemy created a bogus website of them, showing them partying.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetooth

But if a kid is being beat up by an older brother, or who deals with a drunk father coming home, emotionally and physically abusing them, and they don't know how to react or even socialize, they are indeed, a victim.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by sweetooth

But if a kid is being beat up by an older brother, or who deals with a drunk father coming home, emotionally and physically abusing them, and they don't know how to react or even socialize, they are indeed, a victim.

stop being a sad hippie nixie-nox. if indeed he is being treated badly at home then he still has no right to take it out on someone else. it is people like you who try to make people powerless against their attackers and make their lives worse. i really hope your kids get bullied one day.

edit on 11-10-2012 by sweetooth because: i think i am dyselxic

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
The ONLY way to handle a bully is to stand up to them!!!! Sometimes that may require giving them bruises or causing some bleeding. NEVER.,EVER give in to a bully!!!!! Make them regret choosing YOU as their victim!!..

We need to help this dad and child... Call the school! This is our way of helping the dad protest and help stop the bullying since we don't live there. This dad has paid a service to us and now it is our turn to help repay him...

Mod Edit: *snip* (removed the schools phone number. Calling for activism is against Terms and Conditions.)

I am going to call now and tell them how horrible this is of them... they are there to protect our children when we are not with them, not punish them for protecting themselves when no one else would....

politics.kfyi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10/10/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/10/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

I was bullied by a guy in high school. I was a nice kid, had lots of friends in different places, the sort of kid everyone was down to hang out with. I wasn't an introvert either. This guy was a big guy, a football player, he'd push me into the walls when I wasn't looking, or he'd trip me. I never wanted to mess with him because he was such a big dude. Sooner or later, I turned around one day after being pushed into my locker while I was getting a book out of it, and caught him square in the chin with a solid right hook (Grandpa was a boxer, Dad was a boxer, Brother was a boxer, I knew a thing or two.) He never gave me a hard time after that. In fact, he'd hold a door open for me once in a while if my hands were full. We're friends nowadays and as adults we shrug it off as High School hormones.

Kids who pick fights should be taken out of schools indefinitely and schooled elsewhere. They're parents should be investigated and our standards for parenthood should be MUCH higher. If you're unfit and don't fit those standards, you should have your children removed, yours sex organs 'fixed', and restraining order placed.

Kids who stand up to bullying, should be left to do what they do...handle their business. Fighting should be a last resort...and sometimes last resorts have to happen more than once. Fighting, getting into 'rut' and other violent actions towards other children are all natural byproducts of 1,000 students of all classes, makes, models, races, sex, being stuck together in public schools for 10+ years. Those actions are also byproducts of children being children...fights will happen because kids don't know how to handle certain emotions, feelings, or situations. Those same kids also don't typically know where they can go to seek help and advice. If kids are in the counselors office more often than others, I think the schools should look into that child's home life to make sure nothing suspicious is occurring (harassment both verbal and physical, abuse, sexual assault, molestation, or simply being ignored.)

It's all in the checks and balances and in America, within the school system and parenting, there are few of either.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

It feels good to see someone standing up to the bullies at the same time it's sad to see someone being punished for standing up for themselves. I get the schools policy is no fighting and it seems zero tolerance but that's not how the real world works unfortunately. Sometimes you can't hug and talk it out especially when it's children bullies they don't reason like that. A girl recently killed herself on the 10th of this month due to bullying I wish we could do more than just talk about it and make people aware. When I hear news like that it just doesn't seem like awareness is enough. Just my two cents on it from what little I know from personal experience.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Here is a great video of a kid handing out some school yard justice.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join