It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father pickets school after son disciplined for standing up to bully

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Father pickets school after son disciplined for standing up to bully

politics.kfyi.com

A Texas father is hitting the streets to support his son, who he says is being punished for standing up to a bully.

Randy Duke of Victoria, Texas, walks for a couple of hours each day in front of Cade Middle School carrying a sign that reads "Bullying victims are punished here," reports KHOU.

Duke's 14-year-old son, Max, was disciplined for allegedly fighting with a student who had been bullying him, Duke said.

"He's at the point where [he said], 'Dad, I couldn't walk away, 'cause he
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The ONLY way to handle a bully is to stand up to them!!!! Sometimes that may require giving them bruises or causing some bleeding. NEVER.,EVER give in to a bully!!!!! Make them regret choosing YOU as their victim!!..

We need to help this dad and child... Call the school! This is our way of helping the dad protest and help stop the bullying since we don't live there. This dad has paid a service to us and now it is our turn to help repay him...

Mod Edit: *snip* (removed the schools phone number. Calling for activism is against Terms and Conditions.)

I am going to call now and tell them how horrible this is of them... they are there to protect our children when we are not with them, not punish them for protecting themselves when no one else would....

politics.kfyi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10/10/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/10/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Well done and good for you MAX.

your dad must be so proud of you i know i am

edit on 10/10/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Good for both of them!
I hope all the attention makes the school actually deal with this situation.

Funny how all this talk about bullies, in schools and all the stars jumping on board and the like, it is still going on. Every day.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Love your avatar lol.

I think the thing is that we can't seem to decide how to deal with the bullying issue. Let me explain...

I remember when I went to school that the school wouldn't deal with it at all. They wouldn't punish the bully or deal with it.I was too young to remember it but my mother said the people that lived behind us had to move because they're daughter was being bullied at school and in the neighborhood and the school just said that they're kid would have to learn to handle it.They finally got fed up and moved since they're kid was too upset to go to school anymore from the fear.

While I was in school if you were being bullied you dealt with it, yes you still got suspended for fighting,but you dealt with it.Now if this man's child had just been suspended I would say that its a life lesson.That even when you stand up for yourself there may be a price to pay,but its worth it in the long run.But since the school also has kicked him out of school into another one,thats another story.The issue should really be why is this one boy feeling the need to bullying other children? And that the schools don't want to deal with.

My parents told me that if I got in trouble for fighting that was fine,not to worry about it SO LONG AS I DIDN'T START THE FIGHT.I told my boys the same.
I've never been able to understand how it is that we want our children to be total pacifists until they get out of school,then let the gov. make killers out of them??

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Kids are coddled too much now days. Parents teach their kids that they are special and it ALWAYS turns out to bite them in the butt. Yes kids are special to their parents but they're not to anyone else. Maybe teach kids that instead. No amount of laws are gonna stop bullying. I was taught just to get over it. I did or I fought back. We had a public park across the street from the school. You couldn't get in trouble with the school over there. Kids are gonna pick on other kids. Get over it.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

My parents told me that if I got in trouble for fighting that was fine,not to worry about it SO LONG AS I DIDN'T START THE FIGHT.I told my boys the same.

thats what i teach my kids .not to be bullied but stand up for yourself

you find that the bully thinks twice about trying it again as he now knows

they will stand up against him

afterall the bully is a coward

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I've always told my son "Never go looking for a fight". Last year this kids was bullying him. He told me after coming back from school. I told him to walk away, and if and only if the bully persists sock him one right in the nose as hard as you can. When the bully goes down tell him to stay down and don't let him get up. Push him back down until he stays down. Then go tell a teacher what you did and why. If you get disciplined so be it. He left you no choice and I don't mind if it's deffending yourself.

Teachers can't do anything anyway and people who think they can are delusional. They're just like cops, they're not there to prevent a crime from happening just to pass judgement and clean up the mess.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I have neve let a bully "bully" me, I will fight back evvery time, they usually learn that I'm not the one very quickly. When they don't I teach them the old fashioned way, I find a good old fashioned ass whoopin to do wanders for ones priorities.

good for this kid, there should be more like him, then there wouldn't be any bullies. They always pick on the weak, not those that will fight back to protect themselves.

Why hasn't the father sued the school yet? I mean they obviously allowed this bully to do this for years and did nothing.

I may be wrong here, but isn't emotional trauma the same as financial or physical damage in the courts?

Allowing this to occur for years has obviously emotionally repressed the poor child, until the breaking point, and now that he fights back he is the bad guy? What the fuhell is wrong with these people?

I am glad I haven't had to deal with this issue yet with my children. The day I do, you guys will see me in the news, I will not take this kind of treatment of my children, the school already knows they don't wanna deal with me very often, I have been a thorn in the side of every single person necessry at their school teachers principles, bus drivers, administrators etc... every time there has been a problem.

It is easy, just demand a satisfactory resolution, not a year from the time of the incident, not in 3 months, NOW! Everytime they try to railroad you, move up the ladder, and chew a higher placed ass, all the way to the superintendent if necessary.

They really hate it when you make them give you their bosses phone number, then stand in their office and call him, chew his ass, and hand them the phone so he can chew theirs. I kinda have a reputation already for this kind of thing. They don't even attempt to hassel me any more, they take my objections seriously, and any "misunderstandings" get handled pretty quickly, and to my satisfaction.

I am a fairly fair minded sort most of the time, so it isn't like I make a stink about every little thing, but some issues are just beyond my letting them go. The teacher that told my kids that they don't have to listen to their parents, the bus driver that threatenned to kick my kids off the bus for not waiting outside in the 7 dgree winter for the bus, the time a teacher took my childs cell phone out of his back pack and refused to return it until the end of the year( it was powered down, and for his use in calling us when his after school activities were over, totally within the rules of the school), or the teacher that told my kids we were bad parents and shouldn't be allowed to have kids because I was in the military, and served "meat" in our families meals.

The point is, many people will do as they want, not as they are suppossed to unless you force the issue. I have no problems forcing the issue, I don't mind being an asshole if it is necessary. it more times than not, gets results, as rolling over and taking it simply reinforces their negative behavior.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 03Smoker

Kids are coddled too much now days. Parents teach their kids that they are special and it ALWAYS turns out to bite them in the butt. Yes kids are special to their parents but they're not to anyone else. Maybe teach kids that instead. No amount of laws are gonna stop bullying. I was taught just to get over it. I did or I fought back. We had a public park across the street from the school. You couldn't get in trouble with the school over there. Kids are gonna pick on other kids. Get over it.

Get over it? No! It's about time kids stand up for themselves. So many kids have commited suicide over bullying, A bully shouldn't get away with what they do.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Our school policy was both parties always were disciplined for school fights. I was always supended in grade and middle school in high school (Mostly) my rep followed me I only had to kick one bully's butt so I only got one suspension in High School. I don't know if they disciplined the bully as well in this instance, if not, the dad has every right and I applaud him!
edit on 10-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've always thought that the policy was dumb...I was bullied when i was in high school and I was always told to ignore them and they will go away. That is total bull, they just kept on doing it. So i finally got the nerve to tell a teacher which just makes it worse because of society bad mouthing "narcs" so they just had another thing to harass me about. And the teachers and principal did mostly nothing until my mom told them that if they kept doing nothing she would go to the cops (I was not a fan of this idea, but I was getting tired of it). One of the main reasons that i didn't stand up to the bullies is because of the policy that both students would get suspended. And at my school they mostly told you that people who get suspended have a hard time getting into college because they are looked at as bad kids.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiztidRoman

The part of suspensions affecting college applications is 100% true. It was used against me in my complaint. Basically the principal said if the bully gets suspended, so do I. And if I get suspended I'll never make it in to my preferred school. Walk away or not get into college...your call.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The problem is that when i walked away, a lot of the time they would follow and continue.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Public Schools are a zoo. Props to the father for standing up for his son, whats more entertaining though is the religious argument going on in the comments section in the article link, facebook warriors as I call them.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Hallelujah! I agree, go up the chain. Teachers and principals *hate* being "told on". Don't feel like you need to stop at the Superintendent's office either, there is always a school board that they answer to themselves. You get a couple of board members fired up and I guarantee there will be changes. If that doesn't work, contact an attorney. It doesn't cost much to have an attorney fire off a letter to the school board and administrators that will make them pay attention. The school administrators are such puds these days, they will generally work to satisfy you way before it gets that far and will definitely think twice before messing with your kids again. They are just like administrative bullies, once they learn you will fight back (effectively) they will move on to someone else. Picketing just makes the dad look crazy. He should have gotten a meeting with the Superintendent, attended the next school board meeting and retained an attorney. THEN I bet he would have gotten results. Picketing and getting yourself on the news would be more fun, but in today's world if you want RESULTS....learn how to be a professional, credible, pain in the arse. You can always have your attorney speak with the press (which they will likely do for free because of the publicity) if it goes that far but if you give the school a way to wiggle themselves out of a situation, they will take it 9 times out of 10.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

Funny how all this talk about bullies, in schools and all the stars jumping on board and the like, it is still going on. Every day.

Depends on the school.

My granddaughter's middle school has ZERO tolerance - - and I mean ZERO.

You fight - - you get disciplined. Doesn't matter who started it or why.

Even verbal fights are brought into the principles office for discussion. You have to talk it out. Usually at this age its over nothing.

She jumped in to defend a gay boy who was being harassed. She did not fight - - just got right up in their face and dared them to do something. They were reported to the principle by other kids who witnessed it.

--------------------------------------------------

Walking home from school - - well that's a different story.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I was bullied when I was a kid. I was a pacifist. Family of mostly women. They always talked all the peaceful warrior crap.

It wasn't until I was slightly mentally unstable because of it, and started fighting back that I got a hold over the situation. I gained in a year all the self esteem I had dragged through the mud. I regained confidence in myself, and went on to never let that sort of thing happen to me or anyone around me.

Most people don't know what it is like to be bullied. They give all this advice, but it never helps,, it usually gets your nose broken, or your pride destroyed.

I went through almost 7 years of this throughout most of grade school. I got all the advice anyone would give.

It wasn't until I had enough and something inside me broke, that I was able to stop it, BY FIGHTING. I then remained tempered by all my years of cruelty and abuse on my end, but strong and defiant because of it. I never lost sight of how it really feels, so I never did it to anyone.

In a way I have to thank them, all those A holes. They made me indestructible for the most part, and showed me the true power of my tempered rage.

This subject really gets to me. I hear my daughter come home talking about a name she was called, and I want to go kick the kids fathers ass....LOL..I don't of course, but it really sits in my core. I am the under dogs champion for it.

You have to fight back. You can't just take it. I was lucky, had I failed when I lashed out and went completely berserk and ape....I would have gone into a dark place.

I remember the first fight I fought back. The kid just kicked my ass, and I was watching my blood on the ground and my tears falling, and I just got up and told him to meet me there tomorrow same time. He did, and I F-ed him up. The kids made fun of me all day that day. It wasn't until they saw me fight him that most left me alone and some even became my friends.

I then picked a fight with another kid who was absent that day, and came to start with me in usual fashion. I asked him to wait for me after his basket ball game. I went there, F-ed him up, and looked him deep in the eyes and told him to never bother me again...in not so polite words. He was scared of me.

I felt like a GOD! That night I walked home under the constellation of Orion and claimed a star in honor of my victory. I had been nervous before while walking up to the school, and prayed to him for a "good hunt"....It was one of the most important nights of my life. He was so clear and dominating in the sky. Very appropriate I think.

I used violence to end violence. All the other crap only made my blood and tears flow.

STAND UP FOR YOUR SELVES AND DEFEND ALL THAT YOU ARE! You are worth it.

HOLD IT DOWN!

edit on 10-10-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Good for them, personally I think fighting should be allowed in schools to some extent. Less people would snap if they could simply vent their frustrations as they occurred without such strict penalties. I know I certainly would have gotten in a few more fights with a few jerks back in school if I hadn't had to worry as much about tarnishing my academic record or being expelled or suspended. Instead, when your in school, you feel sort of trapped. You end up feeling trapped between a bully and expulsion for defending yourself and it's bull# if you ask me. You can't just tell a bully to stop, most of the time they won't stop and if they know something is bothering you then they only tend to do it more because they get some sort of kick out of it. That means you usually have one of two options to try to get bullying to stop, ignore the bully (which only works sometimes), or kick the bullies ass which isn't allowed in school because god forbid we end up with some bruises instead of school shootings....*swears about the stupidity of the school system*

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
When I was a kid I was very small. I was skinny, awkward and shy. I was picked on all the time because I was seen as an easy target. I always walked away until I could not get away, then I fought back. I almost never won a fight because the bullies were bigger and usually more of them but I never had to fight the same guy more than once. Even when I lost, I made it as costly as possible for the other kid. Eventually, they left me alone. Now I'm six foot tall and weigh about 275 and I scare the crap out of some of my old schoolmates.

I still go out of my way to confront anyone I see who plays the role of a bully.

Kudos to this kid for standing up for himself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join