It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking god.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hello guys, I have started a thread yesterday about how an Atheist could become a christian. I must say that i got a lot of u2u replies and replies in the thread also that gave me great insight in how to find God.

Is it possible to be a christian and not give up cosmological evolution. I think that the main thing keeping me away from God is not a lack of faith in a Creator itself but a disbelief in the the whole premise of Genesis.

I mean, I love the whole concept of salvation through the Son of God, and the amazing teachings of Jesus. But even if I seek God all my life, It is impossible for me to deny cosmological evolution(until proven otherwise by science anyways).

My question is :

Is it possible to be a christian but not believe in Genesis and still think the Big Bang theory is right and that singularity, all 4 forces and inflation are products of God? Or one can not simply chooses as it fits him and must take the whole package?

edit on 7-10-2012 by AdamLaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

I am an atheist; but as I have pointed out to many of my christian friends, christianity and evolution do not have to be mutually exclusive beliefs. Darwin's degree was in theology and I think it was in Origon of the Species that he stated that evolution would not have been possible without divine intervention.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Religions are ladders, not dwellings. Once one becomes your dwelling you are no longer able to participate in the sojourn Providence constantly channels for each. Listening is difficult when ego or Man is droning on.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Many Christians I know interpret the Genesis account metaphorically.

edit on 10/7/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

I think that the main thing keeping me away from God is not a lack of faith in a Creator itself but a disbelief in the the whole premise of Genesis.

What is it about Genesis that bothers you or you don't understand?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

I didn't contribute to your first thread, mind if I throw in a couple of thoughts now?

Some people are very intellectual and rational, some are inclined to mysticism, some to beauty, some to ritual. All of these paths can lead you to God. I would suggest you discover what your inclinations are, then find some writings by people who took that path. If you're a thinking type, I suggest C.S. Lewis, and Peter Kreeft, who was, last time I checked, a professor at Boston College.

It seems that in this thread you're asking if you have to accept the account of creation in Genesis as a word-for-word factual historical account. You might be interested in the Catholic church's position on the issue, try this:

Concerning cosmological evolution, the Church has infallibly defined that the universe was specially created out of nothing. Vatican I solemnly defined that everyone must "confess the world and all things which are contained in it, both spiritual and material, as regards their whole substance, have been produced by God from nothing" (Canons on God the Creator of All Things, canon 5).

The Church does not have an official position on whether the stars, nebulae, and planets we see today were created at that time or whether they developed over time (for example, in the aftermath of the Big Bang that modern cosmologists discuss). However, the Church would maintain that, if the stars and planets did develop over time, this still ultimately must be attributed to God and his plan, for Scripture records: "By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all their host [stars, nebulae, planets] by the breath of his mouth" (Ps. 33:6).

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God"

www.catholic.com...

Hope it helps. This does give you freedom to believe alternatives.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

The messages in the Biblical tales contain much more meaning. The pointers in the scriptures are beyond the simple interpretation of the data, be it true or false.

Too much logical brain thinking is getting in the way of the deeper spiritual context these sacred Scriptures contain.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Or one can not simply chooses as it fits him and must take the whole package?

Religion is mans view of God. This question will gather many different responses. Many believe in Father and do not hold onto the account of him by Christian standards. From the stand point as a collective, everyone has their own path to God, everyone just differ on the details.

Genesis, is not accurate in the details, nor does it give the entire account of creation (the ins and outs).

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Why is OP so fixated on the Christian God? Why not go with e.g Hinduism? Their scriptures are a lot more sensible in the context of what we know about the Universe and life.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

You mean, like, the bloodthirsty Kali goddess? That's not exactly my definition of "sensible". As an atheist myself, I can't help but find a great difference between Kali which uses anger to kill "evil" and Jesus which uses love to promote peace even through his enemies, which would fit the definition of "evil".
edit on 8-10-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

You mean, like, the bloodthirsty Kali goddess? That's not exactly my definition of "sensible". As an atheist myself, I can't help but find a great difference between Kali which uses anger to kill "evil" and Jesus which uses love to promote peace even through his enemies, which would fit the definition of "evil".

No, I mean, like, more general things. For example, a creation account:

Who really knows, and who can swear, How creation came, when or where! Even gods came after creation’s day, Who really knows, who can truly say When and how did creation start? Did He do it? Or did He not? Only He, up there, knows, maybe; Or perhaps, not even He. -(Rig Veda 10.129.1-7)

Then of course, you could take Vishnu (maintainer/preserver) and Shiva (destroyer/transformer), as the mechanisms of evolution

Also, the cosmological time scales and all that stuff: thousands of years (Christianity) vs. billions of years (Hinduism)..

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I was perplexed by the time scale anomaly too. A good christian of mine explained to me that Genesis didn't happen in 6 days as usually though. It was revealed through 6 days. Like episodes, so that the inspired guy who wrote down Genesis would have time to write it down.

So basically, "god" could have created the universe in bilion of years, he just revealed the important parts in a 6-episode series which we call Genesis.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Why is OP so fixated on the Christian God? Why not go with e.g Hinduism? Their scriptures are a lot more sensible in the context of what we know about the Universe and life.

Agree. And with so many sects within each religion (with different views and beliefs), why not even form one's own personal religion based on personal observations, personal conclusions and personal epiphanies.

I believe there is no valid proof of a god or how life got its start. Therefore, I exist with my own commandment and live by my own rules (that may change with time and experience). I am not mentally locked into any belief to the point where I would deny a truth when exposed to it.

My one commandment:

Do anything you want in life as long as you don't hurt anyone, including yourself.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

God has little or nothing to do with Christanity.
If you want to be a Christian go to a church and eventualy you will believe.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Although you were previously know for being quite objective, I must say I am under the impression you actually attempt to discredit christianism these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join