It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Okay, I signed the petition.

I have also let some of our fishing buddies know about the petition. Hopefully they will take the time to do some reading and agree that this is a Very Important situation.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
After posting the link to the White House petition in my Dangerous Gases thread (in my signature) SteveR made this interesting post about lighting the fire and letting it burn. What's the possibility of this? I never heard of the "Door to Hell" that he references here. If radiation levels are so high, would that have any effect on this? Reports have said that if this sinkhole exploded it could cause an explosion of a catastrophic level of a nuclear bomb. If the sinkhole were lit, could it explode in this nature?

They should handle the Louisiana sinkhole exactly the same way as the Russians do. Set the damn thing on fire. As I mentioned before, for 42 years and counting the "Door to Hell" in Derweze, Turkmenistan has been continually burning. It is a perpetual inferno over 200 ft in diameter. Similar to this Louisiana one, the "Door to Hell" spews constant methane and was making locals very sick until the Russians (Soviets back then) set it alight. They thought it would burn out in a few days, but it's still going strong after decades. That shows how much methane is down there, much better to burn it off than have it poison the atmosphere and contribute to the greenhouse gas level (methane is far more potent a greenhouse gas than the CO2 they always talk about).

edit on 29-12-2012 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
That's not a bright idea. To many unknowns to set this on fire. Russians either burn it or blow it up lol. It is not like this sinkhole is in a remote area like a lot of Russia is. Of the wind blows from the west, New Orleans gets smoked out. If it blows from the north, Thibodaux and Houma gets smoked out. If it blows from the south, Baton Rouge gets smoked out. And from the east, Lafayette.
edit on 29-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Yeah, their fire has been burning for 42 years. That's a lot of gas down below!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Also to many dead cypress lol. Do you know how fast cypress burns? To give you an idea, we had a century old building in town, covered an acre and was built with cypress wood. The building covered the better part of an acre. Well, it caught fire and was down to the ground in 30 min. That swamp of dead cypress would bring a whole new meaning to wildfires lol.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Better have your running shoes ready

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There is another thread about the sinkhole that was started yesterday. This video, posted to YouTube today, is on it. It shows a short history of the sink hole and the lack of response from the companies and state government agencies involved.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Great video Kat. The guy with the Dupont shirt was quite informative. He has already been relocated once, you can't help but feel awful for these people as their lives get disrupted with no end solution in site. this video was very well done. Actually the person who made the video has a few more. Very informative about Louisiana and great music.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I'm thinking we should migrate lol this thread isn't getting much attention.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Could someone send a private message with the link to the petition.

I looked this evening but could not find anything related to it. I searched using these keywords: Assumption, sinkhole, Louisiana.

I used filters to looks for Environment issues and Homeland Security and Disaster Relief issues. Nada.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

There is "burning" going on there.

Several wells have been sunk with venting flares burning non stop.

dnr.louisiana.gov...

Page 3.

edit on 30/12/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy

It's only slow because the action, both at the sinkhole and from the industrial/government complex, is slow. But let it escalate again like it has done in the past and this thread will heat up again. I am in favor, in spite of the current slowness, of keeping our updates here because no other thread will have the history behind it that this one does when the SHTF. And based past events, that is a given. We just don't know when or how bad it will when it happens.
edit on 30-12-2012 by happykat39 because: clarified a point

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

There is "burning" going on there.

Several wells have been sunk with venting flares burning non stop.

dnr.louisiana.gov...

Page 3.

edit on 30/12/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

That PDF report has more usable information for the non engineer than most of the other reports combined. That is a great find Rez.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Chadwickus found it. I brought up the burn idea and he then posted that report. Great find Chadwickus!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

It's only slow because the action, both at the sinkhole and from the industrial/government complex, is slow. But let it escalate again like it has done in the past and this thread will heat up again. I am in favor, in spite of the current slowness, of keeping our updates here because no other thread will have the history behind it that this one does when the SHTF. And based past events, that is a given. We just don't know when or how bad it will when it happens.
edit on 30-12-2012 by happykat39 because: clarified a point
Keep this thread going but if new ones pop up great! More threads, more attention. I have been reading up on another sinkhole, Giant Texas Sinkhole Keeps Growing
This they specualte was due to salt dome collapse. It has been going on for years. When the Daisetta sinkhole occurred it gave way quickly. But officials are not 100% sure it is completely done growing. Bayou Corne may continue to slowly grow or one day it could gobble an acre or so...

Sinkhole and Town: Now You See It ...

This town is stilling dealing with this sinkhole. A big gator moved in a few years ago and the citizens are worried about water quality.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Been reporting the flaring lol. Even posted a picture some pages back.

I was in Bayou Corne for the better part of the day yesterday talking to residents. Some all but given up....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Been reporting the flaring lol. Even posted a picture some pages back.

I was in Bayou Corne for the better part of the day yesterday talking to residents. Some all but given up....

Sorry Cajun, sometimes I miss posts in these super threads - the only real reason to start new ones, btw, but I like AuntB's thoughts to keep this one going because of all the information in here.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Lol, it's all good. Was just pointing you into the direction of you want too see it set up in BC.

Also happy new years everyone!!!
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Translation: Let the good times roll!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Texas Brine Co. LLC is challenging $160,000 in fines that the Louisiana Office of Conservation levied against the company Dec. 17 for failing to meet state-mandated deadlines in its response to an 8.5-acre sinkhole emergency in northern Assumption Parish, company officials confirmed Friday.
Texas Brine fights fines

I do wonder how much Texas Brine is making off the oil that they are pulling out of the sinkhole. Also, I noticed they are now referring to it as 8.5 acres.

Just found a Year in Review: I can't seem to link it properly but....
maybe this will work now. If not found here: Louisiana Sinkhole:Year In Review 12-30-12
edit on 5-1-2013 by AuntB because: added

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

CajunBoy posted the amount HERE

And I did the math in this reply to his post...

Originally posted by happykat39

No change is ground level. I've heard something that really ticked me off. TB is making more money off the oil in the hole that they have spent to fix it. They make over $250,000 a day on the oil alone! The state also plans on building a new hwy around the hole. Looka like this isn't a big scramble to fix this

Good God man, please tell me this is a joke. No, I trust you CajunBoy, it's not a joke. Or maybe it is a joke anyway, on the residents of the area around the sinkhole.

1/4 million a day times how many days? Here is a quote from the OP, posted by BrieBird.

posted on 6-10-2012 @ 08:38 AM

We are now nearly four months into this mess created by an abandoned Texas Brine salt dome. The dome has callapsed, a huge sinkhole has opened up, strange bubbling in surrounding waterways, and now tremors accompanied by large booms are being felt in the surrounding area. An evacuation notice has been issued by the state of Lousianna but, yet no national coverage. Why the media blackout on this event? www.examiner.com...

Note that this OP was posted on June 10th and states that the problem began nearly 4 months prior to that date. That puts the start of the collapse back in mid February of 2012. The first indication of oil seepage was given in an article linked to on the same day. But that was sketchy at best.

But let's be generous and say that Texas Brine has only been skimming oil at that rate for four of the ten months this has been going on. That is approximately 120 days. That comes to a profit of 30 million dollars on the oil they have gathered. That would go a long way toward paying the displaced residents enough to find another place to live and have money left over, and Texas Brine would still be breaking even.

Greedy (*&&**&%&^%'s

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join