It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
Salinity levels in Bayou Corne is 1.1 ppt to .2 ppt.

Now let's look at the dissolved oxygen level. Bayou Corne, Triche Canal and Bayou Lafourche.

Bayou Corne - 4.9DO (at bubble sites it is 1.5-2.5)
Triche Canal - 2.5DO
Bayou Lafourche - 8.0DO

I'm not sure of what is good and what's bad. Can someone share what they know on oxygen levels?

These numbers were from DEQ

SOURCE

Adequate dissolved oxygen is necessary for good water quality. Oxygen is a necessary element to all forms of life. Natural stream purification processes require adequate oxygen levels in order to provide for aerobic life forms.

As dissolved oxygen levels in water drop below 5.0 mg/l, aquatic life is put under stress. The lower the concentration, the greater the stress. Oxygen levels that remain below 1-2 mg/l for a few hours can result in large fish kills.

The low dissolved oxygen levels at the bubbling sites would explain all the dead fish in the video taken from a boat.
edit on 21-12-2012 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well you have to take into account this evasive plant as well to low oxygen levels: en.m.wikipedia.org...

It has been a bad year with these things. Mild winter this year didn't help. Also with the economy as it is, the state nor the fed government had the money to spare to hold back growth. Clogged up all the bayous and canal making it impossible for the conventional boat to travel. Shrimp boats got stuck, recreational fishers always looking for help getting out, and of course oxygen levels dropped because these things are life suckers. It is the kudzu of the water. The Japanese brought it over for a world fair in New Orleans back in the 80s

One of the many forgotten enviromentall issues in Louisiana.
edit on 21-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

1. No H2S was detected by the air monitoring devices surrounding the well. After the well was shut in, work continued to prepare the well for additional diagnostic procedures scheduled for early January.

2. Light bubbling continues to be observed in the center of the sinkhole. The emulsified hydrocarbon that is rising to the surface with the bubbling has been contained and is being removed. Virtually all other surface debris has been removed. A system of strobe lights positioned around the sinkhole to deter birds and waterfowl from approaching will be reactivated tonight after new batteries are installed. Mylar tape will be installed around the perimeter to discourage the approach of mammals

4. Installation of the third pressure monitoring well on the Texas Brine site was completed today. Two of these are being tested to determine their potential use as vent wells from which gas in the aquifer could be flared at the surface.

5. The first of two pressure monitoring wells planned for the Bayou Corne community is expected to be completed this week. The placement of the second well is still waiting for landowner approval.

Source

– Next public briefing - TBD

Next Operational Period (20 – 27 Dec 2012) Incident Action Plan

– Transferring O&M of ORW 1, 2 and 3 to TBC\Tetra Tech
– Texas Brine contractor is installing pressure monitoring well in Bayou Corne - north of HWY 70

• Office of Conservation fined Texas Brine $160, 000 for failure to comply with the emergency order directives (12/17/12).

• Fifty Two indoor air monitoring inspections have been conducted in response
to citizen requests.

– Shaw E&I performing pressure step test on ORW – 1, -2
– Shaw E&I split gas sample with Texas Brine form OXY 3a

Source

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
A lot of holes are being drilled into the ground. Also, a few residents tracked down Bobby Jindal and went protest where he was at. He was opening a new chemical plant on the river about 20 miles away and they stood on the side the road by the plant with signs pointing towards Bayou Corne.
edit on 22-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Good for them
I too have been wondering why Mr. Jindal hasn't had anything to say about this. (As far as I know).

Maybe he has some interests in some of the businesses involved in this mess.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat
reply to post by CajunBoy

Good for them
I too have been wondering why Mr. Jindal hasn't had anything to say about this. (As far as I know).

Maybe he has some interests in some of the businesses involved in this mess.

OH YEAH, he does have an interest in it. At least two state agencies are arguing with Texas Brine over who is at fault (read, who will pay the most) and Jindal, as governor, is responsible at the end of the day for those agencies and what they will, or will not, have to pay out to the residents of the area. When his decisions determine just how much of the buck stops at his desk just which side do you think he will be on??? The easier he makes it to sweep this whole ungodly mess under the rug in the eyes of the rest of the state the better he looks.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Actually, Jindal is like the Godfather of politics. It's his way or the highway. A lot compare him to Nixon, if you get in his way, get ready for the vendetta. He has made loads of enemies since taking the governor possition. He views Louisiana as the stepping stone to the presidency and nothing more....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

Bingo! Thanks Lurks for all the info.

Texas Brine contractor is installing pressure monitoring well in Bayou Corne - north of HWY 70
North side of 70???? Is that the other side opposite of the sinkhole?

Also, regarding Mr. Jindal my patience is worn thin with his ignoring the issue. I think a letter to his office is needed. If he is dreaming of a higher office he is sadly mistaken. This situation and his ignoring the situation will sink his ship. If he doesn't step up and handle this issue properly he will never reach the oval office. Americans are sick of politicians like him.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

North of 70 is opposite of the sinkhole. Also goodluck with that letter, he already has a desk full just from BC residents

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
From what I have been watching, this area is going to see alot more rain.

How do you see the area reacting to that?
edit on 23-12-2012 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2012 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
While I was checking out the seismos near the sinkhole, I realized that they've added two new stations.

There is one at the surface (GS10), and one borehole seismometer (GS11), 130 meters down a drill hole, at the same location. When I checked the IRIS Metadata for the coordinates, this is what I got for the location. (the green arrow=the pad next to the sinkhole)

Borehole seismometers are really nice because they aren't influenced by surface activity nearly as often as normal seismos. These 2 new stations also show movement in 3 directions: EH1 is usually North-South, EH2 is East-West, and EHZ is vertical (up and down).

So, looking over last night, I found what looks to be a "typical" local earthquake signature at 02:19 UTC (or 20:19 CST == 8:19 pm last night
) on station LA10 EHZ GS11. (thumbnail below)

You can check the same time on all of the surrounding seismic stations and see the same signature. This will really help to discern actual earth movement (ie. quakes, rock falls from the cavern ceiling, etc.) from the daily manmade activity.

edit on 12/23/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

I just wanted to add that the above earthquake was tiny, probably less than Mag 0---nothing any of the locals would feel.
edit on 12/23/2012 by Olivine because: being specific

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
We've all been speculating where Jindal is.... he's hanging with Santa....

Louisiana Governor Jindal, Bayou Corne Sinkhole and Santa

I guess the sinkhole doesn't fit his political agenda. People are becoming starting to note the difference in his performance- oil spill vs. sinkhole. Jindal was quote as saying

Let's be clear: Every day that this oil sits is one more day that more of our marsh dies."
this was during the oil spill. The bayou is slowly being swallowed and contaminated. Does it matter if the marshes in Bayou Corne die? Obviously not to the Gov.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hey guys, I've been near the sinkhole all day. I'm at a friends camp 2 miles away. I'm hearing distant explosion, I'm trying to determine what it could be. My best guess is fireworks but I'll investigate it a little further.

And yes, we are in for a wallop the next two days.
edit on 23-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Alright, I was just a little paranoid. It was fireworks

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Hey guys, I've been near the sinkhole all day. I'm at a friends camp 2 miles away. I'm hearing distant explosion, I'm trying to determine what it could be. My best guess is fireworks but I'll investigate it a little further.

And yes, we are in for a wallop the next two days.
edit on 23-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)
What is it with you Cajuns and fireworks???? I swear you mentioned they were shooting them off a few weeks ago. I watched the Weather channel and it looks like major rain. Due to the holidays I think the news coming from the sinkhole will be lacking. I am sure the next flyover will show growth if they pan the whole sinkhole and stop showing us what they want us to see,

What are the thoughts on the installation of the new monitors on the N. side of 70? I feel that gas is leaking out in a very wide radius. I know the citizens don't want monitors in their homes but they need to think of their safety. Are basements popular in the area?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Here is the latest from Celestial Convergence...

There are three pictures captured from flyovers from near the beginning to one from a 12/21 flyover. I think they show more info on the growth than the actual videos do.

Celestial Convergence Update - 12/24/2012

Photographs from a flyover today, December 21, 2012, show the Bayou Corne Sinkhole is continuing to expand. The sinkhole is currently estimated to be approximately 8.5 acres in size. Three days after it formed on Aug. 3, 2012, the sinkhole was a smaller slurry area approximately 372 feet wide.

December 21, 2012, Almost 5 months after it first formed. The sinkhole has expanded some more and a sheen of crude oil can still be seen on it's surface. A large area of natural gas bubbles can also be seen at it's center.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Definitely more growth! The other day when we had 30mph winds a few trees fell in. About 2 dozen or so.

I just want to wish every a Joyeux Noël! God bless each and everyone of you and your families on this Christmas eve and day. I am blessed to have everyone of y'all keeping y'all attention on this sinkhole of a disaster.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by happykat39

Definitely more growth! The other day when we had 30mph winds a few trees fell in. About 2 dozen or so.

I just want to wish every a Joyeux Noël! God bless each and everyone of you and your families on this Christmas eve and day. I am blessed to have everyone of y'all keeping y'all attention on this sinkhole of a disaster.

And a merry Christmas to you as well. Stay safe and enjoy the holiday and we will get on top of it again after we have too much Christmas ham and eggnog (spiked of course) and return from the land of nod.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Merry Christmas to you all. May everyone stay safe, and enjoy your families.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well guess i will be waiting one more day for any updates since there all gone for the holidays.

Company Officials: Liquid oil is coming from bubbles in center of giant sinkhole — No cleanup crews working from Dec. 22 to 26

Source

Seismos while there is no work going on

Worksite Driveway is Submerged

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and a great New Years!

if you did not have it

List and link to the 12 seismos they have at the sinkhole
edit on 26-12-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join