It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOtter
Can anyone read German? I found this article that mentions the sinkhole yonder. I doubt it has any new info, but it would be interesting to see the event from a foreign media.

It's a little rough but here is a partial German to English translation from my word plugin.

„Day breaks over Kavernen are in Etzel to exclude “
By Wolfgang play the trump card

The IVG Caverns as operators asked experts in Leipzig for an estimate. As comparison the Unglücke in Louis IANA serves. Safety margins must be kept.

Etzel - the IVG Caverns as Betreiberin of the Kavernen in the salt plug with Etzel (municipality peace castle), in which oil and natural gas is stored, continues to follow to the causes of the so-called Tagesbruchs in the US-American Federal State Louis IANA. In this connection the enterprise inquired recently also with Institut for mountain mechanics (IfG) in Leipzig and asked for an estimate of the possible comparability between the situation in the United States and in Etzel. Here „the general mountain regulation is particularly over Untertagebetriebe, day-builds and saltworks (ABVO) “- last changed 1995 - importantly according to IfG. This plans among other things to leave with salt mines of safety margins of at least 150 meters against the edges of salt plug. The IVG Caverns keeps this regulation for salt mines also with the establishment of the Speicherkavernen in Etzel.

„In the case of adherence to such safety columns and considering necessary column widths between the Kavernen Tagesbrüche over underground reservoirs are in the salt mountains both during the period of operation and after the Verwahrung in Etzel to exclude “, say Armin Lindert, diploma mathematician at the IfG.

To the background: At the 3. August 2012 came it into Corne Bayou, Louis IANA, in a Kavernenfeld to the formation of a Tagesbruchs (sink-get). The surface concerned in the south of the United States has a diameter of approximately 183 meters (30.11.2012). As a cause the Solegewinnungskaverne is assumed „ Oxy 3 “, which was locked and shut down in June 2011. Unusual it is here that the Kaverne „Oxy 3 “extremely close at the edge of the salt plug (salt plug flank) is. The Louis IANA department OF Natural Resources (LDNR) introduced a cause analysis of the procedures in Louis IANA, whose results are not present however yet. The IVG will also in the future further pursue the investigations after report of its press speaker Armin sheaf to the Tagesbruch and will inform about the realizations immediately the public.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by AuntB

The Macando well was the same. Had a very high methane content.

Again, I urge everyone interested to do some batholith research. Would do it, but not the sharpest one here.
It's out there, tho, I assure you, and from what I read, it may have some huge geological references here.

I just did an extensive search on batholith and cannot find any indication that such a structure exists in Louisiana. Do you have a link to something I can get my teeth into. Or did you mean some other rock formation with a similar name?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hydrogen sulfide is commonly found in capstones. Finding pockets of H2S is not uncommon. While researching I found this: Effects of the 1994 Retsof Salt Mine Collapse I don't recall this happening.

Kat- you brought up lots of issues that I will respond to later but now it is Mommy time.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

I have a response to your mommy time comment that would be too far off topic. Check your messages.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOtter
Can anyone read German? I found this article that mentions the sinkhole yonder. I doubt it has any new info, but it would be interesting to see the event from a foreign media.

I have a German friend that I will pass the on to.

May take a day or two.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
@ tetra50

batholiths are not such a far-fetched idea at all.
i wonder how many on this thread are aware that Arkansas is one of the most active volcanic regions in the South. true, AR is not close to the sinkhole, however, they are all connected, underground.

one of the things i found rather unusal is that almost a direct, perpendicular N/S line can be drawn from the region known as Guy/Greenbrier Arkansas to the Bayou Corne region

surely, i am not the only poster here who remembers the persistent quakes and "fracking" concerns in those regions just a short time ago ?

perhaps i'm way off base but i tend to think not.
for those who'd like to know more, you might find this of interest ... please review the "look inside" link or the abstract may seem irrelevant or even worse, common knowledge, which i assure you, the accompanying info is not common knowledge. link.springer.com...#
[for whatever reason i cannot seem to cut/paste any portion of it so here's a 'possibly poorly typed' section of the article linked ... i am not boxing it cause i cannot assure an exact copy and link to the original is provided
]

--> Further analysis of high-resolution seismic data and visual observations from the Johnson Sea Link submersible have identified three structures that have been created by the rapid venting of hydrocarbons to the sea floor. These three structures occur with a 200-km part of the Green Canyon area (Fig 1) and represent three stages in development from very active, to nearly dormant, to dormant. In profile, these features have similar shapes and acoustic characteristics (Fig 2-4)
However, in each case the level or degree of activity could not be predicted by the seismic profiles. Only by direct observation was it discerned that the structure was active, partially active or dormant.

well done tetra50.
thanks for bringing this up and reminding those concerned just how precarious this situation really is.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

here is a new video posted this morning of the bubble sites.
edit on 11-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
CajunBoy, your video isn't working. When I click on the YouTube link I get the message "this video doesn't exist".

Here is your video...

edit on 11-12-2012 by happykat39 because: added video

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

idk why my vids are not coming up right, I put it in the thread correctly!

www.youtube.com...

here is the link

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

The link is working now.

WOW!! That is concerning.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

There you go friend

While i am here guess i will put the update from brine for the day.

Brine Company, LLC UPDATE December 10, 2012
1. The Observation Well remains shut in. Various options are under consideration to ensure any hydrogen sulfide in the natural gas or liquid hydrocarbon coming from this well is safely managed and flared. No additional hydrocarbon displacement will occur until then.

2. Bubbling in the center of the sinkhole was observed again today. After a rain delay, clean-up of the relatively small amount of debris and liquid hydrocarbon that remains on the sinkhole surface within the containment boom was resumed. A tree, located about 20 feet south of the mat road, fell into the sinkhole over the weekend. No other changes to the shape or size of the sinkhole were detected.

3. The temporary geophone will be installed in the 480-foot-deep geophone well this week. The data recorded by the geophone will be used to design a broader, permanent geophone system array. 4. The shallow aquifer Relief Well #1 was closed in at 9:00 a.m. this morning in order to remove water that had accumulated in the well casing. Flaring was resumed at approximately 1:15 pm with the vent flow returning to a rate of approximately 63,000 cubic feet per day. Flaring will continue 24 hours/day.

5. Work resumed today on the installation of three shallow aquifer pressure monitoring wells on the Texas Brine site.

6. Crews began cleaning and flushing the six geoprobe wells today that were installed in the Bayou Corne community last week. The procedure will facilitate an accurate measurement of shallow gas zone pressure. Installation of a deeper pressure monitoring well in Bayou Corne will begin tomorrow.

Source

Assumption Parish
Operational Situation Summary As of 12/6/2012 Here
edit on 11-12-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

@Kat Yes they do!

edit on 11-12-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

Looks like we were both posting the video at the same time. Great minds think alike.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
@CajunBoy...

You are our "boots on the ground" so I want to ask; is the bubbling in the video a serious increase or just a better documentation of what we already knew?

Either way it is disturbing.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well the bubbling has certainly increased with the number of spots. I wonder if they do daily monitoring on these or is al the focus just in the sinkhole area.

Here is is a video from June showing bubbling:Mysterious bubbles in Bayou Corne

In the video it was said that when the water level goes down, this gas will still be coming out. I find that highly concerning.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The bubble have been increasing. New ones are popping up. I got word that Dow Chemical may be involved too. I'm collecting info on it now and will be posting my findings soon.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Pardon my ignorance here, this is meant as an enquiry rather than anything else.........but wouldn't you expect to see bubbling from this type of event? Aside from all the trapped gases having an outlet, wouldn't new gases be constantly being formed by the reactions between the salt and water and other substances?

My thinking being that bubbling doesn't necessarily mean anything is getting out of hand - once the process of collapse had started i would have thought that this was an inevitable part of the process?

I know it doesn't help those affected by this but trying to be positive i would think there will be some serious regulation invoked on the back of this to ensure it doesn't happen elsewhere.

Stay safe Cajunboy, don't risk yourself trying to be our eyes and ears. If it looks dangerous, tell us to do our own noseying!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Here is the link to the latest Celestial Convergence update

From down the page a bit...

The latest flyover footage from the Assumption Parish officials, of the giant sinkhole shows oil surfacing in a new area, surrounding land now inundated.

And the two latest flyover videos...

edit on 12-12-2012 by happykat39 because: corrected bad link

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It seems that we aren't the only ones with a methane problem. While the authorities think there may be both pipeline leaks as well as underground deposits in Bayou Corne, the Boston leaks are almost all pipeline.

Methane Is Popping Up All Over Boston!

Graphs and such at SOURCE

Now researchers in Boston have given skeptics of the at-least-natural-gas-is-better- than- coal argument some additional ammunition.In Boston and many other aging cities in the Northeast, a maze of underground low-pressure natural gas pipelines are riddled with leaks.

Many of the pipes in Boston are more than a century old and are made of cast iron or in some cases even wood. While they are slowly being replaced by modern plastic pipes, only time will tell if these are truly more durable: many are designed to last only 50 years. Replacing just one mile of pipeline costs around $1 million.

Holy cow farts Batman, is the whole country going to blow up???

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Did i read that right? Wood?

I can't believe anyone ever thought that would be a good idea, even over a hundred years ago!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
In December 2003, the company Gulf South was operating one of there caverns Dow #5. Well, methane started bubbling up in Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou. The company checked there methane cavern and realized ALL of there methane had escaped. The cause was a well casing that ruptured and released all the methane stored in the cavern. How does Dow play into this you may ask. They drilled and constructed the cavern then sold to Gulf South after a few years of use. They believe some of the bubbling now we are observing may be a lot of that methane that got trapped in the dome.

Fast forward to 2012 with the sinkhole. We now have atleast 2 faulty caverns in the salt dome with more possibly compromised. Yesterday, the Dow Chemical plant located in Bayou Corne around 9 AM had a full evacuation with emergency equipment and everything. No word of what sparke the evacuation but I'll get it to y'all ASAP.

Here we have it Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have a third party to add to the escapade of finger pointing.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join