It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney on 47% comments: I was 'completely wrong'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Romney on 47% comments: I was 'completely wrong'

Mitt Romney said he was "completely wrong" when he argued that nearly half of Americans were "victims" and dependent on government.

The admission came Thursday as the GOP presidential candidate sought to clarify his controversial "47%" comments.

"Clearly in a campaign with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question-and-answer sessions, now and then you're going to say something that doesn't come out right," Romney said on Fox News. "In this case, I said something that's just completely wrong."

As predicted, the race to center now will take place.

The question I have is how many of the 'undecideds' will accept this explanation?

In my opinion, I think many of them might. As for the actual 47%...none of them.

But we knew that already.

Interesting week...that's for sure.

edit on 5-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Oh he said one thing last week and this week he is saying the opposite? So unlike him! Shocking! Flip flip flipper!!
Him and the other poor excuse of a leader both make me sick.
edit on 5-10-2012 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

I've come to believe 'flipper' accusations are COMPLETELY meaningless, given eight years of the Bush administration and four years of Obama.

If Obama wins another term, it will prove my point.

Apparently, we prefer Flippers-in-Chief.

Mark my words.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yes he was wrong,but he was also very arrogant.
If people can't see his arrogance (or Obama's arrogance) than they will get what they deserve come voting day if they vote him in.

I think the guy is transparent....I see through him,I am not sure why others don't.

The same applies to Obama.
Don't confuse arrogance with confidence.

I feel for you Americans this election.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This was a predictable move. He already explained that he wasn't getting his point across clearly. Now he knows that the next debate the 47% statement will probably come up so he is defusing it ahead of time. He's taking ammo away from Obama before he can use it in the next debate. Smart chess move.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Mitt is trying to preempt Obama from going after him on these comments for the second debate. Smart strategy even though it's hard to say if he is being completely honest.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
He wasn't "completely wrong", he completely got CAUGHT! He's a smart man and KNEW what he was saying to his wealthy compatriots, but it was his line for his audience. He had the number exactly right. 47%. He can't come back now and say he made a boo-boo. He knew JUST what he was doing.

And Obama's right. Romney is a fraud!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I will translate for everybody...

I DIDNT MEAN IT PLEASE PLEASE VOTE FOR ME NOW

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
As damaging as the comment was, it is the way he said it that is where the true damage lies IMHO. He sounded much more sincere when he said it than his apology or even when he is in front of a camera in general.

This man is a danger.
edit on 5-10-2012 by Terminal1 because: typo

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This man has talked out both sides of his mouth on guns, abortion, healthcare, immigration and who knows what he'll be flip flopping on next week. What will he flip flop on once he is in the white house?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89
I will translate for everybody...

I DIDNT MEAN IT PLEASE PLEASE VOTE FOR ME NOW

I DIDN'T MEAN FOR YOU PEOPLE TO HEAR THAT, PLEASE PLEASE VOTE FOR ME NOW
Sorry, just had to modify your statement a bit.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Let's not forget. Obama had his own 47% remark.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Mitt doing the flip flop shuffle. Why am I not surprised?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I tend to agree.... On the Right we have Mr Flip and on the Left we have Mr,. Flop. Together they describe a cheap, stinky thing made to cover my foot in the summer.

I'll say in this case Mr Flip managed to flop out words I haven't heard from Obama OR Baby Bush. He was WRONG.. Well,.. damn.. someone pinch me. It took a crowbar to get it out of Clinton way back...but it's simply not been physically part of the Presidential vocabulary at all for 12 long years now.... It's kinda nice to at least hear the words, even if sincerity is a valid debating point.

He also ate Obama's lunch and gave him the bill all at once. No getting around it and no amount of B.S. spin changes it. All Obama can do to get over that level of FAIL is to do exceptionally well in the next debate. Just average doesn't cut it..he's got ground to catch up just to break even after that wimpy showing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
you know, it is as simple as this for me...when the republicans are in power, 95% of americans gets screwed. i have seen it for decades by the legislation they pass, and enact into law.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Wow, I thought the etch-a-sketch comments were just a jab at Romney. But the many truly believes he is in fact an etch-a-sketch.

Sorry Romney, you can't do that. You can't state something so passionately and continuously and then just come out and say, "I didn't mean that".

This man will truly say anything and be anything to get a vote, disturbing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Oh please. He's about as sorry as the kid who gets caught with it's hand in the cookie jar. Not at all sorry they were attempting to take a cookie without permission, just sorry he got caught and is now fearful of the consequences of their actions. I would hope that this sorry attempt at "Oh gosh golly gee I made a mistake" will be seen through by the undecides out there. For this 'undecided' this is how I see it:

1. Even if this video had not surfaced the fact remains that he said it to begin with which points to the mindset of not only him but the folks sitting in the audience.
2. In the time between the release of that video and his supposed change of heart that he was "completely wrong" he stood by the statement by defending it in the media.

This is merely an attempt to deflect what he (and his camp) believe will be an attack in the next debate, as another poster has said. This way he can, with a straight face, say "I've already acknowleged the error of my ways" in the classic Jim Bakker-esque style.

Soooo, are we on a flip week or a flop week??

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

And the part of Obama's quote that you rarely hear? IN CONTEXT:

But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there’s not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. So it’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
I think what you’ll find is, is that people of every background – there are gonna be a mix of people, you can go in the toughest neighborhoods, you know working-class lunch-pail folks, you’ll find Obama enthusiasts. And you can go into places where you think I’d be very strong and people will just be skeptical. The important thing is that you show up and you’re doing what you’re doing.

He was speaking with compassion and understanding about those people - hoping to reach them and INCLUDE them, unlike Romney, who dismissively, went on to say that he doesn't care about getting their vote and that they'll never be convinced to take personal responsibility.

Let's go over Romney's comment in context, too:

"All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

"Cling to Guns" vs "47 Percent" Remarks

There is no comparison, when we look at both IN CONTEXT.

edit on 10/5/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Let's not forget. Obama had his own 47% remark.

The left likes to pretend that didn't happen.
Afterall .. only the right is evil according to them.

Originally posted by HostileApostle
This man will truly say anything and be anything to get a vote, disturbing.

They all do.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there’s not evidence of that in their daily lives.

Thats the problem....no matter who you guys get...nobody is able to do anything REAL for the American public because of political egos and money.
People are sick of that and the arrogance of these talking heads who preach on tv but get nothing done.

Well...maybe thats my issue.

I had hope for Obama...now i feel like an idiot for even thinking anyone of these talking heads gives a sweet poo and could do anything that was real and helped people in their daily lives.
edit on 5-10-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join