It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$5.00 dollar a gallon gas is back yay!! (NOT)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
IT'S THE TAXES people!!!!!! Gas in my neck of the woods is under $4.00/gallon.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I hate the rising fuel costs too but with the fed printing money like its going out of style...we will only see prices on everything continue to rise. I had read recently where Marylands Gov O'Malley wanted to raise fuel tax .20 p/gal to gain added revenue for guess who? Maryland, not oil companies. I guess most folks want the oil companies to do all of the work and receive exactly zero profit. Even if they did that it wouldn't help the government to not spend everything they take in.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Why do we have all this oil to export yet we import our own? What the hell?

Because they can charge more overseas for that oil. It's called capitalism.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6

In your opinion ma'am, do you think there is some sort of foul play in these refinery fire to cause the prices to go up?

A refinery 'fire' could be an imagintive observation of a person smoking a cigarrette on the grounds.

I wonder if they even happen at all. All four refineries in Long beach share the same fire response department. If someone could get the actual report from someone who was there I am sure that the story is much different from the facts.

BTW - Gas prices jumped 19 cents overnight. That big of a jump has never happened before.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
"Necessarily higher energy prices" Obama, is what is happening.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Maybe if the US had built a new oil refinery in the last 25 years we wouldn't run in to these mini-shortages all the time.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

No seriously,

I was reading a report about how wholesale prices are too close to retail prices and a bunch of shops are shutting down in CA, which in turn can change inventory, which messes with prices in CA. But elsewhere, they aren't spiking too bad (yet.)

FYI I'm buying a bunch of 5 gallon containers (already got a few) and Stabil, and going to try and horde just a bit, plus have some GTFO gas to put in the Avalanche bed in case something goes down.

Being in a fishbowl during shtf moments isn't my idea of fun.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Pretty simple why gas prices are climbing.

QE Infinity

The less your dollar is worth the more you have to spend for the same service/product. It has not really hit yet. We will all be at $5 a gallon next year and California will be approaching $7.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

Gasoline has a shelf life so you might want to reconsider hording it unless it's for a period of less than 1 year, less if you aren't using a well sealed container.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Gas here in Central Illinois actually dropped a little. We're at $3.68. I can't imagine $5.00 a gal, but I'm betting it will soon be like that everywhere.

$3.68
We are paying $4.19 in CT.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
The Historic rise was the precurser to get us used to $3.00 a gallon gas. So, when the fluctuations move to $4.00 its not that big of deal. Now, going from $.99 a gallon to $2.00 or even $2.50 was a huge deal.

And to help this persons post out a bit...

This goes a bit in depth on why gas is high.. and believe me its not cause we aint drilling in the sacred forests we aren't allowed to drill in..

::EDIT::

I thought is thread was one page I didnt look through all the posts..

ararisq said something about gas prices and the dollar, he would be right... I am going to star him because thats what this video is about.. It talks about the price of gas in the value of gold and dollar amount...
edit on 10/5/2012 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/5/2012 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I notice there are no replys from the UK, well, with about 4 litres to the gallon, and about 1.6 dollars to the pound, we pay an avarage of £1.40/litre, which equates to about $8.96/gallon, nothing new, been like that a while now, prices only ever go up. I'm thinking of getting a horse and cart, but horse feed is almost as expensive

So; look to see what your future beholds, and thank your lucky stars for cheap gas prices; for now.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
California is crazy! I have lived there before, but things seemed out of the ordinary. Now to be fair, my state is a basket case as well. Now don't get me wrong I loved the palm trees and sandy beaches, but the state that was once a pillar of progress and innovation is enduring its death gasp. It is really sad! California is shouldering a 16 billion dollar budget deficit.

State deficit estimate hits $16 billion

California's projected budget deficit has ballooned to $16 billion, much larger than the $9.2 billion estimated in January, Gov. Jerry Brown said, and he warned of more painful spending cuts.

Governor, Moonbeam better get his bean counters in order, because the natives are going to start getting restless with the taxes and these obscene gas prices. Five dollars a gallon is really pushing it! As some have pointed out, the hike in gas could be attributed to the tax on petroleum.

California's High Gas Prices Are Self-Inflicted

California's combined federal, state, and local gasoline tax is among the highest in the United States at 67 cents per gallon.

Highest gasoline taxes in the nation! I don't even wanna know what the taxes are like on tobacco, alcohol, and sales tax. Probably just as disturbing as the gas tax? What happened to all the benevolent caring politicians?

It looks like little Johnny and Suzie are going have subsist on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and ramen noodles so Ma and Pa can get to work. Oh the humanity! Excuse my levity about a serious subject, I know this pains Californians, but there have been a lot clowns getting elected running that state into the ground. Just like my state. The politicians can at least lower the gas tax, and find other means of revenue. That tax is like a insult to injury for people that already struggling to get by. Time for voters to get on the ball and start voting with the noggins, or the situation in California and elsewhere is going to continue its decline. In the meantime, there are other alternatives to aleviate pain at the pump.

edit on 5-10-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Congratulations for finally catching up to Canadian gas prices!!!

Agreed...yesterday I noticed the price of gas escalade up another 9 cents at the pump! Absolutely disgusting.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It was $3.63 here in Southern Ohio this morning, I saved $0.20 a gallon with my Kroger card, and it took $81 to fill up. 35 gallon tank on my 1990 G-20 Chevy. Still high, I can easily remember when 5 gallons of gas could be bought for $2. Sure am glad I started experimenting with HHO Reactors. If not for my reactor, we would have to sit home a lot more than we do.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Meh $5.00 gas in California whodaa guessed?

By electric!

Of course if one thinks about that spending 30 to 50k for an "electric car" that still uses fossil fuel as a fuel source that maybe saves someone around 3k a year maybe a tad bit more.

Or instead of going in to debt go buy some stock on Shell,Bp, whatever and bank the dividend to offset that cost of fuel.

Anyone can buy stock, to be able to profit instead of take a loss, but no big oil is greedy!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

A bike, or electric bike would be more suitable. You can get conversion kits on the cheap. I was thinking of starting a small business converting people's bikes to run on batteries a couple of years ago.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

If you ask me, the oil business is doing what it can to profit in the time it has to profit. In the next 50 years the oil business is going to shrink in its proportioned share of the economy.

The biggest reason? Changing consumer interest. Consumers don't want to pollute. I don't care if they find cheaper ways to drill or refine to market the oil or gas products. Pollution, pollution...

If they want to preserve themselves they need to clean up the pollution. If they can't find a cheap solution then they're going to lose a lot of ground. Oil will always be useful, though. There're some things that only oil can do at effective prices. But the pollution problem is a very big pressure.

Some people say it's all economics. That whatever is cheap sells. But the thing is, more and more people are against fossil fuels because of the pollution, not because of the price.

Please note there's a generation of kids brought up in our school system that were taught about AGW and about how fossil fuels pollute the planet. They'll be our policy makers someday.

Same thing applies to coal power plants.
edit on 5-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You can't look at California in light of wider national/international supply & demand.

California, because they're all so super-special and "green" etc, mandate a specific formulation for gas.

The rest of the country - the rest of the world in fact - might be swimming in excess fuel but California will still run out if it can't get enough of that fuel converted to the "special" blend.

I don't know how many refineries are set up to produce that special blend but, as California is the only state that uses it, I bet the number is pretty low. Even one of them going offline (or even temporarily stuttering, or there is simply a fear that it might stutter) has the potential to send California's unique supply & demand curve up the wall.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by sylent6

Some people say it's all economics. That whatever is cheap sells. But the thing is, more and more people are against fossil fuels because of the pollution, not because of the price.

They can say they're against whatever they want, but if you're in western civilization, you love what oil brings you.

How many people who say they're against oil, use at least a barrel of it each week? Nearly all of them.

The truth is that people aren't willing and/or capable of going green just yet. It IS a matter of economics. If viable alternatives existed right now, they would be used by some of these people. They don't exist. It's a matter of economics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join