It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create new element

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Scientists create new element

www.cbsnews.com

Scientists in Japan think they've finally created the elusive element 113, one of the missing items on the periodic table of elements.

Element 113 is an atom with 113 protons in its nucleus -- a type of matter that must be created inside a laboratory because it is not found naturally on Earth. Heavier and heavier synthetic elements have been created over the years, with the most massive one being element 118, temporarily named ununoctium.

But element 113 has been stubbornly hard to create. After years of trying, researchers at the RIKEN Nishina Center for Accelerator-Based Science in Ja
(visit the link for the full news article)

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I find the title to be misleading because it says they have created the element, but the first sentence in the article says they think they have created it so take it for what it's worth.

Here is how they synthesized element 113:

To synthesize element 113, Morita and his team collided zinc nuclei (with 30 protons each) into a thin layer of bismuth (which contains 83 protons). When 113 was created, it quickly decayed by shedding alpha particles, which consist of two protons and two neutrons each. This process happened six times, turning element 113 into element 111, then 109, 107, 105, 103 and finally, element 101, Mendelevium (also a synthetic element).

I'm no genius when it comes to this type of stuff but it certainly seems rather ground breaking and in my opinion may pave the way for a better understanding of existing elements, and maybe even allow us to figure out more about the remaining missing links on our periodic table.

There is a whole lot about our earth out there still left to discover.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Did Bob Lazar say Element 113 or 115?

Also, I had this thread all made and was about to press post but checked and you had it first

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I'm unsure about Bob Lazar and any elements so I can't comment on that with any certainty.

And it happens to me all the time (posting threads at the same time).

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Did Bob Lazar say Element 113 or 115?

yeah, this is exactly what my fist thought seeing to title or the thread so i googled it and this is what i found..

"Bob Lazar claimed that 115 was stable, but the scientists created 115 and it "rapidly decayed to Element 113"

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Lazar spoke of 115

that was just simulated a few years ago as well

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Yeah Bob said element 113....

We can haz space travel nau?

Probably not.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The element of surprise
sorry I had to

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Anyone have any comments about the new element and not Bob Lazar?

As the other poster mentioned Bob Lazar claimed to create 115 so it appears 113 has nothing to do with Lazar or any of his claims.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Also, with each of these elements, there are many varieties of them in isotopes. We can have certain elements that are unstable, but a variety of their isotopes can be stable .......which still leaves the possibility open for lazars claims

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Are you saying that if his claims of discovering 115 are true, then it destabilized into 113?

I can't see any other connection because his claims were about 115, not 113. If I'm wrong I won't get offended if someone corrects me.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Bob Lazar? Really?
That guy is probably driving around in a Honda Element, but other than that he's full of Crapotanium!

I guess my question is, what would be the purpose in creating an element that is unstable? Is it just for bragging rights? I'm sure that research money would have been better served in finding a cure for cancer or Aids. I just don't get how the world can throw billions at the questions posed by a few nerds seeking a Nobel prize while the real issues facing humanity are ignored.

Off soapbox now.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

I agree...this type of research always baffles me, sure it's interesting but grant money can be put to much better uses such as curing disease which you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong because I am all for scientific advancement so I do condone these studies, but I do wish our priorities were more logical. Curing disease should come before discovering things that "might" exist.

Since this discovery is in it's early stages my guess is that eventually they will be able to find a way to maintain stability and then continue to use this discovery to broaden their understanding on the physical and chemical origins of our earth and universe.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Wow. Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Don't get me wrong, not @ you CE, I agree that we should pursue scientific advancement. I am just baffled at how much of OUR tax money goes to fund projects that are not on the "front burner," if you will. I'm sure there is some awesome benefit from creating 113, but we have bigger fish to fry right now.

I believe that our governments are just handing out our TAX money to big businesses that in turn supply them with campaign contributions. I had better stop there before I get too off topic.

ETA: I'm pretty sure the periodic table only had 108 elements when I was in school. That seems like enough for me, but I did go to school in Arkansas... sooo.... we might have been missing a few.

edit on 26-9-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
For the record, Lazar never claimed to have created 115, just that it's what's being used to power the crafts.
edit on 26-9-2012 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If they are able to manipulate atoms this way, what's to say that future attempts couldn't yield many new elements, perhaps hundreds...

All elements from atomic numbers 1 (hydrogen) to 118 (ununoctium) have been synthesized.
Wiki

I'm surprised it goes that far. Maybe the key to interstellar travel and free energy is just a few elements away.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich931

Maybe the key to interstellar travel and free energy is just a few elements away.

Where do I sign up?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I may be late to the show and perhaps some other smirky respondent has already said something to the effect of "OK, but what about element 115? Bob Lazar promised us element 115!!"

Back on topic: Wow!.

edit on 9/26/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I was aware about Bob Lazar before posting this information, but I had no idea about his association with 115 so I was kind of unprepared for the comparisons. But yes, perhaps it is related, and any connections some members want to share are welcomed...but I am confident this is something totally different...but I could be wrong.

Good to see you this_is_who_we_are as always

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join