It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE POWER OF AN IMAGE...Manipulating the masses or How to sow the seeds of Revolution?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by abeverage

It was Martin Scorsese, the film director who said that a photograph is like reading one page of a whole novel. I think CNN is lying to make it appear that the protesters are destroying buildings. This was not like the London riots, looting and burning buildings. This is a protest just like it appears. Anti Austerity.

In the video though you can clearly see this man is guarding the people in the store from police. I say that because elsewhere in the video the cops have broken up the riot and are pursuing people they think might have been involved into buildings and even down into the subway. Some people just going about their business are challenged in a thugish witch hunt by the police. You can tell they are agitated and looking for suspects. Some they pass over, others are grabbed and rushed away.

Thats why I say that the store owner was protecting the people in his store. As the riot police gained the upper hand, the people fled and ducked into anywhere they could to get away. In more photos you see him in conflict with the police. They know some of the people in his store were part of the riot and they want at them. Just unsure how to proceed. The force was with that dude.

All that is conjecture though I guess. Except that none of his windows are broken and there is no glass or rocks at the mans feet in the OP's photo. If you watch the video you can see the protesters are not targeting shops or buildings, they are duking it out with the police in the street. Even the objects hurled are expedient, like chairs and water bottles; not rocks. Some stuff comes at the shop owner, but I think that the cops gathered in front of the shop were the targets, not the store.

The video actually does tell another story, I saw little damage being done by the protesters but did see police launching canisters...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
Here is the picture that the big boys dont want you to see, the REAL picture.

If you think next bar line is red, expect more riot.

Graph dont tell lie, pics do.

I'm expecting Euro to fall lower next few weeks, which is a respond to the PIIGS problem.

Oh btw, if you notice, I'm selling (on demo account), means, I'm with the big boys,
Sorry Spaniards and Greek peoples, just dump your government - my advice.
edit on 27-9-2012 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

What does this graph show?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

looks like he is trying to protect protesters from police brutality to me.

I agree!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Here is a picture CNN doesn't want you to see.

A restaurant owner is held back by a riot policeman as he reacts in anger at demonstrators throwing stones at his restaurant, after a protest against spending cuts and the government of Mariano Rajoy ended in riots around the Spanish parliament.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 26-9-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

Yeah. I realize that those people have something to be angry about but why on earth would a business owner support a private property destroying mob damage everything he has worked for in his life? Who would believe that?
I urge anyone who supports Occupy idiocy in this country to think about working really hard to create a productive business that you are really proud of and manage to (barely) support your family and to use any profits to help your children keep and achieve the same thing. Then watch as the government almost taxes you out of business to pay for people who don't work. Then you watch as those entitled, ungrateful brats hurl rocks at your business because of your success despite their theft of the fruit of your labors. Then you might realize how pathetic that movement is and how frustrated and justifiably enraged that businessman is.
Th mob is the enemy of any rational or morally just man.
edit on 26-9-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

Thank goodness the Founding Fathers did not think like you or we would all still be eating spotted dick.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

well, since most people can read, i would assume most people would access other sources of information, rather than relying on a picture, and/or making a snap judgement.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This was posted on the More than 100,000 protesting in Madrid, Spain - Surrounding/Occupy the Parliament (UPDATED), thread

Originally posted by discolo
reply to post by ObjectZero

This is a link to my local spanish newspaper,
the Judge Pedraz wants to charge all the people who have been arrested with more serious offences. thus bypassing the ordinary courts or just giving a protestor a warning for public disturbance. he wants to charge them with attempted murder etc. thus keeping them all locked up. And perpetuating the idea that the protestors were all a violent rabble. They want to make a new law that Anyone arrested at a protest immediately get a 5 year sentence.
Although there is not much available, what is available is danming stuff for the gov and police in the media.

The night of the riot we watched it on RT and RNE the main spanish channel, they had to show pretty much the same thing because the cops were whacking people everywhere the camera pointed.
But now on the telly they just keep showing the cop getting kicked as if thats what started it.

Ideal is pretty good as a paper though, Journalists here have more "honour" than most of the rest of the worlds media. particularly the press. It's a throwback to Franco. where they really had to watch what they said.
www.ideal.es... /batalla-judicial-sobre-imputacion-201209270020.html
edit on 27-9-2012 by discolo because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2012 by discolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The sum of all fears...

To become a MEME

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Maybe he just wants a High Five "C'mon don't leave me hangin bro"

edit on 27-9-2012 by Thescripter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thescripter
Maybe he just wants a High Five "C'mon don't leave me hangin bro"

edit on 27-9-2012 by Thescripter because: (no reason given)

Bump fists...maybe...high five, NO.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

well, since most people can read, i would assume most people would access other sources of information, rather than relying on a picture, and/or making a snap judgement.

Unfortunately we are still very visual creatures so we tend to make decisions based on what we see and less on what we hear or comprehend.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Where is the truth of what is really happening?

What you see on the image or what really happens is not as important...

What you feel within is it...

It shows you your very own mirror of what you are/think/love/hate/feel...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The video actually does tell another story, I saw little damage being done by the protesters but did see police launching canisters...

And rubber bullets. And launching four foot batons at peoples heads. I saw a demonstration, a peaceful demonstration where the police decided to mark a line and then kind of push a little until someone pushed back? Then the police use that excuse to pile on. What the police usually do when they show up in riot gear... incite a riot.

The descending graph represents the declining value of the Euro dollar.

The newspaper article calling for the arrest of the people involved and charging them with trumped up crimes so that they stay "locked up"? That sounds like what happened to a lot of people in US Occupy. They were held for long periods, charged with petty crimes and fined huge amounts. The media didn't cover that injustice either.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

And rubber bullets. And launching four foot batons at peoples heads. I saw a demonstration, a peaceful demonstration where the police decided to mark a line and then kind of push a little until someone pushed back? Then the police use that excuse to pile on. What the police usually do when they show up in riot gear... incite a riot.

The descending graph represents the declining value of the Euro dollar.

The newspaper article calling for the arrest of the people involved and charging them with trumped up crimes so that they stay "locked up"? That sounds like what happened to a lot of people in US Occupy. They were held for long periods, charged with petty crimes and fined huge amounts. The media didn't cover that injustice either.

Ah I got it. Seems the wealfare system here works too good. Even I can admit apathy from not worrying where a meal will come from. Of course by that point the frog has been boiled right?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You're the one who's being deluded, OP. I saw the videos of that situation, and the restaurant manager was nowhere near "extremely violent". It's the cops that were!

They were chasing protesters like violent maniacs all over the place, like they were on crack coc aine, and this restaurant manager was just a good guy doing his job defending his private business and the security of his customers! Cops have NO legitimacy to intimidate and brutalize passersbies, business ownsers, clients alike. Not even non-violent protesters.

Ur sooo wrong...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

You're the one who's being deluded, OP. I saw the videos of that situation, and the restaurant manager was nowhere near "extremely violent". It's the cops that were!

They were chasing protesters like violent maniacs all over the place, like they were on crack coc aine, and this restaurant manager was just a good guy doing his job defending his private business and the security of his customers! Cops have NO legitimacy to intimidate and brutalize passersbies, business ownsers, clients alike. Not even non-violent protesters.

Ur sooo wrong...

???...Did you read my post?

I said an Angry resturant owner not violent...please read what I wrote I am betting you agree with me...Especially the part where I say..."he is standing his ground against a riot police enforcer in a threatening pose."

edit on 27-9-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I think police brutality is just as bad as protesters destroying someone else`s hard earned property/business.
But yes photo manipulation can influence and project power, and of all times, the Soviets photoshoped Trotsky before IBM created their first electronic calculation machine.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Or maybe the owner is actually siding with the demonstrators and the creator of the photo is against the revolution.

Stop believing everything you read on the interwebz.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
CNN changed the caption.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Ah I got it. Seems the wealfare system here works too good. Even I can admit apathy from not worrying where a meal will come from. Of course by that point the frog has been boiled right?

You said it. Americans aren't hungry enough to pour into the streets yet. One day americans will feel the same pain as those under the Euro boot heel. Maybe they will have shed a few pounds by then.

Edit: I was looking for a link to something and I found this:

www.dreadscott.net...
edit on 27-9-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So what does everyone make of the people yelling "asesino" = "murderer" at the cops? What happened that is not being shown in the video?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join