It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE POWER OF AN IMAGE...Manipulating the masses or How to sow the seeds of Revolution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
With recent images of the Spain riots/protests one really caught my eye, is this extremely angry restaurant owner in the midst of a possible precursor to revolution protesting against corrupt government.

Please scroll the image if needed!

On the right image (that may be showing us more of the story) where he is standing his ground against a riot police enforcer in a threatening pose.

In the other he appears to be yelling at the crowd of protesters (note the CNN caption: A restaurant owner, with his customers behind him, shouts at demonstrators to stop throwing stones at his business.) but could be yelling at the Police...

Where is the truth of what is really happening?

We are obviously being manipulated with both of these powerful images! So are they meant to provoke and frighten us (Police State Enforcement)? Enrage us enough to act out? Or polarize us against the protests thus keeping us from joining them (the average small business owner defending against crazy mob riots)?

I for one do not wish to see innocents hurt or killed nor do I wish to see a revolution in Spain or here, or in any country, as I know the past (90% Revolutions result in a dictatorship). I hope for a meaningful and peaceful resolution. But what if that cannot be obtained any longer?

Even my own veiw is skewed! So could which story you believe in show how this story plays out in your city, state and country? Could it happen where you live? Should it happen where you live? And what side of the image will you take your stand?
Does either of these create anger or apathy in you? What is the agenda behind both? I am curious as to what you think ATS!

edit on 26-9-2012 by abeverage because: for spelling and clarity

edit on 26-9-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Do you see any broken windows? Any stones? Makes me wonder?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Two different pictures that tell two different stories...................Now take away the writing on picture number two, and the story changes drastically!

Amazing how a few words dubbed into a picture can change perceptions!

Nice catch!

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Link to the CNN article would be wonderful...

I will see if I can find supplements in the meantime

Watch a Café Owner Stand Up to Riot Police in Madrid

The owner of a café in the center of Madrid, Spain has become a hero of sorts and internet phenomenon after standing up to riot police and allowing protestors to seek refuge in his establishment. The incident took place yesterday, when thousands of protestors took to the streets to demonstrate against the government of Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.

The man, Alberto Casillas, tells Eco Diario that he saw the whole drama unfold near the Neptune fountain, when police finally charged protestors and people began to flee the scene. "I saw a boy who was being beaten up by the police — he was bleeding — and I went to help him," said Casillas, who let protestors inside his café. "I then stood in front of the restaurant and didn't let the riot police in." He also fed all of the protestors that had flocked to his business.

edit on 26-9-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Link to the CNN article would be wonderful...

I will see if I can find supplements in the meantime

www.cnn.com...

It has to make you wonder how far apart these images are taken. Is in the second image as I believe he actually angry with the Police? And either it was cropped or taken that way on purpose with the noted text!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Images are extremely powerful. Yes, I do believe the Media and others use them as terrible tools of manipulation. Many times, we are manipulated with imagery taken out of context. We respond as is predicted, only to find out what we "thought" we saw was not what was actually happening. Pretty scary stuff that the human mind and ego can be so easily manipulated with pictures and a few choice words.

I often use images to make a point in posts. I have never intentionally used something out of context. Most of the stuff I use has captions added or whatever to make the point...(I save a lot of political statement pics).

Here's is a couple I use from time to time to point out how the division of our country is destroying it. They are powerful "to me"...they might not mean a thing to the next person but for me, it helps me to sometimes say something with few words (and a picture is supposed to be worth a thousand words so ...it saves breath!)

I hope that wasn't off topic or a de-rail. I wasn't sure if you were speaking about those pics specifically or the use of pics in general to manipulate people's perspectives.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think it matters who he is yelling at.

The pictures tell me that this man is willing to speak his mind, stand his ground and says "Hey...this is mine! Back UP!"
edit on 26-9-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

hmmm yes there seems to be something askew... The CNN caption says he is telling protesters to stop throwing stones at his business, with "customers" behind him.

Yet this other article... says that he is protecting these people because of police brutality. He is housing them temporarily in his restaurant and giving them free food.

Curious, eh? Not so more... It is a shame that we all expect the media to lie.

Here is a video to watch, from the link I posted earlier:

4:19 has the business owner. Translation anyone? I have a chem lab in 20 minutes, I cannot do it at this time... there are Spanish captions

link   
Right and in the one without caption you see no crowds outside his restaurant to even throw stones. GREAT catch, fabulous thread.

link   
Ah but what if those "hiding" in his shop just moments earlier flipped over your can and set it on fire?

edit on 26-9-2012 by BrianG because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
And his storefront is messy, should get those young guys to clean it up

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Nice catch!!!!!

link   
As they say, a picture can tell a thousand words.

Soon enough, we will be having our close up with "police state enforcement" in america, if not already.

link   

Originally posted by BrianG
Ah but what if those "hiding" in his shop just moments earlier flipped over your can and set it on fire?

That is an interesting point. But what is a car compared to the loss of a life?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Here is a picture CNN doesn't want you to see.

A restaurant owner is held back by a riot policeman as he reacts in anger at demonstrators throwing stones at his restaurant, after a protest against spending cuts and the government of Mariano Rajoy ended in riots around the Spanish parliament.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

hmmm yes there seems to be something askew... The CNN caption says he is telling protesters to stop throwing stones at his business, with "customers" behind him.

Yet this other article... says that he is protecting these people because of police brutality. He is housing them temporarily in his restaurant and giving them free food.

Curious, eh? Not so more... It is a shame that we all expect the media to lie.

Here is a video to watch, from the link I posted earlier:

4:19 has the business owner. Translation anyone? I have a chem lab in 20 minutes, I cannot do it at this time... there are Spanish captions

FANTASTIC! Yes I want a translation this is one of those key events where you need to know more of the facts to make an informed decision! Well done! And thanks!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by BrianG

That is an interesting point. But what is a car compared to the loss of a life?

Angry mobs sometimes kill innocent people

Kids get shot for slashing a guys tires or even looking at a guy the wrong way

Have you guys seen what Vancouver can do when we don't win the Stanly Cup?

www.vancitybuzz.com...&w=650&a=t" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Here is a picture CNN doesn't want you to see.

A restaurant owner is held back by a riot policeman as he reacts in anger at demonstrators throwing stones at his restaurant, after a protest against spending cuts and the government of Mariano Rajoy ended in riots around the Spanish parliament.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

Again are we sure about what we are seeing...and from business insider? I am sure they have no agenda.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Those cops really look to be enjoying themselves! Notice how they run around and randomly beat people with sticks and occasionally shoot rubber bullets everywhere. It's chaotic, but they seem excited about it. Especially a particularly skinny cop running around all cool with a nightstick in that video. One ran into a building all ninja like and started shooting. They don't even care who you are, you're getting a beating!

edit on 26-9-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Always seek out a job you enjoy I have been told, so what does this say about them?

What I find interesting about his whole thing is there are what 20-30 police of them and 1000's of protesters.

Why I love a bugs life…(l know it seems off topic but here is a quote.)

Hopper: Let this be a lesson to all you ants! Ideas are very dangerous things! You are mindless, soil-shoving losers, put on this Earth to serve us!

Flik: You're wrong, Hopper. Ants are not meant to serve grasshoppers. I've seen these ants do great things, and year after year they somehow manage to pick food for themselves *and* you.

So-so who is the weaker species? Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's *you* who need *us*! We're a lot stronger than you say we are...

And you know it, don't you?

Perhaps it is time we all repeated this line…

Princess Atta: You see Hopper, Nature has a certain order. The ants pick the food, the ants keep the food, and the grasshoppers leave!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join