It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tech Giants Form Internet-Freedom Lobby to Counter MPAA, RIAA Clout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
what happens when one sector of the economy gets to much power to bribe/lobbie congress?

well you get PIPA and SOPA and the TPP (trans pacific partnership) style of legislation that enriches one small economic group at the cost of others.

the MPAA and RIAA are so powerful they can lobby for disastrous laws, which help their gate keeper style businesses alive, while destroying a much larger economic ecosystem.

because technology is "hard" and lobbying is "easy" these groups are pushing legislation to destroy the free internet
so they can continue charging "super high prices" instead of engaging the internet technology and supply vastly more customers at a much lower cost.

so because net tech is in the to hard basket, they have decided to attack the free and open nature of the internet, to prevent any losses in their "pre internet" business models.

this is more than just dollars and cents, they want to gut the free web to protect their profit margins,
you see anyone now can be a content creator, can blog and make videos and music and share this for free.

you want america to thrive? healthy competition, free markets, ?
then how can a small group of content producers threaten the free web?

BY SIMPLY PAYING CONGRESS TO DESTROY THE FREE NET TO PRESERVE THEIR MONOPOLY ON CONTENT CREATION.

you see if you use the net now these powerful lobby groups believe that to use the internet you must be under vast servaylence JUST IN CASE YOU INFRINGE THEM.

so the logic goes like this,
rather than compete in an open market that innovates and changes as tech does,
they lobby for policies that allow them to spy on you just in case you may harm them.

they dont even understand the net or how it works, and this is why they are dangerous,
they refuse to adapt and instead rely on a bought congress to protect their out dated models,
which rely in turn on spying to turn you into a suspect instead of a customer.

this is why this group is much needed

Giving the Justice Department the power to order internet service providers like Comcast and AT&T to block their users from visiting blacklisted sites would be unprecedented in the United States, though it’s a common tactic used in countries like Syria, Iran and China to clamp down on political dissent and adult content.

The non-profit lobbying group, unveiled Wednesday, is “absolutely” against SOPA, Michael Beckerman, the coalition’s president, said in a telephone interview.

“We’ll make sure Congress understands how [the bill] will censor the internet and greatly harm the infrastructure of the internet,” he said.

He added: “Our mission is to be the unified voice of the internet economy in the policy debates that arise.”

www.wired.com...

the internet as an industry is larger and more profitable than content creators realise,
they threaten the most open and free market in the world (internet)
and they cant compete so they turn potential customers to suspects and criminals

MPAA and RIAA "you are not bigger than the net"

you lack of understanding of the internet and ungodly influence on politicians is dangerous to us all

and to the free and open internet,

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
please note who is NOT joining the effort to keep the net free,

Apple, Microsoft and Oracle

so i wonder why apple is NOT supporting internet freedom?

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. It would be good to see which companies are supporting this lobby group so that I can show my thanks by supporting their products.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

in that case i can pull the list from their websight,
what do you think about the over reach of content providers?

Special thanks to our Charter Members (Rackspace, Softlayer, cPanel, and The Endurance International Group) who have helped fund our launch.
For more information about membership, please contact us.

A Small Orange

AiNET

Applied Innovations

Arvixe, LLC

Black Lotus Communications

Cheval Capital, Inc.

Cloud Marines

Codero Hosting

cPanel

Data Foundry Inc.

DiscountASP.net

Endurance International Group

FireHost

Fortress ITX

Gandi.net

Green Olive Tree

Handy Networks LLC

Hedgehog Hosting

iNET Interactive

Judah Johns

Jumpline

Koston Consulting

LuxCloud

Media Temple, INC

OnApp

Open Spectrum Inc.

Parallels

ProfitBricks Inc.

Rackspace

ServInt

SingleHop

SoftLayer

SpamExperts

Structure Research

Studio1337

Tucows

UK2 Group

W. David Snead PC

WebHostingBuzz.com

WiredTree

World Wide Web Hosting, LLC

Zachary McClung

i2coalition.com...

xploder
edit on 23-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wait... are you saying that this is like an intellectual property based steel cage match between media companies and communications companies???

Like a literal "Clash of the Titans"???

I cannot believe I am about to say these words... but... GO AT&T!!!!!!!

( Now will you lower my monthly bill and finally tell me what those 97 extra charges with arcane names are? I took your side yanno )

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Wait... are you saying that this is like an intellectual property based steel cage match between media companies and communications companies???

Like a literal "Clash of the Titans"???

I cannot believe I am about to say these words... but... GO AT&T!!!!!!!

( Now will you lower my monthly bill and finally tell me what those 97 extra charges with arcane names are? I took your side yanno )

~Heff

yep and by the looks of it the internet vote has till now been completely discounted,

The Internet Vote

Campaign strategists and pundits are always trying to predict the newest or most important political demographic groups. For a long time, it was seniors. That was followed by the dawn of the “soccer mom” and lately there has been a lot of talk about “NASCAR dads.” But the strongest untapped political factor these days is rarely mentioned, despite representing a force central to the lives of nearly every American — the Internet.

internetassociation.org...

so now we have the internet association and the internet infrastructure coalition working against "bat $%&* insane" legislation

so pandering to a few rich studio execs will be very bad in the face of the mounting coalition support and as internet citizens "push back"

these MPAA and RIAA guys are too dangerous to leave un-cheaked (politically)
and i for one applaud and support these groups that seek to bring common sense to the discussions

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I never thought I'd see it on ATS. People not only defending free speech, but supporting lobbyists! Looks like some people may have to rethink some positions.

(Yes, it's kind of off-topic, but my emotions got the best of me.)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hey Charles my friend.... read your Sun Tzu!

It all really does make sense!

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I never thought I'd see it on ATS. People not only defending free speech, but supporting lobbyists! Looks like some people may have to rethink some positions.

(Yes, it's kind of off-topic, but my emotions got the best of me.)

well i call it being pro active,\
we know the MPAA and RIAA is dangerously powerful and knuckle headed.
you cant approach the problem by ignoring how the political system works,

while i disagree with lobbying, it wont go away and currently only benifits a small powerful group.
this is how things are now.

when the tech comunity goes to congress "the other side" of these legislative changes can be heard

or else you get regulation for the sake of a small group

my favourite song on the subject

the politicians are even more clueless than the MPAA and RIAA

without a voice we risk the free net

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
There are some things you can do until we can get rid of these clowns completely.

Use HTTPS for every URL you go to so you can be sure your viewing an encrypted website. Use a tool like Https Everywhere for this. www.eff.org...

Use a VPN, Virtual Private Network. Everything you do through this network is encrypted so your ISP cannot see what you are doing. There are many good free and paid for VPN services. I use Spotflux www.spotflux.com... or VPNDirect Lite version www.vpndirect.com... Both are free, have unlimited bandwidth fast speeds. VPN Direct Lite lets you use torrents, Spotflux does not. Using a VPN will also allow you to access websites that are normally blocked by your ISP.

This will make your browsing a little slower but you should use the Tor Browser Bundle, www.torproject.org... (also free) first, then connect to your VPN This will give you extra security like having a double encryption layer.

These will greatly lessen the chances of you being hassled by the MPAA or RIAA because everything will be encrypted. Use all of these tools together for best effect. They would have to suspect you, (which would be very hard to do with all the encryption) then spend time and money to break the encryption to get more evidence on you ( something they won't be likely to do unless your hacking bank or military computer systems) , then request the logs from the VPN service or ISP to get the proof.

These are mostly for Americans or those in countries where using such tools are legal.
edit on 23-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

have you heard about crypto parties?
they are springing up worldwide,
with your knowledge we should do an ATS Crypto party,

teach people about saftey and security,
with links and feed back ect

you have a knack and should share it more

xploder

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

have you heard about crypto parties?
they are springing up worldwide,
with your knowledge we should do an ATS Crypto party,

teach people about saftey and security,
with links and feed back ect

you have a knack and should share it more

xploder

Thank you for your kind words. I have only been studying these things for a few months to be honest so I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject. I'm sure there are lots of network security analysts that could give much more detailed information than I could. I don't claim to know it all, but I can't resist sharing the things I do know - especially when I feel they are important and could help someone else.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

xploder

Because they wouldnt be worth 1 trillion if they did?

Sadly, this was typed out on a macbook (school issue).

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

xploder

One word, "iTunes".

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
they need a free internet.
so they can spy on you all.

unless thire are to many on the net!
then, they try to keep it low.

to many using the internet.
they can not keep up or spy on them all.

new topics

top topics

join