It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is a draft, what would you do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
your getting PAID to kill people...

whats better than this???

anyway i would be too scared to but that is not an excuss so i guess im screwed

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
your getting PAID to kill people...

whats better than this???

anyway i would be too scared to but that is not an excuss so i guess im screwed

Yeah but look how much you're getting paid. Like 2,000 a month. That's below peanuts. Besides, the chance of ending up in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag for life and never even being able to walk or have sex again, or worse, doesn't sound too fun. That's what'll happen if you take a few frags through your spine and gut.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by taibunsuu]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm 17 right now and will be 18 in January and if by some chance the draft was re-instituted yes, I would go and fight.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
i would have to agree with shadow, if our country is actually posed with a threat and needs to be protected then sure, but if were simply invading and occupying another country for more oil/power/etc. then no chance in hell

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm ex Aussie ARes....if it got that bad they called us up I think I'd have to go.

If I could find one personal rational and caring reason (not "goody legal killing, lets go") I would and damn political and popular arguments.

Otherwise I'd learn to play harmonica behind bars and learn not to drop the soap in general population.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Well, i live in canada so i guess some of you guys can crash at my house and stuff, i got a fridge of beer, and hopefully hockey will be back on tv (you will learn to love it) and hey drinking age is 19 so it will be fun.

If i where american, it would depend, i would have gone to afghanistan to look for bin laden, i would not go to iraq so bush can have his way with a personal vendetta.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I am too old, but I would go back in. Thing is, I have a college degree now, so I would go back in as an officer and not enlisted if I were somehow called up.

My advice to people who have kids around the age to be drafted would be to push them to get a degree so they would be commisoned rather than enlisted (higher pay for that and definitely "safer").

For those who are morally opposed to fighting, there are other options such as civil service slots, or doing jobs that are non-combat. If you are a conscientious objector you can still work in a hospital, run a supply tent, cook, whatever. It isn't all shooting and being shot at.

I proudly fought the war against tooth decay and plaque when I was enlisted
Of course I was also trained to do triage and set up field hospitals, but being dental was not exactly high risk (unless you considered some of the people whos teeth I cleaned had really nasty breath that was quite deadly).

There are other options besides running. Just throwing this out there.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by snagltooth
This question is stuppid. Let me ask it ths way. If you're an American, Thats who count's in this question. Would you go and fight the Nazi's to help our falling Euro brothers dieing from there bombs. We'll if you answer'ed yes, than you represent the 75% of the Americans who took up the call in WWII. If we would have listened to Ant-war cowards. The hole european continate would be speaking German.

Oh shut up, I am so tired of hearing that misinformed crap. I believe even the Germans are taught in history how it was the Russians who caused there defeat. I bet you think it was the US that captured the Enigma decoder too.

That does not mean the efforts of the US were GREATLY recieved and appreciated, everyone has thanks for their role.

As for the draft. I would be there if my country was invaded, obviously. But I would not agree to invading.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Patriotic fervour and fighting to protect your country from an agressive attacker is fine. However, being drafted to go and kill others to maintain cheap oil and other resources, making the corporations and their political lapdogs richer is NOT fighting for your country.

Does anyone really think that the career politicians and corporate CEO's that reap the benefits really give a damn about the death toll?
I'd sooner go back to walking or cycling than have people oppressed and killed just to keep their oil flowing to those that want to take it by force and control it.

Of course, if there were a draft I'd expect to see the children of the politicians and CEO's who pushed for it on the front lines as well (dream on)

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
As no human life is more worthy of living than another in my philosophy, I could not, and would not, knowingly kill another human being. So I'd probably end up in jail.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by AceWombat04]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
If there is a draft it should only be of families of people who voted for Bush.

Surely thats only fair, leave those who voted Kerry or somone else out of it.

Bush is the one that is completely against the draft. Kerry said the draft is a good backup for American wars. Besides the draft won't be reinstated because it would be a waste of American funds. The military today has too much technological training to give to people that are picked to use it for 1 year. Infantrymen today have more tech training than your average police officer. A draft won't be instated for any reason. Even if the US is invaded, there won't be a draft. It would just be a complete waste of money.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by FNG_J]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Even if the US is invaded, there won't be a draft

I disagree on that, I would fully expect there to be a draft if the UK/US was invaded. hell the amount of people willingly signing up would equal a draft

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
will I am 19 and live in north carolina so probably get drafted but there a cach i take medication and no good with a gun so i probably not going

[edit on 19-10-2004 by hughes28105]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
First of all, I live in Canada, and I know that if Canada was to bring in the draft, I'd have no problems with it. I 'trust' my government not to do dumbass things most of the time, and if a situation is grave enough to warrant drafting civilians, obviously there is something very important needing to be done.

Now in Canada, seeing as we have only, ohhhh, say 50000 soldiers, we can't really do much of anything when it comes to large scale open warfare. Our helicopters need 30 hours of maintnance for every one hour of flight (the old Seakings), and our F-18's have 2500 hours on them more than the US planes have when they out-source them or upgrade (and they have a habit of loseing rudders now and again). Not to mention our 'new' submarines we bought from Britian second-hand that we can't submerge because they tend to leak a bit, and catch on fire and kill sailors.

However, we do have an elite "special forces" unit (JTF2) which doesn't exist, but has be photographed taking pisoners in Afghanistan and I believe Iraq also, and handing them over to US forces (we don't want them). So with Canada mainly serving as peacekeepers, and the odd clandestine operations by our non-existent "special forces"... the chances of a draft here, if a huge war breaks out, are pretty good.

But like I said, I think that my government and most governments of nations such as ours, wouldn't enstate such a drastic measure unless absolutley nessecary. So damn right I'd go.

As far as letting deserters into the country as refugees? We seem to let anyone stay these days. War criminals, terrorists, people we know nothing at all about because they come over with no ID, packed into containers with 50 other people with no ID... we let them all stay, so why not. I don't think they should, but the Liberal government will probably let them.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
If there is a draft it should only be of families of people who voted for Bush.

Hah, that sounds like a plan

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If there were a draft, I'd fight.

why?

Because it would mean the US has been either been invaded, or much of it devestated by enemy attack.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I just turned 18 not even 6 months ago, and 2 weeks after my birthday a selective service card was sent to my door. That gets me a little nervous when there eager for me to sign up for the selective service. But I dont believe we have lost enough men to insitute a draft. How many soldiers did we loose in Operation Desert Storm? I do believe we are on call, but i dont think theyll need to draft us anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If there were a draft (assuming for the current conflict) I would organize an underground group to blow up a bunch of draft offices (unihabited) and then head down to Mexico and disperse to separate countries around the globe. I�m quite partial to Switzerland.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I've done my bit for King and Country. 101st Airborne and ten years as a cop. However, I would get my game face on and join the Marine Corp!

Service equals citizenship!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by XX_Mouse_XX
I just turned 18 not even 6 months ago, and 2 weeks after my birthday a selective service card was sent to my door. That gets me a little nervous when there eager for me to sign up for the selective service. But I dont believe we have lost enough men to insitute a draft. How many soldiers did we loose in Operation Desert Storm? I do believe we are on call, but i dont think theyll need to draft us anytime soon.

Don't worry - you have to turn in your service card by law when you turn 18, or be faced with up to a $200,000 fine (at least when I turned 18). Honestly, there will not be a draft. The Military doesn't want one, and the people don't want one. And when enough people don't want something that makes the politicians act accordingly or they loose their cushy jobs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join