It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is a draft, what would you do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What would you do if the USA did institute a draft and you were, or are one of the "lucky" ones that would be part of that draft? Would you happily go? would you try to get out of it somehow (medical reasons, education), or would you run off to Canada or somewhere else like was done in the Vietnam era?

Just curious to what the thoughts are down there.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Canada really isn't an option as they have an agreement with the US.

Myself? At nearly 30 I believe I would be considered to old, but to answer your question I would never murder for someone else's reasons.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
well with all the border control i think its a bit too hard to hop it...

i sure as hell wouldnt be going, either through refusing or staying in school for along time, but unfortunetly u can be drafted in school im not sure how that law works though

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well,

My son is 19 and says he won't go "because it is a stupid war, I'll go to Canada." That's my boy Zack. That magazine salesman didn't fool him

And there is a deserter from our Military in Canada now, he has a lawyer and is challenging the pact that USA and Canada have. He is seeking asylum.
The Borders are still very porous and either one could be crossed easily, after all they are trying to stop incoming. Outgoing would be simple. But don't go south there are more Al Qeada there than in Iraq

I thought of going for awhile. Then when I watched the invasion and the quick rush to Baghdad, it reminded me of Custer's Last stand
Except in Iraq it seemed a little more like a spider's web as we, the fly, flew in with no way out.
The Baghdad Web.

TUT

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
well if the draf is put in place then I think Id go and fight. I understand that people are afraid and think going to war is stupid but I really would die for my country. Even if Im on some stupid ass mission in Iraq Iran whatever. I love my country enough to where I would do and die for them on what they told me. Unless we had some stupid ass whos sending us against really bad stuff.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
i reckon it will depend how much money your parents earn,if theres ever a draft in the uk,my 2 sons can join the houses of parliament regiment,alongside tony blairs sons

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This question is stuppid. Let me ask it ths way. If you're an American, Thats who count's in this question. Would you go and fight the Nazi's to help our falling Euro brothers dieing from there bombs. We'll if you answer'ed yes, than you represent the 75% of the Americans who took up the call in WWII. If we would have listened to Ant-war cowards. The hole european continate would be speaking German.

When a country steps up and attacks us. Look for the draft.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If there is a draft it should only be of families of people who voted for Bush.

Surely thats only fair, leave those who voted Kerry or somone else out of it.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I would have to hope they provide internet access in the prison I'll be staying in.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Mabey if the germans did not accept the call then ww2 would not have happened.
this time we are the aggressors.
soldiers are the cause and soultion to wars, i dont see how any c**t can claim to be pro war.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

If Kerry became President and there was a draft, I am sure those who voted for him would still want those who voted for Bush to be drafted.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Last I heard, Bush said there would be not be a draft.

At the same time you got democrats proposing a draft bill, and only democrats voted for it.

So the way I see it the draft is a democrat issue, not republican.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Then I should be absolved from paying any tax increase instituted by John Kerry's administration in the unlikely event of his election to the Presidency.

I won't vote for him, so leave me and my money out of it.

Conservative Monkeys, not just for less government and lower taxes anymore...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I do, I feel a draft!...Must be that porous border.

If you don't want to be drafted, don't sign up to be drafted.
Here is a way out of it, if you are persuasive.
www.military.com...

The penalty for NOT signing up for selective service?
up to 250,00 fine, and 5 years jailtime

If you signed up...I think you are legally obligated. I guess you could run and hide in another country, a lot of people do apparently.

Be prepared for a Draft if JFK wins the election. To fill up those combat boots that go unused. The Soldiers and Would-be Soldiers already know what Kerry thinks of them...I doubt they will continue to "work" for THAT C.I.C.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
There are young men already going to Canada to avoid being sent over to Iraq. Being a vet I would find it hard to go to another country to get out of going to Iraq. I do believe that the government is lying their asses off as to what is happening there. I also believe we went there for the wrong reasons. The problem is we are there now and we just can't walk away. We have to stay and finish things out. Even though we shouldn't have gone there in the first place. As far as a draft goes we may not need one as long as Bush doesn't get us into more sh...... imo

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Being too old and gay to be drafted,
I would laugh at all the arm-chair tough republicans with the shocked looks on their faces,
I would feel badly for all those who were intelligent enough to see how stupid Bush & his crew's actions were, being forced to support the government's mental illness.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm fairly convinced that the draft would be reinstated ONLY out of necessity. Things would have to get much worse than they are now. Also, when it does eventually happen, I seriously doubt that it will even matter which president is in office.

If I am still young enough by the time that this happens... before it actually passes and they can draft me, I'd join the air force (if I haven't already joined) lol. My chances would be far better that way.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by veritas93]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think it really depends on what was the reason for the draft. If it was a US attacked by another country I wouldnt have to be drafted I would sign up. Or if they made a draft to protect our borders because we were attacked by people slipping through the border and we needed to shut it down.

I would really depend on the reason for me.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zach
well with all the border control i think its a bit too hard to hop it...

You can cross that border with map and compass quite easily.

I'm too old for draft and already served.

If I did get called up I would go. Been there, done that, no biggie to do it again.

If I had a draft-age child though, I would get him out of the country immediately. No way in hell would a kid of mine fight in some piece of # country like Iraq for some dumbass politician for no good reason if he / she didn't want to.

TCR

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I've already served and been discharged, and at 33 I'm probably above the draft curve. That being said, If drafted I would go. No chance of any other action on my part.

I respect other people's choices, but that would be mine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join