It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Mag to Publish Cartoons of Prophet Mohammed on Sept. 19th.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hi.

abcnews.go.com...

Boy oh boy the French are out to piss off the entire world or so it seems. First the pics of the princess and now this.

A French satirical magazine is set to publish several cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed on Wednesday, a move that is likely to inflame the Islamic faithful and militants who have already rioted in more than 20 countries over a movie mocking the prophet.

The magazine “Charlie Hebdo” has confirmed that it will publish the cartoons, but has not revealed what they will depict. French newspaper “Le Monde” reports that some of the cartoons show the prophet in “particularly explicit poses,” without providing any further detail.

French government ministers have criticized the magazine’s decision and police in Paris have stepped up security around its offices.

So on the plus side it may take the heat off the U.S. but then again who knows. Should be interesting.....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yeah, why not throw some more coals on the fire..........................then we can all burn quicker......Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.....................

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It is adding fuel to the fire so to speak but:

Every group of people gets "picked" on. There are jokes and opinions about every religion, every race, gay people, straight people, fat people, skinny people and so on. Sometimes the jokes/opinions are in poor taste, sometimes they are upsetting but no one is immune. And throwing a tantrum of global proportions is not going to get people to stop "picking" on you, if anything it will just get people "picking" on you more.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I seriously don't understand what joy a publication get's out of publishing stuff like this especially with the current ME situation over the film.

Like are they TRYING to insight outrage and riots and people getting killed?

didn't the media learn its lesson after South Park made fun of Mohammed and someone nearly bombed Comedy Central HQ in times square with a failed truck bomb?

That said, the conspiracy theorist inside of me says this all smells AWFULLY fished and orchestrated to me... and wouldn't be surprised if this was part of a larger scale "planned" event.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Yeah, everyone gets picked on, but not everyone kills people every time you mock their deity!

+38 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Every American who backs free speech should be behind actions like this.

The call for censor ship simply because one group wants to oppress the free speech of others using violence needs to be fought when ever it happens.

I may not agree with whats being said, but I will fight and die for their ability to say it.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

C'est la dumbest thing I've heard in a long time......

Des

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AJ1123TKE

Yes I understand that but ultimately the violence is on the head of those who commit the violence. I support free speech and always will.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Bull. Just because I CAN say something, doesn't mean I SHOULD.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

i do agree on the free speech note, but i'm sure you admit, that this is a scenario in which the right of free speech truly yeilds a double edge sword.

if it were up to you, would you say something to push people closer to war/death just because you free speech says you could?

i don't know about you, but i'd like to promote peace, not push buttons

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Given the current climate, this would be seen as antagonistic.

They should at least wait a week or so

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abbby
reply to post by benrl

And whose decision is it what you can say, there in lies the rub.

Is it the angry mob outside, or is the rule of law, Here in the US its the rule of law.

Not the vocal minority who seek through violence to oppress, but you go ahead and bow to anger and violence of the mob.

I for one will not.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AJ1123TKE

Oh I most certainly agree it is a double edged sword in this case and I personally would not choose to exercise my free speech in this instance however I can not condemn the magazine for choosing to publish the cartoons because I believe that it is well within their right to do so.

I see where you are coming from though, I really do.

link   
But will Muhammad have boobies?

link   

Originally posted by magma
Given the current climate, this would be seen as antagonistic.

They should at least wait a week or so

Really....what are they doing. Competing with the U.S. for most hated Country in the Middle East....

Going for sales, and notoriety, at the expense of possible harm to human life....

Des

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I was under the impression, France has a rather large Muslim population, do they not?

Ought to be interesting.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
No, the whole world won't be upset.....it's not bothering me.

The extremists are the problem, not the ones exercising their rights.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

According to us courts.gov, "freedom of speech does not include:
-to incite actions that would harm others,
-to make or distribute obscene materials"

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

reply to post by benrl

And whose decision is it what you can say, there in lies the rub.

Is it the angry mob outside, or is the rule of law, Here in the US its the rule of law.

Not the vocal minority who seek through violence to oppress, but you go ahead and bow to anger and violence of the mob.

I for one will not.

I get what you're saying, it's the principles of what WE believe in as Americans, and what THIS country was founded on. It's not about the decision of what you can or can't say, or who gets to "decide" that. Patriotism at it's core, and i admire you defending that.

But the world doesn't have any obligation to adhere to or honor our ego-centrism and liberties as Americans -- and certainly, they don't.

The issue here is humility, and not using one's social reach (via the media) to instigate further violence.

In FACT, in this instance, if you say certain things to this particular group of people, OTHER people will likely get killed.

You want that on your conscious?

It's like my mother used to tell me, "it's not What you say, but how you say it... and sometimes it better not to say anything at all"

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

According to us courts.gov, "freedom of speech does not include:
-to incite actions that would harm others,
-to make or distribute obscene materials"

Yea and its reasonable immediate danger, as it yelling at a mob to attack someone and go lynch.

You are not responsible for the unreasonable actions of others, attacking because of a cartoon falls under that.

Nice try to try to twist the law though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join