It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Illustrated Field Guide to Internet Kooks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Very interesting thread OP.

Can I ask what motivated you to make this now?

Like I said, I've been fascinated by kooks since the 1970s and the other day I thought it might be amusing and useful to put together a partial compilation of some of their attributes (not all attributes, of course, and not all kooks, either.)

Your comment on "don't believe me, do your own research" is also interesting.

However, that statement, I think is one we should all adere to, no matter the circumstances, even if it's something that "cannot be proved" such as galactic travelors.

As I said, it's a good personal practice, but overuse or over emphasis generally indicates that the claims being made are supported by self-referential, ambiguous or nonexistent evidence.

Its great to be able to hear from a member who is familiar with the history of the internet, however, you your self have not really made any factual commitments, you have just offered your own conclusion based on assumtions.

Except that I'm not sharing any conclusions, simply observations.

And I never said I'm not a kook, lol.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

In your OP you opened stating that you are a Software Engineer; This to me is an admission of kookism--did you ever wonder why the early web (and Im refering to just web; not telnet, gopher, et al) was full of kooks? its because it was us kooks who bothered to hard code ugly HTML pages of nonsensical content. Apparently because normal people had better things to do in the 90's.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Nobody mentioned now ex-felon John Melvin Davis
a.k.a."Gunkid"???????????????????????

his famous "tactical wheelbarrow" and his debarked "watch chihuahua"?

John Melvin Davis is well known among internet gunnies as Gunkid, Hardin, Andy, and a hundred other pseudonyms he would use to disrupt gun forums. Gunkid was the inventor of the assault wheelbarrow, the advocate of a "debarked" Chihuahua as an alarm system, and a .223 fired from a 10" barrel as the ultimate weapon, which he claimed was useful up to 300yds, but only when used with a suppressor because Gunkid had a severe flinch when shooting without one.

He liked to allude to his magnificent IPSC shooting career. There are no records of his exploits. However, there are complete records of other competitors scores, shot in the time frame he claims to have been a competitor.

xavierthoughts.blogspot.com...
edit on 16-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Current incarnation of the Prophet Elijah (who also was arrested for credit card fraud, lol

Sad thing is, the guy behind Spirit Science actually believes that this guy is Thoth ... lol

Seraph

ETA: oh lol, you found out the details about him through my Pastebin ... nicely done, sir.

edit on 16-9-2012 by seraphnb because: emoticon

edit on 16-9-2012 by seraphnb because: ETA

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Too much to read and look at in your thread...got a headache after seeing the vast quantity of literature presented...will take time to read bit by bit...sounds interesting to read though

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

You know nothing of The Cassiopaeans, 'the scientific mystic' Laura, looks at everything she does objectively, doesn't try to make anyone believe anything, but conducts her 'experiments' with 'Super-luminal' communication with an objective mind.

Other then her, your list is quite the laugh. But I disagree with painting her with the same brush as the others. I don't want to derail the thread defending that site but please do a little more than read the first two paragraphs of their website.
edit on 16-9-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

Well dang... I remember when the Spirit Science videos first started coming out, I really enjoyed them.

Guess nothing good lasts forever. Who'd of thunk that 'Thoth' with all of his eternal wisdom would get arrested for credit fraud.
edit on 16-9-2012 by ddaniel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Funny stuff here, but man if you're gonna give a shout out to freakin Geocities then you gotta give one to Angelfire!!

P.S. I like the Kooks, they tend to make the world a lot more interesting - and who knows, a few of them might be telling the truth..

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
While there have always been kooks a-plenty online, YouTube provides me entertainment previously unheard of!
YouTube comments are a glorious e-testimonial of civilization's decay. YouTube supplies a wonderful, absolutely never ending parade of kooks, dullards, dunderheads, weirdos, pseudo intellectuals, pseudo artists, (pretty much pseudo-everything) and super-idiots.

Where else can one comment that The Pussycat Dolls should change their name to
"The Idiot Skanks With Absolutely No Talent", and receive a death threat within 15 minutes?
God Bless YouTube!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I wish you would do a thread on ATS kooks, that would be funny!

I remember being on a thread about how simpsons predicted the end of the world XD

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Man, it makes my head hurt just looking at some of those excerpts you have at the bottom of your post. I seriously don't know how you have the mental constitution to have this as a hobby. But thanks for posting, I guess...

I bore witness to a kook once at a very legitimate scientific meeting, that of the American Geophysical Union. The guy had on a very big, heavy-duty rain slicker, which looked like it had drool on it -- seriously. He got up during the Q&A section at the end of a talk by a very prominent theoretical seismologist and just went on a very long and incoherent spiel, which involved some theory of physics he had written a treatise on. The speaker did an amazingly graceful job of trying to be polite to him, but ignoring his insane question and the session somehow continued without further incident. I was afraid the guy would go seismic (analogous to going postal) on the speaker or the crowd.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

I'm not 100% sure because i didn't finnish reading your post, but I think this thread qualify under your guidelines to be an example of a internet kook in a dictionary.

But it is a very funny thread,

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Cook with an awful web design

But that hair is epically awesome

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

How could I forget angelfire... tripod... did tucows have hosting??? ok, I cant remember any other free hosting from back then but it was a long time ago and a lot of brain-cells have been lost in the meantime.

This thread is going to give me nightmares about tables for layout and alt tags displaying in the status bar

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

The internet definitely makes the worms crawl out of the woodwork. It's a good outlet for people who can't function in the real world. If you wanna meet the dregs of society, spend some time in the 'net.

Cute avatar by the way.

edit on 17-9-2012 by Nightwalk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Great thread, S & F.

I got another kook symptom for you, every time someone mentions any scientific proof these kooks label them as CIA/FBI/NSA dis-info agents.

And if if there's anything that remotely looks like a pyramid the kooks scream 'NWO!!!'

edit on 17-9-2012 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

You know nothing of The Cassiopaeans, 'the scientific mystic' Laura, looks at everything she does objectively, doesn't try to make anyone believe anything, but conducts her 'experiments' with 'Super-luminal' communication with an objective mind.

Other then her, your list is quite the laugh. But I disagree with painting her with the same brush as the others. I don't want to derail the thread defending that site but please do a little more than read the first two paragraphs of their website.

I had my fill of Cassiopean bunk during the Comet Elenin hysteria. Funny, she seems to have deleted all that material from her website. For a closer look at Laura, please read this:

www.jayweidner.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

One of the kookiest of the kooks is Sorcha Faal. Self described as anything from Jesus incarnate to (insert ego tripping name here). This person writes some convincing stories that are made up of a thin shell of truth to sell the big lie within. A discussion board I used to post on had anything from this person on the not allowed list. There was some speculation that it was a female Russian disinformation agent, but that was never proved. For some expert fear mongering follow the link in the first sentence.

Posting "information" provided by Sorcha Faal is also not permitted here. Here is an interesting thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join