It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happiness - what happened to you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

Originally posted by Expat888
wealth... fame... material things are all meaningless... we come into this world we bring nothing with us... when we leave this world we take nothing with us ... life is meant to be lived... live it...

I know it's a bit simplistic, but I look at my 4 month old baby girl, and she is so excited and happy with life; and I'm jealous.

This simplistic way of life looks so enticing!

often the best way is the simplest ... children always happy as they enjoy life ... experiencing all they can without making everything far more complicated than it is ... when go to the nearby hmong villages I watch the children play .. sometimes even join in on their games .. its sad children go off to svhool they lose the wonder of the world and life .. end up being forced to conformity and a life of unhappiness... hope make sense.. english not my native language..

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
So you are in the pursuit of happiness, right?

So what is it about you, and those people who are happy, that is different?

A rich person can be happy, a bum can be happy...

A child can be happy most of the time but miserable in school, and there are some children who are happy even in school.

Have you ever met that goofy person who always have a major problem in their life but they are always laughing at it, and if it were you, you know you wouldn't be able to handle it?

So what is my point?

It is not the circumstances that's making the person happy (although they could), it is the actual PERSON that's choosing to be happy.

Like I said, even children who you say tend to be most happy, most hate school but some find a way to be happy even there, so it is the person not the place (events)...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
So you are in the pursuit of happiness, right?

So what is it about you, and those people who are happy, that is different?

A rich person can be happy, a bum can be happy...

A child can be happy most of the time but miserable in school, and there are some children who are happy even in school.

Have you ever met that goofy person who always have a major problem in their life but they are always laughing at it, and if it were you, you know you wouldn't be able to handle it?

So what is my point?

It is not the circumstances that's making the person happy (although they could), it is the actual PERSON that's choosing to be happy.

Like I said, even children who you say tend to be most happy, most hate school but some find a way to be happy even there, so it is the person not the place (events)...

That is a good point - but what if a persons situation makes it difficult to find peace and contentment?

EG: I work in an industry which handles large amounts of money for my clients - therefore it's a highly emotional and stressful industry. My role as MD means I have to be involved and handle any issues which arise = continual state of stress.

I'm in the process of removing myself from this, against the advice of every single person in my life (apart from my wife), as they see the business as a hugely growing concern which is very highly profitable. We are selling at a reduced rate (ie the buyer has snagged a bargain), simply so we can remove ourselves from this environment.

Not an easy thing to do.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

It may not seem easy, but its very simple. If something is causing you to stress or suffer, find a way to reduce it whether it is by being more optimistic or taking action.

It may not seem easy if you haven't done it in a while, or if you feel it is a huge risky problem, but as you keep doing it, it becomes easier and you learn to trust your heart.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Happiness is not something to be in the pursuit for.

Happiness is not something that is attainable with social/material comfort.

Happiness comes when you don't expect it to come. Happiness flows when there is no flow, it is simply enjoying your very existence. That very moment the moment you begin to be still in the moment. Is the moment when happiness arises in affection to your realization of it. Happiness and all emotions is something that occurs inside. And Only Inside will you able to change/become/be Happiness.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

reply to post by nimbinned

How does one strive to return to the joyful state?

By leaving the ego mind, or every day mundane consciousness.

Your baby is teaching you this now. Outside of physical yearnings, babies and small children only know joy.

Meditate, don't analyse or judge. simply sit with the silence. breathe slowly, feel the space around you. There are many ways to return to source.

* Ned

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

As our society progresses through the decades, our life gets easier - we have all the modern conveniences we could possibly want. Running water, aircon, cars, iphones, computers, luxury food, a literal world of information at our fingertips.

But are we happy? I would emphatically argue a resounding no.

Hmm...why do you use the word "we"? I'm happy

I, myself, am not generally happy. Sure, I am successful, and I have a great family and friends - but if I ask myself, truthfully, at any given point, "Am I happy right now?" the answer is generally no.

Why would you not be happy...as you say your life is?

This is because my life revolves almost solely around work, to generate money, to buy those things that the MSM insist will make me happy.

Money for me just happens...it is not what makes my life happy... I will say that the lack of money can lead to unhappiness, but abundance of money doesn't necessary lead to happiness.

I buy these things, and then scratch my head and wonder why I'm not happy? Surely, having the newest iPhone, a shiny car, a big house, and wads of cash should, by all accounts, plaster a massive smile on my face, and have me skipping through my day.

Well that might be one peice to the pie...

Truth; I'm stressed, overweight, unhealthy, and unhappy.

And then I'm even more disenchanted because I feel GUILTY for not being happy - surely there are people much worse off, so why should I complain?

Do you make it a point to improve your life EVERY year? lose weight one year and get into shape, learn new skills one year, I think a big part of happiness is constantly improveing one's self, and that doesn't mean a bigger 401k.

We are at a turning point in society - there are enough of us now who have "achieved" success in the main stream, only to realize it's a complicated, enshrouding lie.

MONEY DOES BUY PROVIDE HAPPINESS!

It's the simple things that an average person might not get to experience that is happiness...and it is different with everyone.

SHHHhhhh the secret to happiness is having choices and having the ability to ACT on the choices you most desire.

Having money doesn't create happiness BUT it does give you the ability for choices, and the lack of money LIMITS choices and so limits one's happiness.

You my friend have not acted on your life choices and so are not happy. A billionaire who has not acted on the choices he has available to him will be unhappy too. As I said those choices are different for every human being.

edit on 13-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nimbinned
Meditate, don't analyse or judge. simply sit with the silence. breathe slowly, feel the space around you. There are many ways to return to source.

If I do that I just get sleepy.... lol

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SparkOfSparks6
Happiness comes when you don't expect it to come. Happiness flows when there is no flow, it is simply enjoying your very existence. That very moment the moment you begin to be still in the moment. Is the moment when happiness arises in affection to your realization of it. Happiness and all emotions is something that occurs inside. And Only Inside will you able to change/become/be Happiness.

I'm pretty damn happy when I sit outside drinking 18 year old scotch and smoking a fine cigar watching the stars come out and talking about the fundamentals of quantum mechanics with my 12 year old son...where does that fit in all this?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

OK...Question...what are all Particles of Mass comprised of?
Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Split Infinity

Waves

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
How about this...

Life is meant for joy and woe,
and when this we rightly know,
threw the world we safely go,
joy and woe are woven fine,
a clothing for the soul devine,

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Split Infinity

Waves

OK...waves of what exactly? Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I will answer my own question.

All Particles of Mass...Protons and Neutrons...are comprised of Quantum Particles such as Quarks, Leptons, Gluons, Mesons...etc. These Quantum Particles exist as both particles and Waveforms.

So everything that is Matter is made up of Quantum Particle/Waveforms.
Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
We control our emotions, not the other way around. Too many people forget that.

I'm happy because i choose to be, regardless of my surroundings.

I know, it sounds like nonsense, but it really is that simple. If you want to be happy, you will be.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Happiness is Biochemical and there are numerous variables that determine Happiness.
Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Is that you Lt. Data? Shouldn't you be making sure the Enterprise doesn't crash?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7

Is that you Lt. Data? Shouldn't you be making sure the Enterprise doesn't crash?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Your post made a lot of sense.
Can you explain what you mean by...

Depression can be summed up as resistance and escapism. ?

To put it simply, we become depressed when we resist various aspects of our lives; you can resist your situation, your social status, your sexual orientation, the cards you've been dealt, etc, and feel miserable, or you can accept yourself, flaws and all, and feel content. Resistance is stagnation, acceptance is moving forward; that's probably the easiest way to put it.

Escapism is stalling acceptance, it is also stagnation because you are not growing as a person if you do not face the wounds which pain you in life.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I believe the world was a happier place, not that long ago.......

I cannot pinpoint the time the actual world went sadly depressed, but I will have a guess and say it was around 10 or so years ago......

Since the development of technology and people striving to get something they don't really need due to the indoctrination of in your face advertising, the world has quite rapidly declined into a selfish, self centred and backward community. Nobody seems to smile, nobody really says hi in the street as you walk by and everyone seems to be hunched over a little box in their hands with twitching thumbs.

Everyone is striving to gain objects they don't even need, just because their friends have things they feel that they have to have them also. In one way that is great advertising because it gains profits for company's, but on the other hand it has made the worldly community so dumbed down and the lack of intelligence shown by people you meet is so sad.........

Maybe this is what the powers that be, such as the government etc wanted to happen, I don't know, but I know that the world was once a great place to live, it seemed so much more relaxed, people had time to talk to each other, nobody sat on a train/bus/tram looking at a little box twitching their thumbs, people actually sat and spoke to each other in the manner that we are supposed to do.....

I for one are so happy that I was born in 1965 and grew up when I did. I feel the sadness of the world pressing down on my shoulders and the frustration that people show on a daily basis.......

If I was asked today if I wanted to live forever, then I can honestly say that I wouldn't. I have enjoyed my time growing up, my younger days and getting to about 35 years old, but the last 12 years I have just felt the decline and the negativity bestowed upon us through the media channels so overpowering and such a shame.....

I feel sorry for the future generations, I really do...............

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join