It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: For heart health, fish oil pills not the answer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmysinger

I began taking fish oil a little over a year ago and soon after switched to krill oil at my doctor's advice. I take about 25 various vitamins, supplements, hormones, minerals, etc.. daily

Fortunately most of us are not that ill!!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by jimmysinger

I began taking fish oil a little over a year ago and soon after switched to krill oil at my doctor's advice. I take about 25 various vitamins, supplements, hormones, minerals, etc.. daily

Fortunately most of us are not that ill!!

How do you really know? When is that last time most of you had a comprehensive blood panel done that shows what you may or may not be deficient in?

I went to the doctor because I'd convinced myself that I had low testosterone (like in the magazine ads). However, it turned out I had all kinds of deficiencies and imbalances that were causing issues. I can honestly say that before that, I felt that I ate pretty decent and felt pretty healthy overall. (it has been 3 years since my treatments ended). I know for certain that my diet was as good or better than most of my peers, almost no alcohol intake, non-smoker, no recreational drugs, etc... and I'm 5'8" and weigh 150 lbs so I don't think anyone would consider me overweight.

Yet, to optimize my blood serum levels (on a pretty decent diet), I have to take all kinds of supplements, vitamins, minerals, etc.... The difference is that I know, because I take regular blood tests, its not speculation or because 'I can tell a difference'...

ETA: I think I should mention that it takes the effort to optimize my serum levels, NOT to keep them in the normal range of the population in general. In order to be in the normal range, it would take much less supplements. However, the 'normal' range is big and there is a vast difference between high normal and low normal. My targets are the optimal levels and I recognize those too can vary from expert to expert...

edit on 12-9-2012 by jimmysinger because: added details

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

With the typical American diet, most people don't realize that they are extremely deficient in several very important vitamins. Even if you skip most supplements, you would be amazed the effects of just taking high daily doses of vitamin C.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
My understanding of Omega oils is that they assist your joints - that is why I take omega in among my array of 11 daily vitamins. I have never taken it to stave off any illness but purely to aid my ligaments and tendons. I believe it helps as I can still exercise and stretch quite well.

Much Peace...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by Achos

Is krill oil easily available ? I've never heard of it ?

No.
Whale oil is better.
Especially if it's from baby whales.

Save the krill!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Two words Phage....

Seal Oil

They're cute but no one ever really gets up that north anyhow.

Fetch me my seal club!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I personally have been taking fish oil daily for the last 4 years as well as glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamin b-complex, saw palmetto, billberry, milk thistle, vitamin c, and your everyday multi vitamin. I also drink about 2 ounces of unpasteurized clover honey from a local bee keeper, and about a gallon of water per day... I have not had any vaccines in the last 5 years, and I have never once in my life gotten a flu shot... Ill tell ya this I havent been majorly sick in about 5 years. Since Ive started eating better, and giving my body what it needs daily, occasionally ill get a little stuffy/runny nose but thats the extent of it and its usually gone in about 2-3 days. Where as my friends and family arent on a supplement regiment along with their daily diet. They tend to get sick more often and will still sick longer. I mean lets face it eating fast food and the occasional salad isnt going to give your body what it needs, eating right today wont help you today, itll help you tomorrow, and the better you take care of your body when your young they better itll take care of you when youre older.

The big pharma companies are only trying to discredit supplements because they are only trying to line their own pockets with your money. The medicine industry as most of you know isnt in business of curing people, they only merely treat symptoms to prescribe drugs thatll take the edge off, then because they havent fixed the problem it forces you to come back to get more RX drugs.... its a scam and a bunch of BS. The best way imo to go is honey, water, milk, and a simply daily vitamin. You can take more supplements/vitamins if you wish to increase your over all health. Your body will only absorb what it needs and itll pass the rest through the urine. I've never heard of someone getting sick because of vitamins as long as they take them as instructed....

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Just my observation here, but several of these posts talk poorly about big pharma,

yet,

your taking pills, supplements, to cure and prevent your ills.

Hummm............

Starch pills?

Capsules?

Still sounds like big pharma, or how about big supplement pharma?

Eat right and well and why in the world would you need any of this?

Omega 3's are important and can be found in fish, nuts, radish sprouts, flax seed, and many more foods.

Here's as good place to start SelfNutritionData

My nutritionist instructor in college pushed these supplements. It would be interesting to get her take now on the change in thought.

Here's a good question. Who sponsored the original studies to say that fish oil was good for your heart? Who sponsored the new study that says it doesn't benefit your heart?

Maybe we have a big pharma-big supplement pharma clash going on.
edit on 13-9-2012 by froglette because: bad typing

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Being alive for a long time causes the body to age.
You can eat whatever you want but nothing will prevent your breakdown.
Once you reach the point of no return you are just going to carry on dying.

Realize that people won't stop dying, and stop caring what help's longevity.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My boats not big enough for harpooning baby whales ! I'll try the krill !

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Right! But most of all, the fishy oil omega 3, was all about Brain Growth and functioning and it contributes to bone structures and joints as well. And flushes the organs, gall bladder, liver, from toxins. Not to mention I don't believe this study about the heart.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Olive oil is a heavily Greek commodity.

The Greek economy is in trouble.

Math, anyone?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

We have to help the greeks get their economy rolling, eat more imported olive oil, it's so good for you. I really don't know any greek people myself. I guess I'll just eat butter.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If you really want a healthy diet, you should diversify.

By spreading out the diet you should be able to get everything your body needs.

Usually I follow my cravings as they are generally indicators of what types of chemicals I need. But I urge caution as I anticipate that many people's cravings can be considered 'over-the-top' in a manner of speaking, and if anyone falls under that category they should probably temper their cravings instead.

Point is though, the more diverse your diet the better off you will be.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Please let me add a small tidbit worth noting:

...Based on a review and analysis of previous clinical trials...

In the world of research, this is known as "meta-research." A team of "experts" reviews the research of others, culls out the facts they find relevant, and make a judgement that is a synthesis of all other research.

When the results are announced, it is never quite clear, nor even revealed, exactly whose research they used and whether their methodology for preparing and analyzing the data was actually compatible. This is a common practice in three or four major industries -especially for the purposes of lobbying. It allows for almost anything to be found...

Remember?:

- "No conclusive evidence that cigarette smoking causes cancer..." - Meta-research
- "No indication that vaccines cause long-term averse damage to the body or development of children..." - Meta-research
- "the negative effects of fracking on water quality is minimal and can be "mitigated"..." - Meta-research"
- "Exhaust from vehicles in frequently congested metropolitan areas is not a health threat..." - Meta-research
- "Organic food is no better than GMO food...." - Meta-research

The idea that fish-oil contributes to a longer and healthier life comes from the properties of the substance... notice they are not claiming that omega-3 fatty acids are not good for you. Only that "Fish oil" is over-hyped.

The disingenuous nature of the social engineering is insulting. And that it is all based on 'expedient' interpretation of disparate sources in the name of consolidated chemical empires is downright anti-social... as is anything that promotes profit over reality.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I have a serious oily fish addiction at the moment, nut's to longevity, the stuff tastes damn good.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I was going to start taking it but haven't yet. Not that I need it but I figured it wouldnt hurt to take it.

However, like someone else posted in another thread, nutrition and healthy eating is the way to do it. The more natural stuff you eat, the more energy and vitamins you are putting on your body. I'd rather eat salmon or tuna any day instead of popping pills.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by chasingbrahman

We have to help the greeks get their economy rolling, eat more imported olive oil, it's so good for you. I really don't know any greek people myself. I guess I'll just eat butter.

Butter is strongly encouraged by Greeks.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The SAD (Standard American Diet) is terrible.
Omega 3 will help with your body.

But not if you continue to eat trash. Legit. I will be making a thread on a good 'diet' here soon, more like a lifestyle change that i am starting
, you guys will like it.

But seriously, there is no point in taking omega 3 if you eat wheat/flour/grains and anything with sugar in it. Eating two slices of bread is like taking a syringe of pure glucose and driving it into your system.

Wanna know why there is an obesity/chronic weight related illness/diabetics? Because the SAD that you are all told is good for you, is wrong.

Calories-in/out doesnt work for most.

Note: Butter is good for you
NoteNote: The conspiracy is that medical committees and panels (and all that) are being paid to push terrible food onto the american public, any public for that matter. We are fat because someone wants to make money off that.
edit on 13/9/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/9/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This ties into the Illuminati plot to reduse the world's population down to a manageable 500 million. They sell the public some bs nonsense that certain foods and additives are good for them and everyone buys it. They tell you something good for you is bad for you and something bad for you is good for you. Kinda reminds me of how hucksters were hawking bottles of turpentine back in the 1800's as a "cureall", people would drink it and die. Yeah it cured them alright, deaths cures all diseases that ail you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join