It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: For heart health, fish oil pills not the answer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Every person requires specific nutrients in their bodies unique to that individual. No two people, except for twins, has the exact nuritional needs.

People think if they take one thing or another it will fix their bodies and promote longevity, but the real key is listening to what your body needs and doesn't need.

People are laazy, thus the rise in popularity in fast food.
edit on 12-9-2012 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Don't call it "fish oil" call it "fake oil" because thats what it is..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I`ve been taking fish oil everyday for the past 6 years. I can`t say for sure that it is doing anything, I haven`t noticed any obvious changes but i figure it`s cheap and since it`s natural it can`t hurt me so i`m going to keep on taking it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Achos

How do you know it is fake?

I take a salmon oil complex that includes krill and sardine.

I noticed improvements in many aspects as soon as I took it (not mental placebo effect) and also notice the deterioration in a few aspects when I do not take them. Any form of Omega 3 with a proper diet is beneficial, you don't need fish oil because flax oil works good too but don't get the gmo stuff.

Fish oil is higher in EPA and DHA though.

It's not fake, just saying.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

I'm afraid not. We see how data can be manipulated though, so even if I had proof it could probably be countered.

I started taking fish oil because I had high cholesterol and I've since lost a lot of weight. I haven't had it checked again since I've lost my weight but it would be hard to prove anything even with that data since there are so many variables.

It's hard to say if my results are purely from the fish oil or any other changes I've made over the year but I always say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JayTaylor

I also lost lot of weight and my yearly physical exams always show level balance of "good cholesterol" versus "bad cholesterol". High cholesterol also runs in my family so it's worth a try, and as you say it's rather cheap to purchase so why not?

I find if you take some before a heavy night of drinking with your pre-meal you have a better chance of not feeling like a zombie in the morning

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It is fake because fish don't produce the oil itself, krill does. Anything else is a hoax.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Basically this study took 60,000 people in the last 20 years and concluded that Omega acids won't keep you from dropping off at randoms times from sudden death, heart attack, stroke, etc.

(Actual study from JAMA, below)

jama.jamanetwork.com...#

However, that doesn't mean Omega fatty acids are not beneficial or relate to your health in some other way:

doctorellisor.com...

Cardiologists from the University of California, San Francisco, and other hospitals measured telomere length over five years in 608 patients who had coronary-artery blockage and previous heart attacks. Researchers found that people with high levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their white blood cells experienced significantly less shortening of telomeres over five years, as compared with patients with lower omega-3 levels.

Telomeres are the part of your DNA that has been thought to indicate longevity. Generally as people age their telomeres decrease in length. The thinking, therefore is that if taking omega-3′s can be shown to decrease the decline of the telomeres, then they decrease the decline associated with aging as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

It is fake because fish don't produce the oil itself, krill does. Anything else is a hoax.

It's not fake because fish accumulate the oils from what they feed off. You will still find Omega oils in fish (as well as a lot of other crap) but calling it fake is uncalled for.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

How do you know it is fake?

I take a salmon oil complex that includes krill and sardine.

It's not fake - he's just a loudmouth - probably with shares in a krill oil company!!

He is correct that fish do no produce Omega-3 and so the oil from them is oil that is accumulated from them consuming prey - but it is still oil it is still from fish, and it is still fish oil.

Wiki on fish oil
Wiki on krill oil

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It's not fake - he's just a loudmouth - probably with shares in a krill oil company!!

With his logic vegetables are fake too because they get their nutrients from the sun, soil, and water.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

And it does seem he is pushing the krill agenda.

I've never seen a krill shill before

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I take the omega 369 and i can feel a big difference when i do.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
They've been manipulating data for decades.
Still trying to find a link between saturated fat and heart disease.

Me? I keep taking my vitamin C, anti-oxidants, krill oil and other supplements.
And eating steak with the fat [and as good quality as I can find, ie NOT corn-fed], butter, eggs and other yummy foods.

Free radicals and oxidized stuff in your body is the problem.....
As well as frankenfoods, and sugars, and highly processed starches and oils.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
No amount of fish oil, astaxanthin, Vitamin C, resveratrol, selenium, ubiquinol, etc... is going to overcome the poison in a BigMac and large order of fries...

I began taking fish oil a little over a year ago and soon after switched to krill oil at my doctor's advice. I take about 25 various vitamins, supplements, hormones, minerals, etc.. daily and also have my bloodwork done about once every couple months to in order to 'optimize' my blood serum levels of everything I take.

If you name can name it, I think my doctor has me on it. I had cancer in 2008 and the chemo screwed it all up for me. So now, in an effort to get somewhat back to normal, this is what I'm trying....

Anyway, the benefits from Omega-3 isn't in question. However the people taking the pills aren't seeing the same results as the people actually eating the fish and seafood. Well, no #... If you are eating a typical crappy American diet and loading up on krill oil, should anyone expect any miracles? Of coarse the people that are actually eating healthy and getting their Omega-3s through their natural (healthy) diet will see better results.

The way I see it is that you need to eat as healthy as possible anyway, and then take the supplements on top of an already healthy diet. Anybody taking supplements in order to overcome the negative aspects of an unhealthy diet is just wasting their time.

No amount of fish oil, astaxanthin, Vitamin C, resveratrol, selenium, ubiquinol, etc... is going to overcome the poison in a 3 piece combo meal from KFC...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by Achos

Is krill oil easily available ? I've never heard of it ?

I don't know where you live but In the states it is easy to find. I buy it at CVS and they have the store brand which is cheaper. It costs about $18 for a bottle of 60 and you only need to take one a day.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Instead of taking fish oil, why not just eat fish once a week. Friday fish fry is a common practice. just go out for fish and enjoy the evening. Got to eat anyway.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I take Krill oil along with many other supplements and they definitely make a noticeable difference. Considering all the junk that's allowed in most American food, i wouldn't put it past anyone to make false claims to make cheap, natural remedies look bad/useless.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by toolgal462

Honestly paying a few extra dollars makes a big difference. Most of the generic brands and even name brands you can find in places like CVS are pretty low quality when tested. I order most of my supplements through TriVita.

Edit: The only big name brand i ever buy is Nature's Made.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Bodhi7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

There are four necessary saturated fats. Two are in butter, one in coconut oil and the other in meats and eggs. Of course there are a lot of other saturated fats but these are ones that supposedly need to be eaten. You can get the one in coconut oil from caviar or sperm whale oil also. Save the whale, save the sturgeon, eat a coconut, it has the same mystica oil. The coconut oil tastes good when used to cook popcorn, then add a little butter and salt
Secrets of the movie theater exposed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join