It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: For heart health, fish oil pills not the answer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Study: For heart health, fish oil pills not the answer

www.foxnews.com

Omega-3 fatty acids, found in oily fish such as sardines and salmon and once touted as a way of staving off heart disease and stroke, don't help after all, according to a Greek study.
Based on a review and analysis of previous clinical trials including more than 68,000 participants, Greek researchers whose report appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association said the fatty acids have no impact on overall death rates, deaths from heart disease, or strokes and heart attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/13/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: title to same as source

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Is anyone else getting tired of having these major medical announcements come and go over time, only to find out that bulking up on one product or another will NOT change your health?

I can think of a half of a dozen times in the past 10 years when we hear things like this, only to find out later that, oh well, I guess we were wrong.

Here are a few:

Vitamin C
Red Wine
Eggs
And Even Beer

Frankly, I am beginning to wonder who to believe and who not to believe!

You can't argue that it is Big Pharma pushing this, as supplements like Omega 3 would decrease the use of statin type drugs in most cases, or we were lead to believe so.

So who is pushing this agenda? Health freaks?

I am back to eating eggs. Lots of eggs. Man has been eating eggs for as long as they have walked the earth.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Here's a great vid that I found really informative on the very subject you're talking about. link It examins a lot of the techniques that are used in making these claims, misrepresentation of data, bending of statistics and sometimes outright deception (like throwing out any study that disagrees with your claim and then reporting that 100% of studies agree with you)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Don't take fish oil, take KRILL oil. SO called "fish oil" doesn't actually come from fish but it comes from the krill they eat. Krill oil is the purest form with ten times the amount then "fish oil" and there is NO fishy aftertaste..

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It seems like natural remedies get shot down more and more often in favor of patented medicines.

I've been taking fish oil daily for about a year now and have noticed huge positive changes in my health. I don't care what those 'studies' tell me, I'll continue taking it based off my own results.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
According to this article it's oil in pill form doesn't work, but getting it from fresh fish does...

The message Americans may not want to hear is that eating healthy foods, not taking pills, is what helps heart health, says Richard Karas, director of the preventive cardiology center at Tufts Medical Center in Boston.

Study: Fish Oil Pills Don't Prevent Heart Attacks

That foxspews article seems to say the opposite?

edit on 9/12/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayTaylor
It seems like natural remedies get shot down more and more often in favor of patented medicines.

I've been taking fish oil daily for about a year now and have noticed huge positive changes in my health. I don't care what those 'studies' tell me, I'll continue taking it based off my own results.

Fish Oil is rubbish, don't take it.

Krill oil is what your looking for.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Why do people expect any one thing will make or break? Synergy of nutrition is key...

Look into "Quark"...our bodies use omegas with other nutrients...oils protect...they are not likely to do much on their own. What was the rest of the diet made up of for the participants?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Omega 3s does not promote total longevity, only promotes healthy brain growth, because our brains are 2/3 fat membrane.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Achos

Fish Oil is rubbish, don't take it.

Krill oil is what your looking for.

Fish oil is Fish oil...rubbish is your comment...

Please be a bit more forthcoming...the poster said he has had success and you tell him its bunk...LMAO...ok man...

ironically your name reminds me of anchovies and fish oil...
edit on 9/12/2012 by Drala because: Chuck Norris said so...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Achos

Well as I said, I've had great results with fish oil so I don't personally think it's rubbish.

I'll look into the krill oil though, I'm nothing if not open minded.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Is anyone else getting tired of having these major medical announcements...?

Frankly, I am beginning to wonder who to believe and who not to believe!

So who is pushing this agenda?

Yes.

It's called codex alimentarius.

It's not a good thing despite their pretty website:

This is why there is such an attack on vitamins and minerals.

edit on 12-9-2012 by pianopraze because: forgot link

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's all snake oil.

Even if you eat a crappy diet the most you should need for supplements is a single multivitamin daily.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Achos

Don't take fish oil, take KRILL oil. SO called "fish oil" doesn't actually come from fish but it comes from the krill they eat. Krill oil is the purest form with ten times the amount then "fish oil" and there is NO fishy aftertaste..

Yup. Did the Krill oil ... because of what you mentioned.

However, the oil is still the same concept -- which, we don't know if it works or not!

My MD, who I have trusted for 23 years, had me on the Omega 3 / Krill kick. So he, an educated and experienced MD, was also sucked into this funnel of useless research info!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Have you any empirical evidence such as reduced cholesterol/triglyceride levels from blood tests to back that or is it just a "feel" good thing?

I mean, my blood levels went down too, on the Krill oil, but was it because I was consciously watching what I was eating, or was it because the oil was working...

Makes you wonder?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Achos

Is krill oil easily available ? I've never heard of it ?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Drala

Fish do NOT make omega 3, this is a common mistake. Krill make omega3 which the fish eat, Krill oil is the purest form of omega3...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I mean, here is another example I experienced.

I have been eating Bryers brand Yogurt...with fruit on the bottom, most of my life. Its the only brand of yogurt that I liked.

They then went and put Omega 3 oil in the damn product. Made it taste like crap! If I wanted fishy yogurt, I would eat fish and yogurt!

Just venting.

Anyone else experience this? Adding DHA to food products?

And on a side note, makes you wonder why Coke uses Aspartame when everyone knows the stuff is poison! Why not switch to Sucralose? Pepsi does....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by Achos

Is krill oil easily available ? I've never heard of it ?

No it never used to be, but now people are hearing about it more and more so it is starting to gain popularity. Krill oil has so many benefits over "fish-fake oil".
Just ask at one of your local pharmaceuticals I'm sure they stock it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Over the last few years they have come out and said that vitamin D is not as helpful as they say, vitamin C is not as healthy as they say, other things too and now it's fish oil.

All studies can be manipulated (I'm not exactly saying this one has for sure) but this sounds like more codex alimentarius propaganda to me.

No offense OP but I have been expecting more and more "studies" like this one to start popping up. Just in time for the winter too...

"Don't take your Omega 3's but here take this vaccine"

Blah, maybe I'm just offended because I take fish oil every day

I will look into this study in more detail and perhaps provide some more insight on the results.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join