It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we send satellites to space with balloons?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I was just reading up on this a bit, a rocket engine launched from outside the atmosphere would indeed work more effectively.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Just realized something else as well...

Because the Rockoon or whatever is closer to space there would be a thinner atmosphere. That means less oxygen if my brain is working correctly. That means possible more power needed to make up for the smaller flame or combustion chamber (again, no physics expert so correct me if I'm retarded).

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by powerdrone

No doubt, the awesomeness and intelligence of this kid is very respectable
props to him.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by powerdrone
Just realized something else as well...

Because the Rockoon or whatever is closer to space there would be a thinner atmosphere. That means less oxygen if my brain is working correctly. That means possible more power needed to make up for the smaller flame or combustion chamber (again, no physics expert so correct me if I'm retarded).

Thoughts?

That's the difference between a rocket and a jet. The jet uses atmospheric oxygen to combust the fuel. A rocket carries its own oxidizing agent like liquid oxygen or hydrogen peroxide or possibly tetraflourohydrazine.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Teenager captures out-of-this-world space photos with £30 eBay camera

I have no idea if the link will work but I tried!
edit on 12-9-2012 by Katharos62191 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

Aaaaahhh. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Well before we judge let us ask Joe

He just gave an interview on NPR and I've read about the project before it is worth a look.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Although a balloon, alone, would not be able to carry a payload to orbit, you could launch a rocket from a balloon, as in the aformentioned Rockoon, and have the rocket insert your payload into orbit.

As to the concern expressed about the difficulty of controlling a balloon, and thus the rocket launch; what you do is simply replace the balloon with a high-altitude Airship!

I'm not talking about your average, everday "Blimp", here either.

I'm talking about a full-size, heavy-lift, extremely high-altitude (say 75,000 to 100,000FT altitude) purpose-built, fully re-usable, airship-based launch vehicle.

A powered airship, at 80 or more thousand feet altitude would be well above a large portion of the Earth's atmosphere; virtually immune to winds and weather, and the detremental effects of aerodynamic drag inherent at lower altitudes, due to a much denser atmosphere.

Low altitude airships are already in development with designs that list payload capacities far in excess of the largest cargo planes - and which approach the capacities of freight trains and ocean-going cargo ships.

Why not "Aim High"?

I have some interesting ideas for a High-altitude launcher!

Note: This thread is about the feasability of using a balloon (or Alternative method of lauch) to place Satellites in Orbit, Not usings balloons to carry cammeras to extreme altitudes,

There Is a Difference!
edit on 12-9-2012 by Bhadhidar because: Denying (perceived) Ignorance

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join