It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My giant turtle mystery!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
O.k. that picture is pretty cool i admit.

Can you give us the coordinates in google earth?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Thanks, but I'm not comfortable giving out the coordinates at this time. The landowner is not too happy with trespassers (as I found out when I met him), and I know that crops are terrible this year so if anyone went stomping through his fields before harvest I would feel pretty bad.

My hope is for this place to be made available to the public permanently, but I don't quite understand that process yet. It's all more complicated than I had imagined it would be.

I won't be going back there myself until harvest is over. Might be a fun place to stop by for our annual ghost hunt ride. Haven't found a ghost on our hunts yet, but we sure have a lot of fun scaring eachother!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niecedenise
reply to post by Niecedenise

What I mean is that this place is quite rural and everyone knows everyone else for the most part. Grew up around his family
Not trying to make wild claims.

Where is it like what State is it in or Do you know the Tribe Nation that lived there already ? Just wondering Which of my Brothers made that.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hermit777

The only known tribes would be Sac and Fox. Those would be the names given to them by whites I believe. Unfortunately, there really weren't any survivors other than maybe some who left and others who married white men. The last of them, if I understand correctly, tried to cross the mississippi to meet with another tribe. They were told not to by the "authorities" and when they started across anyway they were all shot. Men, women, and children. All of them! It broke my heart when I read that, and I don't get how we could ever be so stupid. Just look at the culture we lost!

I've always been told that one of the local natives married on my maternal grandmother's side and would be one of my great-great-grandparents (maybe more greats?). I do wish there was still a living tribe around here. How awesome would that be!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
These are my personal thoughts, but I think the tribes who built some of the mounds would have been around much much earlier than those who were kicked out/killed by the settlers. There have been artifacts found dating back thousands rather than hundreds of years. The archaeologist told me, when I asked, that those items would be still at the university now, but only some on display. I am going to ask if there I would be allowed to see the stuff that is not displayed. Seems like it should be allowed right?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

The only known tribes would be Sac and Fox. Those would be the names given to them by whites I believe. Unfortunately, there really weren't any survivors other than maybe some who left and others who married white men. The last of them, if I understand correctly, tried to cross the mississippi to meet with another tribe. They were told not to by the "authorities" and when they started across anyway they were all shot. Men, women, and children. All of them! It broke my heart when I read that, and I don't get how we could ever be so stupid. Just look at the culture we lost!

I've always been told that one of the local natives married on my maternal grandmother's side and would be one of my great-great-grandparents (maybe more greats?). I do wish there was still a living tribe around here. How awesome would that be!

Sac or Fox ?
ok i need to know the state we are talking about those names are White Man's names and are meaningless to me.

The Miami ? The Western Shawnee (Not very nice actually) ?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I want to say, algonquin? That could be wrong. Midwest, mississippi valley area.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I want to say, algonquin? That could be wrong. Midwest, mississippi valley area.

Thank you possible there is a Turtle totem in all those, the Algonquin Nation and the Miami tribe and the Shawnee.

That is a large Totem.
edit on 16-9-2012 by Hermit777 because: Forgot

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Interesting. Do you know what a totem was used for? The university claims to be super interested in this site, but they really are not helping me to understand much!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Ugh. Been trying to find time to type up a nice little history report for you, but it's just bad timing! Seems like I can only get on here for a few minutes here and there throughout the day.

I've been having what my doctor says is probably retinal migraines. Going half (lower half) blind in my right eye followed by 4-7 days of migraine headaches on the right side of my head. Yuck! Then a stomach ulcer, probably from the stress of it. And to top it off... my SIL is getting married this weekend, with my 3 children and husband included in the wedding party, and I am supposed to help decorate.

You probably didn't need to know all that, but Eeek!

So here's the super short version for now:

This part of land was left as reservation land. At some point (after the civil war I think) it was to become free for the taking basically. Their time would be up and they would be expected to assimilate or move west.

The settlers started moving in and claiming land before the time was up officially, so the area the natives could live in became smaller and smaller. Eventually they dispersed, married swedish men (not the other way around), or were shot. Yep. Many many many were killed. Sad times

The mound rests on one of the very last bits of land they were allowed to stay on. Since then it has been farm land. There have been plenty of interesting artifacts found in the area, but I really cannot find any known history beyond that. Some of the pieces found have been dated thousands of years old, so I don't know what the age of the mound could be.

The indians there were called Sac or Fox, two tribes that I think shared blood-ties as they often married outside their own tribe. Like I said earlier, those were probably not their native tribal names, but I need to find the chapters I read to see if I can get more accurate info on that for you.

Something I find interesting...
I saw some show that featured the serpent mound in ohio. It said that there was something like an ancient mine underneath containing limestone. There was even a place where a big block or pillar of limestone had been, and there are different theories about the purpose it may have served.
Anyway, I can tell you for sure that this turtle sits on top of limestone as well. Very nearby there is even a limestone quarry that would often make our house and ground shake from the blasts (pretty close!) I even found a large chunk just behind our backyard in a field after a blasting day. That was a little scary! lol

So.. does anyone here have any ideas or theories regarding the limestone? Just coincidence, or did they put them in these areas for a reason??
edit on 17-9-2012 by Niecedenise because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Very interesting. I must admit something trivial - my first thought upon seeing the title was of a 1978 film entitled The Bermuda Depths. Saw it when I was a kid. Always stuck with me. Apparently stuck with a lot of people from reading the IMDB boards relating to the film. The film centers around a giant turtle. As I said, trivial.

I've visited Poverty Point a great number of times as mound-building interests me greatly. It's the largest earthworks site in the nation and I believe the bird is the second largest mound anywhere. There's quite an unusual feeling on those grounds. The lengths to which we as humans will go to connect with God are always impressive, whether a cathedral or earthworks such as these.

I'm fully amazed that you discovered this. A fine accomplishment.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AvisNigra

Thanks! I am very happy to have stumbled upon it, but I feel more like it found me. Never would have happened if there wasn't an urgent sense that I needed to see what was there. Wierd, I know, but I can never just be normal! lol

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

reply to post by AvisNigra

Thanks! I am very happy to have stumbled upon it, but I feel more like it found me. Never would have happened if there wasn't an urgent sense that I needed to see what was there. Wierd, I know, but I can never just be normal! lol

Normal is overrated.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Oddly enough, thats a very similar layout to Gobekli Tepii. Hmm...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gemdog

Do you mean the circle within a circle?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

No, more like a puzzle piece. Not really turtle-like.
Compare the google earth image and the link I provided. They seem very similar from overhead.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Interesting. Do you know what a totem was used for? The university claims to be super interested in this site, but they really are not helping me to understand much!

Totems are used for many things mostly protection and marking an area. The Great Turtle is one of the Old Creation Stories by the Eastern Tribes. There was only the Great Turtle then She created Land and Ocean and then Deposited the Great original Tribe there, which later Broke up. Iriquois from which the Eastern Nations Came from out to the Okalala and other tribes that White men called the Sioux, we call Ocalalala or in English "The People".

The Great Turtle is part of Many N.A. Nations Oral Histories Mostly those that DO NOT have Asian Blood. Did not come over that Land Bridge

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Get this Movies it has many of the Oral Histories i learned Growing up at Pow Wows

Dreamkeeper Starring August Schellenberg, Eddie Spears, Gary Farmer, et al. (2004)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Thanks Hermitt! I can't wait until I've get a little quiet time to look that up!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Here is an image (shrunk down a bit) sent to me by the archaeologist, and was taken in 2005. I marked in light blue around the house I lived in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join